Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-31-2003, 11:54 PM
Inactive User

Default Final Overheating Question

All right, here's the zinger for the night.

Can a car be VERY VERY overheated and still have water vapor coming out of the tailpipes?

I can almost guarantee that the problem I've been having is electrical. Today, my gauge showed halfway, now it's full on hot. The real certainty came when I turned on my lights and the temperature went up.

Either A: my electrical system is heating up my block

or B: my gauge has some sort of problem with recieving a circuit from the block.
Old 08-01-2003, 10:20 AM
Inactive User

Biggrin I'd guess!!

The answer is "B"!!
I'd do the "spring cleaning" on the entire electrical system. Clean and/or replace any/all suspect connections, sending units, wires. SOLDER and shrink wrap all connections.
I use the QD electronic cleaner and di-electric grease on all the stuff I work on, ESPECIALLY electronics like ECM's, relays, etc.
Just be sure the cleaner you get says "safe for plastics" on the can!!!

HTH
Old 08-01-2003, 10:33 AM
Inactive User

What are you talking about water vapor comming out the pipes? If its really steam "B" is not your only problem. You are getting water in the combustion chambers. ie blown head gasket, cracked/ warped head, etc. Is there any oil in the coolant or water in the oil?
Old 08-01-2003, 10:37 AM
Inactive User

Can't say on your ride, but some of the pickups had what was called a voltage limiter behind the dash and when it went over the hill the guages would go bonkers. Can't say for sure they were used on cars but is possible. Seems they were fastened to or were part of one of the other guages.
Old 08-01-2003, 12:47 PM
Inactive User

Not water vapor, just a little condensation when the car is cold. Ya know, you start your car on a cold morning, the car puts out a little steam for a while then when it warms up, it stops? Can it do that when it's hot?

I think the electrical system is the next BIG bear I have to tackle. The turn signals don't work when the brake lights go on, and other more pleasant stuff.

Anyone have a wiring diagram for a 65 barracuda I can copy?
Old 08-01-2003, 12:52 PM
Inactive User

Test the output of the alt. and check the regulater also. Check all the wireing connections for corrosion and the battery ground to the block and block the body strap.
Old 08-01-2003, 01:23 PM

Do the fuel and oil pressure gauges act odd (swing further to the right) when you turn on the headlights? If they do, then you are most likely looking at a faulty dash voltage regulator. If it is just the temp that acts up when you turn on the head lights, then I would look for something in that circuit.
Old 08-01-2003, 01:52 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by mrpoptart
Not water vapor, just a little condensation when the car is cold. Ya know, you start your car on a cold morning, the car puts out a little steam for a while then when it warms up, it stops? Can it do that when it's hot?

I think the electrical system is the next BIG bear I have to tackle. The turn signals don't work when the brake lights go on, and other more pleasant stuff.

Anyone have a wiring diagram for a 65 barracuda I can copy?
Its "B" follow the other post on tracking the grimlen. Wish I could help on the diagram. Time and a volt/ohm meter is all can offer, but check all grounds, a floating ground can do really weird things
Old 08-01-2003, 02:45 PM

Not unless you have coolant in the combustion chamber.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mrpoptart
[B]Not water vapor, just a little condensation when the car is cold. Ya know, you start your car on a cold morning, the car puts out a little steam for a while then when it warms up, it stops? Can it do that when it's hot?
Old 08-02-2003, 05:30 AM
Inactive User

Your electrical system CAN definitely effect the reading of your guages.

I had the same issue. Last summer my factory temp guage that originally read toward the cool side would swing way to the H and would settle down at idle. Replacing the radiator and thermostat did nothing so I took a meat thermometer and actually measured the temp -- 190-195 degrees - PERFECT.

A few weeks ago I found a short in my electrical system and had to replace the battery, alternator, and my aftermarket guages.

The short was in my aftermarket guages (specifically in the ammeter); if you've installed any, you may want to check there first to make sure everything's tight.

I replaced my aftermarket guages and the temp reads normal (on the cool side) and there are no swings.

Bottom line, use a meat thermometer to give yourself some piece of mind that the car is running at proper temp. Then find that short. (If you're like me, you HATE shorts.)

Terry