Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-08-2003, 01:51 AM
Inactive User

Default oberg oil filter system - oil coming out of BOTH lines??

hey all, i'm using my dads oberg oil filter from his race car. didn't know which oil line was the "IN", and which one was the "OUT" for the filter... so when i primed it, i put both lines in a clean coffee can, and oil came out of both?? wtf? am i missing somthin? there IS one line that gets the oil faster, but they both pump oil out.

btw, with the lines hooked up, and with my black and decker drill, i have almost 80psi
Old 08-08-2003, 09:37 AM
Inactive User

The 2 Obergs I've used were marked IN and OUT. The OUT will be the half that has a 'grating' to support the screen. Obergs will give more pressure, as they are more of a strainer and not filter, which gives less resistence to oil flow.

Cecil
Old 08-08-2003, 03:02 PM
Inactive User

i wish i had my grandma's digital camera to take a picture...but i'll try to explain this in more detail.

there is an adapter on the block, with 2 hydraulic lines coming off it (one for center hole, and one that collects all from outer holes). the lines travel up my fender and toward the front, that connect to a "box" that contains the filter, or screen. on the "box", it is marked IN and OUT but it's for the flow. the line that carries the oil OUT of the BLOCK goes to the IN of the BOX. this is the first time ever for me using a remote filter (which flows awesome in the parts washer - cleaning it). my dad was even confused when the oil came out of both lines! and it's his system, but he was using it on a chevy 400sb. i ordered an adapter from PAW, cuz the threads/size wasn't the same with the chevy adapter.

any ideas??
Old 08-08-2003, 03:11 PM
Inactive User

this is a 340/360?
Old 08-08-2003, 03:13 PM
Inactive User

yes, this is on my 340 that i just put in the car. just hookin stuffs up etc to get her fired up. i decided to try this oberg filter cuz it filters so much better than a paper filter. that and it kinda looks cool
Old 08-08-2003, 03:22 PM
Inactive User

Is there a bypass valve in the block under the adaptor plate?
Take the outside new adaptor off and the factory plate off. Is there a bypass valve under that factory plate? I'm trying to picture that. It's been a while since I did the 360 in the van. 1991.
Maybe someone has a picture of that view without the plate on.
Old 08-08-2003, 03:26 PM
Inactive User

plate, or that middle screw thing?? i've taken the middle screw thing off (where the filters thread onto) and there is nuttin under there.

question. where is the oil supposed to come out of the block?? from the middle, or the outer holes?? i'll check my lines accordingly.
Old 08-08-2003, 03:34 PM
Inactive User

The oil comes from the pump out the mutiple outside holes, thru the filter then back into the block thru the middle hole.

If you take off the pipe/screw adaptor that you screw the original filter on, there is a plate under it.
That plate is where all those mutiple holes are located in.
There should also be a gasket between that plate and the block.
Old 08-08-2003, 03:37 PM
Inactive User

ok. i'll have to make sure i got that right. there is a gasket between the adapter and the plate. its a rubber 0-ring, but it works, no leaks. and i greased it before install... i didn't know the plate came off...i just knew about the middle bit where the threads were for the filters...
Old 08-08-2003, 03:45 PM
Inactive User

Oil to filter should come from outer hole. Oil back to block should go to inner hole.
Obergs don't filter more, they filter less. That's why they give a higher pressure and flow rate. They don't trap as small a particle as normal filters. But they are easy to clean and inspect with little oil loss if mounted horizontally.

Cecil
Old 08-08-2003, 03:45 PM
Inactive User

That plate is held on by the middle 'pipe'. If you intend to take it off then you may have to use a screw driver. Just be careful not to bend it. But you know that. I'm just trying to find a picture of what's behind that plate.
Old 08-08-2003, 04:15 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by Slant Cecil
Oil to filter should come from outer hole. Oil back to block should go to inner hole.
Obergs don't filter more, they filter less. That's why they give a higher pressure and flow rate. They don't trap as small a particle as normal filters. But they are easy to clean and inspect with little oil loss if mounted horizontally.

Cecil
have you seen an oberg screen?? it's kinda hard to look through it, but surprisingly enuff, when i used my parts washer (flowing fluid) and put the screen under it, the solvent went right through without any problems. that, and my dad has seen the oberg filter catch MUCH smaller things than the conventional paper. which is why i decided to use it.
Old 08-08-2003, 04:16 PM
Inactive User

There is an outside chance that the core plug beween the oil out and oil in passages is missing in the block. This would allow the engine to get plenty of oil, but none would get filtered. If it were missing, you would get oil out of both hoses.
Old 08-08-2003, 04:20 PM
Inactive User

That plug is under the plate. But I don't remember if there is a bypass valve in there as well.
And I can't find a picture on the web.
Old 08-08-2003, 04:27 PM
Inactive User

Chebbies used to have a bypass on their oil filter mount, but not on mopars, at least not A, LA, B or RB. I can't remember if early hemis did or not. The untapped hole under the filter plate is the pressure side and the return is the center. I would for sure check for the pipe tap plug in the other hole before running it though. Make sure you get the right gasket on there or it's leak city, and while you have it off, enlarge the holes in the plate or add four more inbetween the current ones.

I do believe a paper filter of good quality will kick the Oberg's ass on how small of a particle it will pick up, and it will filter a lot more before plugging up.
Old 08-08-2003, 05:02 PM
Inactive User

The plug I am talking about is a sheet metal core plug that is inside the block. It goes in the passage that goes from the oil pump outlet under the main cap up to the main gallery on the right side. You can't really see if it is there from outside the block, but you can see light out the other hole if you shine a light in, if the plug is missing.
Old 08-08-2003, 05:09 PM
Inactive User

Ok, that plug has been mentioned before when others have had problems. To put one in, the engine has to come back out. Unless you can take the pan off on a piticular vehical.