Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-09-2003, 01:33 AM
Inactive User

Default help 86 318

help i have a 86 dodge p/u with a 318 someone changed distributer and added points , everthing seems right i have spark still wont run,anyone know of what i have to do to eliminate the computer sys or what other year modle carb/ intake i can use thaks dac5560@aol .com
Old 08-09-2003, 02:12 AM
Inactive User

huh points on a newer 318... odd... did u check and see if ur getting any fuel.. have u tried to spray some starter fuild in the carb or poor gas in it...?? is the gas old?? u dont have any computer shit... so i dont know what else to tell u?

>> try and check those things and see if that solves ur prob
Old 08-09-2003, 02:33 AM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

Align the crank on TDC compression stroke. Then pop the top off the distibutor and see if it is even close to pointing at the number one plug wire. When you try and kick it over do you get smoke out the exaust? When is the last time, or have you ever seen this 318 run? Let us know.
73 Swinger
76 Ram 3/4 Ton
77 Ram Shortbed 1/2 Ton
74 Duster w/318
92 Sundance
89 LeBarron Convertable Turbo
Old 08-10-2003, 04:06 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up help 318

hey guys figured it out , i hd never seen this engine run it was a repo, and i'm guessing a few different people worked on it . it turns out thetimeing chain was one of the worst ive ever seenand it was 180 out , so should i try to repair the computer sys, or what would u suggest , id like to get rideof the holly two barrel although it sounds ok, and think i'll up grade to a 70s model electronic ign , i added one to my 69 charger {big block)and it wassimple once i found the stuff. but i would love any suggestions as i am surrouned by chevy and ford people info is hard to find here as ive been out of mopars for about 15 years , thanks for the help doug
Old 08-10-2003, 04:27 PM
Banned

Heres what to do. Put a double roller timing chain in it. They will last forever. Next put a Weiand action plus intake on it with a stock Thermoquad. Tq runs around 189 new at Advance auto. And put an msd 6 box on it. It will cost you about the same as the other electronic stock set up.
Old 08-10-2003, 10:32 PM
Inactive User

Default another option

if the points system is running and the distributor seems ok, Petronix makes a NEAT drop in system to replace the points that i have used on my jeep. works really well, and with a better coil gives one heck of a spark.

just another option.

btw usually see them on ebay for under $50 shipped. and NO i don't sell them.

sean
Old 08-12-2003, 10:31 PM
Inactive User

318 he

thank for the replys folks , i just happen to have a used thermoquad in the shop guess, i love them , they are a very under rated carb , i guess onesize fits all, with a little jeting , now just need aline on a intake gues a stock 4 bbl, as this is a low budget deal till i get a couple other projects finished , any way thanks all Doug