Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-31-2003, 06:54 PM
Inactive User

Default aluminum or steel roller rocker arms whats better

Hey there mopar people. for a mopar 360 w/ edlebrock heads what is better for adjustable roller rocker arms? aluminum or steel? comp cams has steel roller shaft rocker arms, anyone tried them? crane adjustable roller aluminum rocker arms? and also the edle heads instructions say that a 7.375" pushrod needs to be used ? do i need to measure the pushrods length or go by the instructions in the box? once again thanks for all replies!!!
Old 07-31-2003, 11:02 PM
Inactive User

I put Crane aluminum rockers in my 340, which has about 4,000 miles on it, and like them so far. The only thing special about the pushrods is that you need a cup on one end - no big deal, they're fairly cheap and readily available. I'm restoring a 70 GTX now with a 440 and I used Comp's steel rollers. The problem with those is you have to use a adjustable pushrod and do a test fit to measure what the correct length should be. There is a oil hole in the adjustment stud that has to be centered in the rocker body to provide proper oiling. Then you have to dish out more big bucks (because you already did when you bought the rockers) for their "Hi Tech" special length pushrods. I do believe the Comp's will be stronger and last longer than the aluminum rockers, but only time will tell. If you're not sure about what Edlebrock says, buy a $10 adjustable pushrod and check the length. If you're not sure how to do it, go to Comp's web site, they discribe it there. Also if you plan to use the factory steel valve covers, be prepared to put dents in the baffles or the rockers will put them in for you (not good). The Crane rockers were just barely hitting mine so I had to do some minor hammer work. Don't let this discourage you from using roller rockers, but just be ready for a little extra work to install them correctly.
Hope this is some useful info.
Old 08-01-2003, 08:41 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

I used the Comp Cams roller rockers.Aluminum units. Just fine.