Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-30-1999, 03:03 PM
Inactive User

I saw a master cylinder heat shield advertised in one of the
magazines.I made my own out of some galvinized sheet metal.Should you also protect the brake lines, in the engine compartment, with some sort of heat wrap.It's an a-body with headers,383,race only. THANX
Old 12-30-1999, 04:31 PM
Inactive User

I dont know what headers you are using,but I dont have any type of heat shielding on the master cylinder or brake lines,due to the fact I'm running the underchassis headers.I have seen some that use the Hooker full fenderwell headers and all they have done is insulate the master cylinder.Some have also made a shield that goes under the brake lines out of the master cylinder.From your other posts,this sounds like a real nice car,and I can tell you've put a lot of work into it.Anyway you can post some pictures??
Old 12-30-1999, 05:09 PM
Inactive User

I like to use Thermo-Tec header wrap, although there are several brands that are all pretty much the same. This stuff is a bit of a pain to install, and makes your hands feel like you just insulated your attic, but well worth it. I have heard that it causes headers to rust out on the street, but I run it all the time and have had no problems so far. The wrap can reduce underhood temperatures a lot and can even save your skin if you brush up against the header tube when they are hot. I can't imagine how many starters this stuff has saved me. Well worth the trouble!

------------------
~Elwenil~ ~.\|/.~

[This message has been edited by Elwenil (edited December 30, 1999).]
Old 12-31-1999, 08:04 AM
Inactive User

I use it only in my Dart where the headers are only about 1/2" off the master cylinder. I have also wrapped the headers with thermo-tec. I know it makes the headers rust, but these headers are four years old and still in good condition. In the Valiant with the Hokker Super Comps there is no insulation, no heat wrap and no problems.