Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-29-2003, 09:55 AM
Inactive User

Help Pulling gas tank

Hi all,
Just a quick question since this is the first gas tank I've pulled.

I have an old shop manual for my 72 RR (actually the manual is for a Satellite - close enough) that makes it look pretty easy.
My fill tube is actually disconnected from the bumper so it should just come down with the tank without fuss. Two straps and it "should" be down, or at least from what I see.

Here's the question...I'm going to drill into the tank. I have a plan to catch the shavings, but what I'm really nervous about is becoming extra crispy. Other than draining the tank (plan to do that before I drop the tank) and working in a well ventilated area anything else I should do (hints or suggestions)?

I have a cordless Dewalt drill for the drilling task and I'm tapping the tank for the return line on the electric pump.

Thanks!
Old 07-29-2003, 10:02 AM
Inactive User

You might want to fill it with water, you may want to use a hand powered drill, so no elc. and no spark.
Old 07-29-2003, 10:17 AM
Inactive User

Smile Thanks!

Quote:
Originally posted by amxauto-x
You might want to fill it with water, you may want to use a hand powered drill, so no elc. and no spark.
That's a good suggestion about the hand powered drill. I did not think of that.

On filling the tank with water, will that pose a problem after I drain the water and let the tank dry? Some water floating with gas? I guess it would work it's way out eventually.
Old 07-29-2003, 11:07 AM
Inactive User

Default Re: Thanks!

Quote:
Originally posted by Bagherra

That's a good suggestion about the hand powered drill. I did not think of that.

On filling the tank with water, will that pose a problem after I drain the water and let the tank dry? Some water floating with gas? I guess it would work it's way out eventually.
Let the tank set in the sun for 1 day this summer and it should be nice and dry.
There is some water in the gas even as you pump it at the gas station. Condensation in their big tanks and junk in the tankers when they deliver it to the station. Did you know up untill lately the some of the same tankes that delivered the fuel also delivered vegitable oils and milk and such to the prossesers
Old 07-29-2003, 11:57 AM
Banned

The bowl and metering block gaskets in your Demon carb are coated with a red material which is water soluable and not fuel soluable...if you see the carb bleeding you have water in the fuel.

Fill with water and drill
Old 07-29-2003, 04:32 PM
Inactive User

I like the idea of using a hand drill. Maybe thats being overly cautious, but a few years ago a guy at a local Radiator repair shop had a fuel tank blow up on him. It knocked him across the room, so the story goes.

They said he had filled the tank with water before he touched the torch to it, but there must have been atleast a small pocket in the tank that the water didn't reach.

Be careful!
Old 07-29-2003, 04:38 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by Blaine Peterson
I like the idea of using a hand drill. Maybe thats being overly cautious, but a few years ago a guy at a local Radiator repair shop had a fuel tank blow up on him. It knocked him across the room, so the story goes.

They said he had filled the tank with water before he touched the torch to it, but there must have been atleast a small pocket in the tank that the water didn't reach.

Be careful!
There are also fumes trapped in the pores of the metal. That's why when you use a torch, you keep your head and all as far away as possible and use a long reach. Make sure the tank is compleatly full and wave the torch over the opening a couple times to ignite any fumes. Even then it's no promise it won't blow.
Old 07-29-2003, 04:53 PM
Inactive User

If you're just going for a return line, do it in the removeable cover that the present line goes through. All that's in it now are the outlet and the sender connection, then you can work on it without the inherent dangers of the tank. Drill the hole small and then roll it out to size with a punch and solder your tubing then put it back on the tank.
Old 07-29-2003, 05:10 PM
Inactive User

No boom? :-)

Quote:
Originally posted by jelsr
If you're just going for a return line, do it in the removeable cover that the present line goes through. All that's in it now are the outlet and the sender connection, then you can work on it without the inherent dangers of the tank. Drill the hole small and then roll it out to size with a punch and solder your tubing then put it back on the tank.
I like that idea! What is on there now is an AN fitting.

Could I get a T fitting of some type to put on there? Then one part of the T would be for the fuel send and the other for the return.

Would something like this work? I guess I could try it...I like that idea better than punching a hole in my tank.
Old 07-29-2003, 07:00 PM
Inactive User

I used to clean tanks by filling with water and detergent. Add steel marbles and swish around for a few minutes. Rinsed again thouroghly and let sun dry for a day or two. Clean enough for porcelain lining after that. If you were to add a detergent to the water and swish without draining before you drill, it should be a quick drain and refill for a good cleaning of possible shavings after.....