Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-24-2003, 02:34 AM
Inactive User

Default Cant cars be supercharged??

LOL, i was just looking over the Vortech web site's application guide and I see that the only dodge things they list are trucks and jeeps. Dont they make anything for older stuff? Im aware the only dodge thing these days that have V8's ARE the trucks, but what about the years of LA's in the past? Do all those guys just have to fab their own "kit"?
Old 08-24-2003, 03:01 AM
Inactive User

Umm Jeff, did your brain get too much water in it???
Just cause it's listed for a truck doesn't mean that "if" you slap it on a LA in a car that it won't work. Just takes some "massaging"
Old 08-24-2003, 03:08 AM
Inactive User

seems like id not be the only one who would NOT go buy a $3000 kit, then have to make a new mounting bracket, find a pulley that works, make new piping, etc etc etc...

Not too much front end stuff is the same between LA and magnums (the trucks they list) But you knew that You're just a Mopar Fcuk! (only she will get that)
Old 08-24-2003, 03:19 AM
Inactive User

ROFLMAO Yes I am, however, If I was going to spend the time to buy a Mag S/C kit I would also spend the time to Put Mag heads, intake, TB. Injectors, etc etc you get the picture.
Old 08-24-2003, 03:21 AM
Inactive User

right. but i dont want all that. cant i supercharge my LA?

back in the 60s and 70s i guess they didnt have these things. then in the 80s nothing was worth of being supercharged. In the 90s and now, stuff IS worthy... but everything is a mag. is that the reasoning?
Old 08-24-2003, 06:19 AM
Inactive User

Ok here we go, what style supercharger do you want? centifrical, positive displacement, rotorary????? It's not a matter of supercharging. It's adding atmosphere to the engine. You knows. How hard do you want to work and how much money do you want to spend. Do you want mechanical or Chemical? Sounds like dating Seriously, you could get any Supercharger or turbo and make it work. Just depends on how much you want to dedicate. An 871 can easily be bolted on, just need an intake adaptor and some "custom" parts. Why am I telling you this??? I'm gonna go play now. Dufus
Old 08-24-2003, 11:20 AM
Inactive User

www.thesuperchargerstore.com

i think this will answer your prayers..
Old 08-24-2003, 12:38 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by CrazyMoparGirl
Ok here we go, what style supercharger do you want? centifrical, positive displacement, rotorary????? It's not a matter of supercharging. It's adding atmosphere to the engine. You knows. How hard do you want to work and how much money do you want to spend. Do you want mechanical or Chemical? Sounds like dating Seriously, you could get any Supercharger or turbo and make it work. Just depends on how much you want to dedicate. An 871 can easily be bolted on, just need an intake adaptor and some "custom" parts. Why am I telling you this??? I'm gonna go play now. Dufus
I realize you can make anything work on anything.... but a place like Vortech.. why wouldnt they make kits for older engines? The one kit to fit a small block LA would fit millions of cars thru a 30 year range
Old 08-24-2003, 03:05 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by FearThe4Doors

I realize you can make anything work on anything.... but a place like Vortech.. why wouldnt they make kits for older engines? The one kit to fit a small block LA would fit millions of cars thru a 30 year range
If you re-read this you will understand why they do'nt make $3000.00 kits for 30 year old cars they want to have a kit to sell to the cars on the road. You can buy parts piece meal and fab what you need, you dont have to buy the complete kit
Old 08-24-2003, 04:13 PM
Inactive User

I see where you're coming from. Its just that vortech HAS to be aware that there are still many older engines out at the track if not on the street. It seems like all they would have to do it make new brackets since they could use the same supercharger, and probably pipes and air hat. While they are waiting for a new engine design to come out, they could make the few pieces needed to add an entirely new group of people to their sales.

If it were my company, yeah.. at first I would take care of all the new cars. But as you catch up, you can start working on older stuff. K&N did that will drop in filters, GTS had headlight covers for cars in the early 80s that no one has heard of, and so on. Just seems like a place thats been around for a while would have had time to tap into the older market (if they had interest). Maybe they think that all the older engine guys tend to fab up their own stuff anyway, as new car guys like clean bolt on kits.

Either way no biggie for me. Im not set on going supercharged, although its not written off for some time in the future. I was just browsing their site and thought it was strange.

as for thesuperchargerstore.com... those things look nice! I dont know much about Prochargers.. has anyone ran one or known anyone with one? They dont seem to be as popular as Vortech. i dunno..
Old 08-24-2003, 04:43 PM
Inactive User

You got it all the old gear heads will make it work, barckets are not that hard to fab( no need for expensive machines) as far as the procharger/vortech it's a personal choice, turbos a cheap just a little more homework and fab and as far as the companys you cant have a millon dollar R&D fab a part that may sell 100 units
Old 08-24-2003, 06:24 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

MoPars are not a hot seller, there for when it comes to the alllll mighty dollor, Chevy first, ford second , MoPars 3rd. Be glad it is a Mopar you have over an Olds or AMC etc.. You will wait even longer for some stuff.
Old 08-24-2003, 10:31 PM
Inactive User

money money money. That's all it is. I'm sure if you got together 500 people willing to buy the kit, they will make it. The problem is.. after 30 years.. your engine isn't going to be the way it was, and mine isn't going to match yours either.

take a brand new 5.9, and it's a brand new 5.9. bolt it on and go. As soon as you start modifying your engine, you are on your own. So, if Vortech did make a kit for your car, chances are, it wouldn't fit your car, because it's not the way that it left the factory.

It also avoids alot of problems for the supercharger companies. You have to put together what you want, so they are not responsible when a kit is assembled, and it doesn't work. eg. Should vortech supply the nitrophil floats for your Holley, or the TQ. Fuel pumps.. are you running a carter, or holley on the side of your block, or even still, should they supply you with an inline pump, and boots referenced requlator. (how many different style of pumps should Vortech make???). Intake.. do you have the TQ, or the holley. 2bbl, 4bbl, 2x 4bbl, or 6bbl.. You need an enclosure to fit the TQ 4bbl, on a Wieand high rise intake, on a 73 challenger, with the power bulge hood. (with out getting into angles and ducting.) You can already see the challenger kit is definately not going to fit the same as a 65 Barracuda running a demon on an edelbrock rpm.

These are your problems, not Vortechs, or paxtons. It's not a hard problem to over come. It's not a hard system to do. But, if you see it as to much trouble to put together a kit for your own car.. installing it would probably be too much trouble too....
Old 08-24-2003, 11:27 PM

On the other side of your points, you have procharger companies that are making direct bolt on Pro-chargers for the early MOPARs. Many of us have modified our MOPARs, but it is rare that we change the belt/pulley configurations.
Old 08-25-2003, 07:18 AM
Inactive User

a full kit is much more then just a supercharger and a bracket.
Old 08-25-2003, 08:20 AM
Inactive User

If you are really interested give Scot dickson a call, www.sdce.com. He has been doing centrifical set ups on older mopars for years. I bought a procharger kit form them and I have to admit that his brackets work well!!! Have not lost a belt yet.. He has spent a lot of time on them and the kit. You could do it yourself and save some dollars but would take about 10 times long to get it right. Procharger clams with a intercooled set up on a p1sc base moddel that you can get 90-100% gains.. On my 340 with 9.2-1 compression and full ported heads I am only seeing about 5 lbs [the intercooler looses about 1lbs] good for 130 hp. Dont sound like much but all it takes is to drop bully sizes and go up on the jetting for more boost. SDCE has alot of back ground and kits that will fit just about any older mopar..after engine mods fuel system and ignition you looking at $4000+ DWME5 has a good point if you dont have the cash you can incoperate a factor set up for a lot less. Checkout blowthrutubro@yahoogroups.com
Old 08-25-2003, 12:45 PM
Inactive User

I think if you talk directly to vortec they will help you, Like everywhere else you get pages and pages of Cheby stuff and 1 mopar item ( I still can't figure out how we can ever win a race with the choices we have compared to what they have.) But they list what's popular(what's selling the most)

If you call them they have the kit your looking for they just don't list it on there site.
Old 08-25-2003, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bigiron
I still can't figure out how we can ever win a race with the choices we have compared to what they have.
You have to remember, brand X cars need this stuff if they even want to compete against a stock MOPAR... LOL
Old 08-25-2003, 01:37 PM
Inactive User

This is true.... but it still sucks when your up late at night and have to call just to find out if this set of pistons are available or that cam is stocked when compared to all the stuff Chebys have...
Old 08-25-2003, 03:01 PM
Inactive User

lol... i agree. However it allows us to talk smack to the chebby guys when they brag about all the intakes, cams, cranks... that are available for them. I usually go "well if the factory stuff was any good, why would you need all those?"
Old 08-25-2003, 05:06 PM
Inactive User

yea.. it takes a little more than just cash to find mopar stuff. A freind off mine ordered a bunch of goodys for his bowtie and did not have one part on back order. I told him that with suchlow quality they have to build three times as many parts to get one right....lol