Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-26-2003, 10:55 AM
Inactive User

Default TTI Headers

Anyone have anything good or bad to say about TTI headers
Old 08-26-2003, 11:12 AM
Inactive User

Good - they're pretty.
- they fit nicely
- you can buy a complete exhaust system to bolt up to them

Bad - the big block ones sure as heck aren't even close to equal length
- the small block ones are "stepped" which actually slows the velocity down on almost every application, limiting the scavenging ability of the header.
- for most cars the primary tubes are too big to be effective in scavenging exhaust gas.
-flanges are thick but they have the stupid mig bead around the ports that actually promotes flange warping and leakage.
Old 08-26-2003, 11:23 AM
Inactive User

Bad - they beat the shit outta yer wallet!
Old 08-26-2003, 08:15 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

The step on the headers is a catch 22. It's to much for mild builds. Good for a serious street machine. Bad for max performance.
I know the description was broad, but so is it's application and use. Thats why there stepped.
For the small block, the do make a straight tube header for the W-2 series. Nothing I remember for the big block. What car is this for and it's performance level.
Old 08-27-2003, 02:28 AM
Inactive User

I am thinking of 2.25 primarys for my blowen 426 HEMI in a 74 Challenger. Mostly street use but we will do a few time trials at least.

3.5 collectors 3" the rest of the way to the back. 3" in and out muffelers.
Old 08-27-2003, 04:35 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

I'm puting TTI Ceramic Headers in my 70' Challenger R/T 440ci. 1-7/8" Primaries to 3" Collectors and 2-1/2" pipes for the rest of the system
Old 08-27-2003, 06:59 AM
Inactive User

rolleyes T T I's

I was very disappointed with the Junk that TTI made for my 65 Coronet big block. They're way overpriced, you can't replace even a mini starter without removing the header and I had to beat the shit out of #7 tube to change the sparkplug with 906 heads. Also I have to remove one header to remove the transmission! Actually the less than $200 Hedman street headers fit just as well and performed the same!
Old 08-27-2003, 07:57 AM
Inactive User

My experience with a big block and small block application has been positive. I believe it is a great product. There will be problems with particular applications because this is car crafting, not mass production. Car crafting requires us to engage our brains.

They stand behind their product and don't try and screw you when you have problems. Ask me about my transmission return nightmare that still continues 2 years later when you bitch about poor engineered products and NO customer service......
Old 08-27-2003, 08:27 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by bigiron
I am thinking of 2.25 primarys for my blowen 426 HEMI in a 74 Challenger. Mostly street use but we will do a few time trials at least.

3.5 collectors 3" the rest of the way to the back. 3" in and out muffelers.
A blown engine is a whole different ballgame. Due to the forced induction, a scavenge isn't a important to performance as it is with naturally aspirated. In a typical application, a blower will increase horsepower and torque by 40% or more, and primary diameter is chosen by horsepower output. With a blower you can and probably should, go one size bigger than a horsepower/tube diameter chart would indicate. Say your hemi makes 500 hp naturally aspirated, thats 700 hp. The diameter required for 700 hp is 2 1/8" diameter, so your 2.25" primaries are a little on the big side, but since it's blown, it will work okay. The blower will make up for any loss in low end torque from the oversize tubes. Those TTI Hemi headers are way off in length as well, but again, with the blower, I don't think it will make near as much trouble as it would with a naturally aspirated motor.
Old 08-27-2003, 01:08 PM
Inactive User

Thanks for the feedback. I'm a Hooker kind of guy myself but they won't fit with what I have. I am useing Schumocker (SP???) motor mounts and they were designed around TTIs. My Hookers, even with bending the heck out of #1 will not fit so I guess their out.

And being blowen, that is the reason for the large primaries.

Overall they may not be the best choice for performance but I think that I'm kind of stuck for fitment. At least without going for a custom set, and even with custom, I've had a couple in the past I've been unhappy with. so I guess it's by guess and by gosh and hope for the best.

Thanks
Old 08-27-2003, 04:59 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs down TTI

Tomasso B Cuda ;I'm glad you had good luck with your headers but the first post ask for good or bad experiences with TTI and you are lucky yours worked well but mine sucked! As far as customer service, I e-mailed them and they replied with a statement like production type equipment or sorry for your luck we'll try to do better