Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-05-2003, 09:26 AM
Inactive User

Default Trans Question

The Shift kit I put in my trans. came with a 5.0 kickdown lever. I don't know if that has something to do with this but, the kickdown lever is sloppy for the first half inch of movement. The guy at the trans shop and the B&M booklet said to push the lever fully forward like normal. When I do that, the linkage falls back about half an inch. I put a spring on it to hold it forward, but I don't think this is right. Any suggestions?
Old 09-05-2003, 12:45 PM
Inactive User

Did I stump you guys?? If you need more info. let me know.
Old 09-05-2003, 04:38 PM

The 5.0 kickdown lever is an internal part that applies the kickdown band.
It sounds like you are talking about the external linkage that hooks to the carb. The linkage (correct term is throttle pressure linkage) is supposed to have a spring to pull it forward. Check out the link below for pics of the stock linkage.

http://216.12.219.21/ub/ubb/Forum13/HTML/000013.html
Old 09-05-2003, 04:39 PM
Inactive User

The 2nd gear band apply lever 5.0, 4.2, 3.8, or what ever it is will not cause the throttle kickdown lever to become out of adjustment.

Billy
Old 09-05-2003, 05:39 PM
Inactive User

Good idea to get that linkage set correctly or you will be yanking it apart and will have the opportunity to install the 5.0:1 lever. Seriously, the throttle pressure linkage needs to be adjusted correctly or you will lose the trans. pretty quickly.
Make sure they got the valve body assembled correctly because the lever has to push the throttle pressure valve inside the valve body. Can you manually pull or push the top lever on the linkage coming out of the transmission and feel resistance?.
Tom Hand
Old 09-05-2003, 07:46 PM
Inactive User

There is no pressure for about the first half an inch of travel on the throtle pressure lever. I looked at the linkage diagrams from Mr. Kunkel, but my stuff doesn't look like that. There is no place for a spring to attach and there is a way to adjust the position of the rod on the lever. I talked to someone at Summit's tech department how said he had been driving Mopars since '69 and he didn't even know what I meadnt by the throttle pressure lever or kickdown lever. He also said I could put a bolt in the back of the slot up top to make the trans down shift faster. Is that true? By the way, the trans already has the 5.0 lever installed. It came with the shift kit. The trans shifts great from first to second. It holds first to 5000 rpm at 60 mph, but second gear feels dead and the shift to third feels loose. I need some advice please!!!
Old 09-06-2003, 02:13 PM
Inactive User

If the internal adjustment for the trottle pressure lever is not corect, could that make the external lever sloppy!!??? I really don't want to lose my tranny over a bad adjustment. Can someone PLEASE HELP!!

Thanks!
Old 09-06-2003, 04:06 PM
Inactive User

Walter, an easy way to think about it is this: as soon as your throttle lever moves on the carburetor, it best be pushing on the throttle pressure linkage which should be pushing the lever on the transmission's valve body. Any slop (more than a slight amount) and the tranmission thinks the engine is idling when in fact, it is pulling a load. They need to move almost simaltaneously to be correctly adjusted. Any shop manual will show how it should be.
If you have a spring, install it so it holds the linkage tight to the throttle pin and make sure all the slop is out of the rod by lengthening it using the adjustment down below or the two adjustments above.
Tom Hand
Old 09-06-2003, 07:53 PM
Inactive User

Forget the link between carb and trans for now. Should there be slop in the movement of the throttle pressure lever at all? When I disconnect the rod from the lever, the lever moves with no pressure for about the first half an inch. After the first half inch, there is pressure. If thats a problem, I need to know.
Old 09-06-2003, 08:29 PM
Inactive User

What is so special about a 5.0 kickdown lever. What difference is it supposed to make? Is there any way to know if its really in there without opening the trans. ? I checked Dads trans. and it is the same as mine. Mine came from a Newport '71 and his came from a 'Cuda. I don't know how his shifts because he hasn't installed his yet. I need some more specific answers about the throttle lever please. I don't mean to sound demanding or anything, so please don't go postal on me or anything. I just need help before something bad happens.
Old 09-06-2003, 09:40 PM
Inactive User

Walter, I think I see what you are saying. The lever on the trans will have some movement when the engine is off. With it on, the valve moves out I beleive and will eliminate some of the slop.
Seriously, get a shop manual and set it up correctly. When the carb. pin and lever move, the throttle pressure linkage has to move. Simple as that. Pull the rod forward, take all the play out of it till it moves with the throttle and then you can go from there.
Yes, with most shift kits, it will tear the trans. up without the throttle pressure rod set correctly. It is not just for kickdown. It has to move with throttle movement to signal the transmssion how much pressure it needs to shift properly and at the proper time.
The 5.0 is the ratio of the kickdown band apply lever. The HEMIs and 440 six barrels had a five clutch retainer and needed the wider band to stop the clutch retainer for the second gear shift. they used bigger bands and that lever and the 5.0 lever moved less distance but had more force due to the greater ratio. Most HI PO TFs had 3.8s and some had 4.2s. Don't worry about that now, you need to fix (or make sure it is close) the throttle pressure linkage. Look at a shop manual and it'll show what you need to do.
No going postal here!
Tom
Old 09-06-2003, 10:24 PM

Walter, It is normal to have play for the first half inch or so on the throttle pressure lever . It allows the trans to slip slightly during very light throtle . I was stumped with this question years ago until I read the factory service manuals. You will only feel some resistance toward the end of the travel.. As far as using a bolt up top on the throttle rod, Dont do it . It will bottom out the throttle pressure valve in the trans before you reach full throttle.
Old 09-07-2003, 11:34 AM
Inactive User

Thanks for your help!!