Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-28-2003, 04:40 PM
Inactive User

Question Volt Meter Pegged !!!

Could anyone tell me why my alternator, would go to max charge and then back to normal, after turning car off and then re-starting? I have a 68 Satellite w/440, Mopar electronic ignition w/black voltage regulator and a new Nippendenso alt. I have had no problems until yesterday when I first started it and had only gone less then a mile when I noticed the volt meter had pegged (17+ volts). I pulled over and looked the engine compartment over. I hit the throttle and heard the alt. belt slipping badly. I shut it down and saw that the paint on my newly painted alt. pulley was blistering and flaking off. I guess from the belt slipping (because the alt. was working so hard) it got really hot. After re-starting and driving the rest of the way home the alt. worked fine. Any suggestions? Is the voltage regulator about to go? What might have caused this and will it happen again?

Thanks
Old 07-28-2003, 06:27 PM

Either a faulty voltage regulater or a problem with the wiring in the field circuit.
Old 07-28-2003, 07:34 PM
Inactive User

For whatever the reason you were getting battery voltage to the field or a good ground causing the alt to go full tilt. You didn't spec the reg except for color so can't comment on it other than "maybe". The '68 was originally a "one wire" set-up but since it now has a ND alt it could be either way. The reg has to match the set-up. (1 or 2 wire) Could also be in the harness between the alt and reg.
Old 07-28-2003, 10:26 PM

jelsr - you don't have to use the newer reg (rectangular with triangular connector) with the ND alt. You just tie one of the field leads to ground and the other goes to the original style (now day solid state internals) reg.
Old 07-29-2003, 12:27 AM
Inactive User

Ed, you referring to a direct replacement for the point type single wire unit?
Jim
Old 07-29-2003, 05:07 PM

If you go to a parts store and try to get a replacement for the relay type regulator, what you will get is one that has solid state internals, even though it looks the same on the outside.