Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-25-2003, 12:12 PM
Inactive User

Default Correct Z-bar for '72 Demon 4spd 340?

I have a '72 Dodge Demon with a 340 4 speed. I want to service the Z-bar bushings and noticed the Z-bar doesn't seem to fit properly. It looks like it's too narrow between the frame bracket and the engine. I think the car originally had a 318, so I figured the Z-bar would have been correct for a small-block 3 speed. Is there a spacer or bracket that should be between the engine/tranny and the z-bar stud? Would a big block z-bar fit better? What do you think guys? Thanks.
Old 07-25-2003, 02:01 PM
Inactive User

As far as I know, which isn't far enough when it comes to Z-bars, the only difference that might be in the Z that came on the car is if it had the smaller flywheel/clutch housing. I don't *THINK* that's the case, I'm thinking that all v-8's had the same units, with 6-cyls having the small stuff. In my quest for the right setup, I butchered the hell out of my original 6-cyl parts to make them work with the v-8 I installed in my 69 Valiant. What I found is that the 6-cyl Z is about 1" longer than the v-8 part, and it's all on one side. The lever arrangement and location appear to be the same, otherwise. After putting a metal blade on the Skil saw, I had the right part finally. Well, it works anyways. I feel like it should be level with the ground, and it's not, but it clears the TTI headers, the t-bars, and the starter, so I'm not complaining. We'll see if I can get it all back together after the engine gets swapped out...
Are you using the same bell housing that came in the car? Is the bushing lock (the wire clip) keeping the bushing from getting to the right position? Is the bell housing pivot the same?
Clair
Old 07-25-2003, 02:08 PM
Inactive User

I have a 72 Duster with a 340 and I found the same problem. When I bought the kit with the new plastic bushings and the pivot balls I noticed the new pivots were a bit longer and would not fit so I re-used the old pivots. Now that I switched bellhousings to a Lakewood, I find that now the new, longer ones fit. Not sure what to make of it, think maybe I had the wrong kit? dunno, all's well tho.
One possibility is that the motor is not sitting on the motor mounts evenly, possible to have it a bit to the left or right and make fitting difficult.

Good Luck.