Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-01-2003, 03:54 PM
Inactive User

Default Non-AC conversion problems

Alright. Ive been putting a 74 318 with AC into my Dakota. One of the things im doing is removing the AC. I went to the junkyard and got all the non-AC bracketry from a 70s something van. I got the pivot bolt, the spacer that goes in between the alt ears, and the one between the alt and block. I got the triangle front mount, and the adjuster arm. ive bolted all the pieces onto the engine, but something's not right. With everything kinda loose, its seeming to want to fit with the triangle bracket like 1/2" from the water pump bosses, and with the adjuster arm behind the triangle bracket. I musta not looked good at it when i took it apart off the van, but i thought the arm went in front of the triangle.

Are the water pump bosses farther out on the non ac engines? or is it a year/model complication im having? I dont want to just fill the gaps with washers..

and another thing, does the alt belt go onto the water pump pulley too? The van had a double pulley on the water pump. It looks like the belt lines up best on the farthest back groove on the crank, and then a double on the pump.

here's a pic.. you may have to highlight, cut & paste it to make it work: http://340dak.tripod.com/P1010214.jpg
Old 09-01-2003, 10:56 PM
Inactive User

This is funny, I am trying to put the A/C back on to my small block and I needed pictures of one that was already installed. Now you need pictures the opposite way. I can get a digital camera and take some pics of my non A/C set up on my 340 and send them to you if you want. Just give me your e-mail address and I could maybe do it after work tomorrow night.
Old 09-02-2003, 01:21 AM
Inactive User

jadedfonz@yahoo.com

Thank ya! Wanna trade brackets? LOL

Im gonna go to the junkyard tomorrow probably and examine the water pump i got the brackets off of, and get the double pump pulley. I'll still gladly take your pictures.
Old 09-02-2003, 06:07 PM
Inactive User

O.K., will do, expect it later tonight at your e-mail address.