Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-05-2003, 03:45 PM
Inactive User

Default engine tuning

which should be done first ,carb tuning or timing?should the total timing be set first then tune the carb.doesnt one effect the other .my motor runs but needs to be tuned badly.i posted before but the answers i got were basic.i know the firing order is right ,its all new ,tested ,dynoed and timing specs set from the builder.unfortunately when i got the motor the distibutor was out for shipping and i have since changed carbs ,holley 850 dp to out of the box demon 850vs.i know all the timing settings but not sure if i should set the total timing first then set carb adjustments.total timing is 30 at 2700rpm.do i just rev it up to 2700rpm and turn it to 30 degrees and lock it down for good or do i neeed to keep resetting it as i tune the carb.it is a mechanical dist with no advance.the initial was set to 12 dgrees to get it running ,as per spec but i stopped there.the carb seems rich indicated by the fumes it puts out and i have set mixture screws at 1 1/2 turns out .thanks
Old 09-05-2003, 04:03 PM
Inactive User

First of all, what engine is this, cam intake compression, all that stuff.

Timing is set first. Most mopes like 34 degrees total all in before 3000, and the intial timing depends on cam, intake etc. Set her for total timing and see where the initial is and go from there.

Cuda66273 has done a great thread about tuning. Just search on "Demon Tuning" in performance talk or on his website http://www.4secondsflat.com