Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-04-2003, 02:41 PM

Default My 440 sounds like a boat !

Hi

I own a 1975 440 (low comp). I have just removed the standard intake manifold a fitted an Edelbrock 2191 performer aluminium intake. I also got my 9024 Thermo-Quad rebuilt and fitted the carb' using a divided style carb’ base gasket.

As per the Edelbrock 2002 catalogue I used a Felpro 1215 intake gasket that blocks the cross over. Having paid for international shipping for the gasket and manifold I found out that Edelbrock had changed their minds about which intake gasket to use! They now say use the standard open style gasket. Following an email to find out why they have changed their minds, they say - If you don’t need EGR (I don’t - I live in England) 1215 is fine but some owners became confused about the composite gaskets that are packaged with 1215 and didn’t know if they should use them or not. To simplify matters they now say, get the standard intake gasket that does not have the composite items in the package. “The standard gasket is fine for this low power item”!

My problem - The exhaust note - Fluffety, Fluffety, Fluffety - Sounds like a boat! The pickup from idle is lazy but when the revs are up power is good. Should the changed manifold timing (Edelbrock add') make the exhaust note sound so different? Should I blame the carb’ guy or look else where?

Any one tried this manifold and how did you get on? I am thinking of going back to the cast iron lump!

HELP
Old 09-04-2003, 02:50 PM
Inactive User

If it ran fine with iron monster, I would say you have a vacuum leak, making the fluffety(?!!) idle and lack of low end torque. Check for vacuum leaks, open hoses, etc.