Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-23-2003, 11:54 PM
Inactive User

Default Could I be a bad fuel pump?

Hi All
Been having a starting problem with my Q-Jet equiped 318. When I get in the car, pump the gas once and crank. Engine starts and runs for a couple of seconds, just enough for the bowls to empty and then dies. Takes some enthusiastic cranking to get it started. This problem started when i got this rebuilt Q-Jet installed on my car, but of course it has gotten worse. I always figured it was a crap rebuild job, but one guy recently told me it might be the fuel pump getting weak also.
Any thoughts?
Erik

BTW, it has an electric choke, on an Edelbrock Performer manifold. Vapor canister has been disconnected, and lines plugged.
Old 07-23-2003, 11:56 PM
Inactive User

Default Could *IT* be a bad fuel pump!

Of course, I am fairly certain that I am not a bad fuel pump!
Erik
Old 07-24-2003, 12:50 AM
Banned

It sounds like a bad pump letting the pressure leakl down. Also toss that Q jet and replace it with a new thermoquad from Advance for around 189.00. You'll get a lot more performance from it than you will from that quadra junk.
Old 07-25-2003, 12:48 AM
Inactive User

Default What carb?

Hey DWC.
What Advance carb did you use for $189? Oddly enough, I work for Advance, and the only small primary, non Lean Burn, carbs we have are for early 80's 318 trucks.
Erik
Old 07-25-2003, 02:47 AM
Banned

My brother is an 8 year manager at Advance too. I use a '72 440 thermoquad. Same spread bore as teh old quadrajunk. MAtter of fact the only reason the got quadrajunks in the first place is because Carter was bought out by Fedral Mogal. Chrysler needed a spread bore for the last run of trooper cars and the quadrajunk was cheaper than Holley so that's why the junk is on there. I can get you a carb number. I still have one in the box I think on my shelf. I'll look latter on and see.
Old 07-25-2003, 11:55 AM
Inactive User

yeah a number would be good, I need a spreadbore too, looked at that edlebrock one for $550 after using holleys for this long you can imagine what I said about that.
Oh yeah, and my wifes a manager at advance too.
Old 07-26-2003, 09:25 PM
Inactive User

Default DUH!

Well, call me an idiot. I am so deeply into small block thinking that I forgot totally about the big block TQ's we have available. We have PLENTY of them.
BTW, I run the Peach St Advance auto store in Erie PA, and we are VERY Mopar friendly there. If I can ever help anyone in the Erie area, please do let me know.
Erik
Old 07-26-2003, 09:44 PM
Inactive User

Default Re: Could I be a bad fuel pump?

Quote:
Originally posted by Bigerik
Hi All
Been having a starting problem with my Q-Jet equiped 318. When I get in the car, pump the gas once and crank. Engine starts and runs for a couple of seconds, just enough for the bowls to empty and then dies. Takes some enthusiastic cranking to get it started. This problem started when i got this rebuilt Q-Jet installed on my car, but of course it has gotten worse. I always figured it was a crap rebuild job, but one guy recently told me it might be the fuel pump getting weak also.
Any thoughts?
Erik

BTW, it has an electric choke, on an Edelbrock Performer manifold. Vapor canister has been disconnected, and lines plugged.
Most cars w/ the vapor cannisters use a closed fuel tank.. IE: a unvented cap.
If you plugged the lines, and didn't make other arrangements, you have no tank vent.. The fuel pump will eventually pull a vac on the tank, and fuel will cease to flow.. BTDT!!!
Old 07-27-2003, 07:11 AM
Inactive User

Default You are so right....

Hey Geezer.
Been wondering about that myself. When I do the TQ conversion in the next few weeks, one of the first things I will do is hook up the canister again. Been leaving the cap loosely on in hopes that might help, but to be honest, I could never understand why the previous owner did away with it. It does nothing to hurt performance. Just makes the car run better.
Hey, is there any way to check if the Vapor canister is still good?
Thanks
Erik
Old 07-27-2003, 09:11 AM
Inactive User

Question Cannister test??

I'm not real familar w/ the operational tests. I have the can on my Turbo Buick, and it's a pain, as it has to have vac/boost check valve, and is ECM controlled.
I can tell you that rough use and age will cause the charcoal to turn to powder and clog stuff up.
When I take 1 off a Buick, I put a cheapo plastic fuel filter in the line from the tank... Wala! clean air allowed to the tank....

HTH,

Back to working on my engine stand so it'll hold the new 850# HEMI!!
Old 07-27-2003, 04:21 PM
Banned

Yes the charcocl can get pulled up into the lines and stop them up. Plus the filter that's on the bottom of the canister is not available either. Just do away with it. Plug the lines at the tank and put a vented cap on the filler kneck. If you cant find one remove the cap and drill a 1/8 hole in the center which is more than large enough to handle the venting.