Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Street Warrior Forum - great street race stories.....

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-04-2003, 04:52 PM
Inactive User

Default chevy tow truck

I hate to say this, but I drove a 78 chevy long box tow truck, dual wheels, in the stock fenders, shortened rear end, 4.56 gears, 454 4 bolt main, 4 speed, bull low, open headers, lightened as much as possible, aluminum floor pans, fiberglass tilt front clip, as much weith as possible taken out of the back, etc..
this beast had LOTS of power, it lifts the front wheels in bull low.
I was in town with it (taking it to get painted) and some kid in a civic pulls up next to me and revs his motor, so I rev back and the light turns green, I mash the gas in bull low, lift the wheels , shift second, then third and I'm a head of him and pulling, shift 4th and still pulling away, then there's another light and the guy stops beside me again, looking like he saw a ghost, man that was fun, of course, like I said before, I hate that it's a chebbie, I'm probably gonna get burn for posting this here, but damn, a wheelstandin tow truck is very very cool, don't you think?
Old 09-04-2003, 05:16 PM
Inactive User

Laugh I run one too...

Here we have a junkyard truck for pulling engines out of cars. It's a '67 Ford 1/2 ton with a fabbed flatbed and small boom. It runs 4.88 and four on the floor with granny low. It was comical when we took the Dodge V-10 out of a wreck, the truck was light on the front wheels. Left the tranny on the motor. That thing was bouncing on the front wheels! Whoever built it put the center of gravity too far out back. The 351 is no powerhouse, but the one time I did drag it, the hook came off of it's spot and struck the windshield, nearly shattering in my lap. The cool part is that the truck jerked the front wheels in the air, like 2 or three feet, and I powershifted (or as close as you can get in a Ford) and held them there for about a second. I can't wait to get into my friend's junkyard Dodge 4x4 set up the same, but with a bad 440...
Old 09-04-2003, 05:50 PM
Inactive User

Ooooh, sounds like fun, my buddy had a good plow truck, a 76 Ford, 460, no box, just frame, tires were about 1.5 foot wide with 2 inch studs, that truck could plow through anything, snow, snow banks, piles of cars, trails, trees, in reverse up big a$$ hills, whatever, it was unstopable, he sold it, still haven't figured out why he sold it, he's kickin himself now, the guy he sold it to still uses it around the yard and my buddy has roasted two other plow trucks since that one