Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-22-2003, 06:35 PM

Default What cam is this? Help...

I inherited this Solid Lifter cam.... It's purple between the lobes so do I assume a Mopar Cam... It's a 3 bolt cam.

It has a 901322 stamped on the end of the shaft?

Any guesses?

Thanks Much...
Old 08-23-2003, 06:42 AM
Inactive User

Default ?? cam??

Hey sublime
If you think it a mopar performance purple shaft.
Just call your locale mopar dealership parts department.
Give them that # and see what they can tell you.
Old 08-23-2003, 12:13 PM
Banned

Is it new?
Old 08-23-2003, 02:27 PM

that sure sounds like a mopar number...
Old 08-25-2003, 08:37 AM

It is not new...It came out of a motor that I inherited in the car but I had a bad cylinder so I am redoing the motor... Cam is in good shape but I need the spec's to reinstall it properly... Plus I would like to know exactly what it is so I can decide whether or not it's a good combo for the motor... I can't find any other markings on the cam except for a '1117' stamped on the shaft itself between the lobes... I looked up Mopar cam numbers and they all seem to start with a '4'.... It looks like about a .650 lift from some general measurements... What other cam is purple between the lobes... ? It seems like a Mopar number but I can't find it?
Old 08-25-2003, 08:43 AM
Banned

Do you have the lifters and are they all numbered so they can be installed on exactly the same lobes as they came off?

If you want to know for sure you could take it to a reputable machine shop or send it to us and we'll run you a profile on it.

I have no Idea what that number is.
Old 08-25-2003, 09:47 AM

Yep.. I have all the lifters numbered and ready to install cam but at what ? Whats the intake opening at .050? What is the centerline? I would need something or else I could guess looking at other similar type cams but I'm hoping that someone may recognize this thing... I've looked at every web site I could find that might have a cam for a big block Mopar but no luck... It sure seems like a mopar cam though... I will be forced to get a new cam if I can't find out what the heck this thing is... I guess it could be roller cam time for my new Mega Block!
Old 08-25-2003, 09:52 AM
Banned

"for my new Mega Block"

Your want to put a used cam in this....are you kidding me?
Old 08-25-2003, 10:12 AM

Okay.. I see your point... I was just reusing some parts from my Stroker motor... I guess a new cam after all the money spent already would not be a bad thing....

We will see how this thing performs in 2 wks... It's a 502 Stroker Mega Block with B1 heads... JE Pistons... 4.15 crank.. 4.39 bore...

It's going in my 2400 LB Tube Frame Challenger with a Glide... 5000 Stall Convertor and a Ford 9" with 4.88's...40 Spline axles... Ron's Flying toilet alcohol injection...(Milodon Gear Drive)
Car has not been run yet...

What do you think... Roller cam is what I'm thinking, especially now...

It really should have a roller cam... but I'm cheap now as I'm spending more money than I anticipated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg challenger.jpeg (87.1 KB, 35 views)
Old 08-27-2003, 06:17 PM
Inactive User

Default Relaxe

Quote:
Originally posted by SubLime440
What do you think... Roller cam is what I'm thinking, especially now...
Slow down for a secound.
Think about it,you have come this far and spent this much.
Now is not the time to be in a rush.
If you short change yourself on cam you will never use all
of what you spent your money for.
A roller is the way to go.
They are more money,I must admit.
But they are the best design to date.
There are many who will tell you this cam griner is better then that one ,and the next person will tell you just the same in reverse.
So I won't mention names.
I have had out standing results from this grind.
Tourqe range 3500-7300
lift......600
lobe center.....110
Dur.@5o.........266
When used with 32" tire 4:56 gear it pulls strong from launch to topend.
I have no idea what your planed max rpm is I perfer to hold at 6800.
As they tend to get more runs in that way.
Old 08-27-2003, 06:52 PM

* I have talked to Dave Hughes at Hughes Engines about using one of his Solid Cams..

I've had good luck with his hydraulic cams in the past...

* I could convert to a roller setup but it's not cheap for the whole setup as many of you know...Yeah... I could spend it... but this is a Bracket Car...

* His Solid cams claim to make almost as much horsepower as a roller...

I'm leaning towards the Solid Cam..
Old 08-27-2003, 07:52 PM

I would also give Jim doyle a call over at Racer Brown. He makes hydraulic cams that can produce more power than entry level solid lifter cams.

His contact info is in the phonebook sticky.
Old 08-27-2003, 08:00 PM

What solid roller cams are people on this board using... Any preferences between manufacturers...

Lunati
Comp
Crane
Engle
Ultradyne
Hughes
Racer Brown Spec'd

I have had good luck with Hughes.. I run a Lunati roller in my Cuda and it's okay....

I run a Hughes hydraulic cam in my Street car and I'm very please with it's performance...

Old 08-27-2003, 11:33 PM
Inactive User

Engle would be My pick.
Old 08-28-2003, 02:06 AM
Banned

I'd never use a Hughes Cam, but now an Engle, that's the ticket...

You guy's sound like a bunch of old women talking about the perfect color for the drapes.

Listen to what Dirty Dan is saying...facts and numbers that's what you need.

Cams are ground to fit a specific engine and car combo no two engines are identical and no two cars have exactly the same spec's.

A Hughes 3044 might be good for your Dart but the next Dart has .5 more compression, wieghs 200 #s more, has a 2" taller tire has different size valves, different heads, convertor stalls higher or lower and one drives with two throttle positions, idle and hang on..the other guy never takes his to more than 4K.

You shouldn't be talking brand names at all, you should be discussing grind numbers and vehicle specs and trying to find the right numbers for the combination.

You need to consider valve weights, installed heigths and max valve spring diameters to determine ramp speeds and valve float control.

We use Racer Brown not because his off the shelf grinds are superior or fit every application like panty hose but because he has the experience to take a standard grind number and add a little here and trim a little there, move the center line, adjust the duration, grind in or take out a little advance to make it work to the max in YOUR CAR not anyone elses car just yours.

You build a motor and Hughes specs a good cam accordingly....you install it and you get bit by the racing bug...you swap out the 3.23 gears for 4.10's, you pull the 2200 stall convertor and put in a 3500, sawzall out 300#s..now do you still have the right cam?....of course not....you see the point, you want to deal with a cam grinder who:
1. Studies your application right down to the smallest detail.
2. Grinds the cam to exacting tolerances.

You can go the "off the shelf" route and follow what everyone else does which means you'll follow everyone else or you can step out of the "Blah" box and get a professional to select the cam best for your exact application and "lead", the view is much better from up front, and believe it or not a custom ground cam costs about 20-50$ more than a shelf variety.

Jim calls me for ignition timing and carb advice on his cam applications and I call him when I need a good cam....I give him the ignition and carb specs and we factor these in to the equation so the end product is a total calculated package which makes for a very nice powerful combo. I'm not sure but I doubt we have ever ground 2 identical cams for a high performance SB Mopar.

There are others that do a good job as well like Reed, Huggins or the custom grind depts. at Isky, Crower, Cam Motion and there's others but I'm too tired to think of them all.

If they try and sell you a standard grind just keep going until someone will listen to all your details and come up with the exact profile for your combo.
Old 08-28-2003, 03:28 AM

Yes... but that's exactly my point... Go ahead and call Lunati, CompCams, Crane, etc... and see what kind of advice you get...

They basically read the verbiage off their web sites and shoehorn you into an off the shelf cam because you have a 500 cube motor in a medium to light weight car with a high stall convertor. You get to choose between 3 cams that they have for your Mopar...
Comp cams told me that they could take their "Chevy Grinds" and put them on a Mopar Stick and that would probably be a better fit anyways...

I talked to Dave Hughes and he's the first one that actually started thinking about my application and asked some logical questions... I will pay extra for his expertise as I would for a Racer Brown cam... I could guess about a cam and get pretty close but why chance it....
Old 08-28-2003, 02:05 PM
Inactive User

Why chance it!!

Thats right.
If you have even a limited knowlage of cam grinds you can tell the differance between a salesman and a cam grinder.
Wich one do you think will get you what you really need?
It may not be the bigest badest sounding mega bumpy stick.
But it will be the best for your combo.
(IF) you speak with the man that knows.
I don't mean to degrade the man that makes a liveing pushing
The cam that his boss has a wearhouse full of.
Such as the people at Jegs or summit .
But lets face it they are sales people.
They are paid to sell selected products.Wich may or may not be what your combo actually needs for best results.
If you want what is best for your combo go to the the man that knows.
Not just the man that sells.
Old 08-28-2003, 02:14 PM
Banned

Good...I'm glad you guy's can see my point and nobody took offence to my ramblings.

Gotta get ready for a road trip, another 2 day race this weekend and we're on the road tomorrow afternoon. I'lll be here until 2 if your looking for me after that i'm...... "Gone Racin"