Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-12-2003, 01:02 PM
Inactive User

Default loss of oil preasure

I'm looking for a second opinion on a problem. I have a 273 that is losing oil preasure when you accelerate quickly, stop quickly, or go up hill quickly. When you are driving on level ground preasure is fine. On startup, it takes a few seconds to get oil preasure. The car just started this. My question, is it the pickup tube, or the oil pump, or both? any suggestions?
Old 08-12-2003, 10:10 PM
Inactive User

Did you do anything just before this started? When was the last time you changed oil & filter? What type oil (Wt) are you using? How many miles on the engine, oil pump, and what type of driving do you do and how offen do you service the engine? Are you sure you gauge is correct?
Old 08-13-2003, 09:21 AM
Inactive User

Thanks for responding 23T,

The car is driven maybe once a week to work or out cruising around, the car doesn't get real hard use. I store the car in the winter time, the salt here is murder on a car. Anyway, I generally service the car every year when I start it. I have been using Fram filters, with Mobil 10-40 oil. The car was restified about 7 years ago, the engine has maybe 10,000 miles on it. I have both the idiot light and a after market gauge on the car, both indicate low preasure. Maybe a bad sensor? Maybe I will try and replace the sensor before dropping the pan.
Old 08-13-2003, 11:47 AM

Well, you should have an oil pressure switch for the idiot light and a sender for the gauge. As both are giving you indications of low pressure, I wouldn't suspect them.

Check your oil. See if it smells of gasoline. If it does, you could have a leaky diaphram on the fuel pump.

Check your oil level. If you had a small leak and now it's low, it will give the same indications.
Old 08-13-2003, 11:53 AM
Inactive User

Ed-

Thanks for response. I haven't noticed any gas smell in the oil, and the oil level is good. I have also talked with someone who said they had similiar problem in a 360. They changed oil weight and the problem went away.
Old 08-13-2003, 11:59 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by ehostler
Well, you should have an oil pressure switch for the idiot light and a sender for the gauge. As both are giving you indications of low pressure, I wouldn't suspect them.

Check your oil. See if it smells of gasoline. If it does, you could have a leaky diaphram on the fuel pump.

Check your oil level. If you had a small leak and now it's low, it will give the same indications.
I agree the sending unit and the presure switch ,both are doing their job.
And as ehostler said double check your oil levle.
Old 08-13-2003, 12:33 PM

Changing oil weight to cure the problem is the symptom of either a weak oil pump or a main bearing that has begun to move.

Changing oil weight is just a bandage. Locate the actual problem and fix it, before it gets worse. 10 - 40 should be plenty thick for your engine, unless you allow it to run too hot. Most people use straight 30 weight or 5 - 30.
Old 08-13-2003, 12:39 PM
Inactive User

Ed-

The weak pump was my first thought, but who likes taking the pan off, if there might be another possible answer. The oil pump is a Melling high volume unit, someone metioned that there is a pin in them that can get stuck. I guess I know what I will be doing this weekend.-

Thanks!
Old 08-13-2003, 02:09 PM
Banned

there is probably zero baffleing in the pan. and the hot-oil is just sloshing around on accel and decel.
Old 08-13-2003, 02:20 PM

or did the crapy Fram oil filter fail?
Old 08-13-2003, 02:29 PM
Inactive User

The pan is stock so I know the is little if any baffling in it. I will try an oil change and different brand of filter. There's a small show her this weekend and I would rather take the car to it than pull it apart. Besides, maybe its time I finish the 360 I got for it and put it in.

Thanks, Everyone!
Old 08-13-2003, 05:26 PM
Inactive User

Put an extra quart in it and see if the problem goes away.
Old 08-13-2003, 07:27 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by cuda60
Thanks for responding 23T,

The car is driven maybe once a week to work or out cruising around, the car doesn't get real hard use. I store the car in the winter time, the salt here is murder on a car. Anyway, I generally service the car every year when I start it. I have been using Fram filters, with Mobil 10-40 oil. The car was restified about 7 years ago, the engine has maybe 10,000 miles on it. I have both the idiot light and a after market gauge on the car, both indicate low preasure. Maybe a bad sensor? Maybe I will try and replace the sensor before dropping the pan.
Hope you find the grimlin and its an easy fix but my thoughs on changing oil once a year differ, I change my oil on the T every 90 days oil can become contaminated just setting in the pan and not break down
Old 08-13-2003, 08:26 PM
Inactive User

Default ?

My first thought was like 70Ted. Get rid of those damn Fram filters.
My next thought is, did you check to see if the pickup is down on the pan floor? Pull the drain plug and look in there and make sure the screen end of the pickup is within 3/8" of the bottom and parallel to the sump bottom.
Did you possibly leave a paper towel or shop rag in the engine, when you had it open? Could somebody else have left such in there?
The only other solution I can think of is a loose oil pump, plugged or cracked pickup, or stuck relief valve.
Old 08-13-2003, 10:34 PM
Inactive User

I would put a temporary mechanical oil pressure gauge on the engine to see what the pressure actually is. The problem could be electrical as it sounds to me that you are using two different types of electric instruments. May not have an oil pressure problem after all.

If the oil pressure is indeed acting as you described, then you do have a problem that needs to be fixed.
Things to look for before you take the pan off:
Are you hearing or feeling knocking noises at cold start-up before the oil pressure has built up?
Is the bottom of your oil pan dented badly?
Does the crank have too much endplay?
Did adding an extra quart of oil appear to make the problem go away?
Did a filter change help?

Billy
Old 08-13-2003, 11:01 PM
Inactive User

Default Re: loss of oil preasure

Quote:
I'm looking for a second opinion on a problem. I have a 273 that is losing oil preasure when you accelerate quickly, stop quickly, or go up hill quickly. When you are driving on level ground preasure is fine. On startup, it takes a few seconds to get oil preasure. The car just started this. My question, is it the pickup tube, or the oil pump, or both? any suggestions?
Again, I'd add a quart or two to it and see if that fixes it. It sounds like the oil is simply getting away from the pick-up.
Old 08-13-2003, 11:04 PM
Inactive User

Default More of a question than actual advice.

Weigh in on this:
Any chance that if he didn't pre-oil the engine after its winter sleep that he did some bearing damage on start up and now has the bearing clearance and oil pressure problems of a high mileage engine?

I'm only making a guess at this being his actual problem.
Old 08-14-2003, 09:57 AM
Inactive User

I changed oil and filter( old filter felt very light, like it had no oil in it), and oil pressure increases during take off and doesn't drop off when stopping. I want to cut open the filter and see what is in it. I bought a filter from NAPA, but am wonder what type of filter seems to be more reliable. I've read many articles regarding filters and seems everybody has a different opinion.
Old 08-14-2003, 02:27 PM
Inactive User

You say you changed the oil. How many quarts drained out?
Old 08-14-2003, 02:36 PM
Inactive User

I haven't measured it out but I would estimate 5 quarts drained out of the pan.
Old 08-14-2003, 04:31 PM
Banned

I will wager that there are NO baffles in this pan at all.
Old 08-15-2003, 09:11 PM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mister Fiberglass
I will wager that there are NO baffles in this pan at all. [/QUOT

How would baffles play a role in not having oil pressure? The car just started this, I suspect a loose pick up tube or maybe a block pickup tube. Get a mech gage as stated before, you will know what going on before its to late. It may just be a electrical problem.
Old 08-15-2003, 09:29 PM
Banned

Default Re: loss of oil preasure

Quote:
What do baffles play in oil pressure?.....in his situations?....... accel? decel?.....going up a steep hill?.....the oil is moving away from the pickup. If it was a loose tube or blocked PU screen....it would be doing it all the time.
Old 08-15-2003, 09:39 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
I changed oil and filter( old filter felt very light, like it had no oil in it), and oil pressure increases during take off and doesn't drop off when stopping. I want to cut open the filter and see what is in it. I bought a filter from NAPA, but am wonder what type of filter seems to be more reliable. I've read many articles regarding filters and seems everybody has a different opinion.
Did any oil drain out of the filter? Did you change oil WT? Did you run any type cleaner? AS far a filter type I run Wix but filter choices are like opinions and A-holes everyone has one. LOL

Glad you got the # up but find the cause so it dosnt jump up latter and cause a loud expensive noise
Old 08-15-2003, 09:41 PM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

But Im confused..........
I See, but why would a baffel problem start now? Its been this way all along. I still would install a mech oil gage first thing.
Old 08-15-2003, 09:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by 6 packin

I still would install a mech oil gage first thing.
THIS is the best move at this point !
Old 08-15-2003, 10:18 PM
Inactive User

Question Oil pressure flux?

If it were mine, I would pull the pan and look to see. Due to my past experience, I would suspect something there. Replace the oil pump and the pick-up. If you have already tried a manual oil pressure gauge! Small parts are cheaper than an entire engine and if you keep playing with it, you will need a new engine. While you have the pan off, add a baffle to the rear and the front of the pan. Personally, I suspect the pick-up but wouldn't replace just the pick-up but the pump as well.
Old 08-15-2003, 10:30 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by Mister Fiberglass

THIS is the best move at this point !
exactly, my first post I ask are you sure you gauge is right and every one assumed that since he is running two elec one idiot and one gauge both sender could'nt be wrong but the problem is he still has one one gauge the idiot light only gives of a light just before it goes boom
Old 08-16-2003, 02:02 AM

People... Did ANY you read one of his earlier posts??? He stated "I changed oil and filter( old filter felt very light, like it had no oil in it), and oil pressure increases during take off and doesn't drop off when stopping." Sounds like he had a faulty filter, so why is everyone STILL bickering about what he should do???
Old 08-18-2003, 09:00 AM
Inactive User

Thanks Ed

I opened the filter and it was almost dry. I believe the problem was a faulty filter. I drove the car this weekend to the show and everything was normal. I do have a mechanical gauge on the car as well as the electrical idiot light.

Thanks for the input everyone