Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-07-2003, 02:01 PM
Inactive User

Default Using AV gas

In lieu of spending a fortune on C-12 or other racing fuels with high octane, I have been using 100 LL Aviation fuel in my Dart. It seems to work very well and I don't have to retard my timing on NOS and there is no more detonation when running it normally. The highest octane I can get here is 91, so I was looking for an alternative fuel. AV gas is .90/litre and C-12 is $12.00/gal. Quite a savings I would say! The LL stands for low lead, so as opposed to "unleaded" fuel at the pumps, I will be getting some lead which should help.......right? The car seems to burn cleaner now and run somewhat better. What's your opinions on this?
Old 09-07-2003, 03:33 PM
Inactive User

sounds like something i might wanna run at least in my NOS fuel cell...

how many liters to a gallon again? i can't remember. gas prices around here are usually like $1.70+ per gallon for 93 octane, THEN, i get my outlaw octane boost, which is about $2 per can. (one can per fill up)
Old 09-07-2003, 04:32 PM

Outlaw Octane boost... LOL man just give me the 2 bucks as that stuff isn't doing a thing for you. The primary ingredient is Xylene, so just go to the hardware store and buy yourself a large can of xylene and start adding that to the fillup. It is a lot loss expensive that way (probably about 25 - 50 cents for the same amount of xylene).

AV gas is an old standby that works. Just be warned, in the US it is illeagle for you to run AV gas in your car.
Old 09-07-2003, 04:59 PM
Inactive User

4.54 litres to a gallon. Don't bother with the octane boosters, they don't do the job.
Old 09-07-2003, 05:13 PM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

i've been using aviation gas off and on for 25 yrs. and i have never had a problem with it. the highest compression engine i had was 11.5.
i'm not sure if it will work on 12.0 and up.
Old 09-07-2003, 08:03 PM

Av gas kicks butt! There was a Q&A section in Summit racing a few years back that addressed some of what you're finding. The aritcle stated that the FAA is very strict on how the Octane is rated. You'll get a consistent 100 octane (or what ever it's rated) every time you buy Av gas. Race gas on the other hand doens't have as strict of regulations. Therefore, (according to the article because I know I'm going to get flamed on this one) you could purchase 110 octane, but come home with 98. There are turbo care here in AZ running deep into the 9's on AV gas!!! Yes, it is illegal to run on the street, but most of the small/private airports will sell it to you if you bring gas cans. I love the stuff. Runs and smells great!

Later,

Greg
Old 09-07-2003, 10:57 PM
Inactive User

I found a gas station right around the corner that sells 100 right from the pump. there is a sign on the pump that says "dispense into approved containers only" but they let you put it right into the car. costs $3.59 a gallon. I wonder is this is AV gas?

works great, I usually mix it with super (@50/50) I was having some pinging (10:1,ironheads) and this totally eliminated it without having to retard timing.

that octane boost is a scam. pretty interesting that they call it boost: the only thing it boosts is your money from your wallet.
Old 09-07-2003, 11:06 PM
Inactive User

Just a FYI post. Unleaded is just a term, not a fact. While I was still a working man with the KDOT (Equipment Supt) I found that our pickups contained over 5 PPM lead in the drained crankcase oil after 4000 mi running "unleaded" fuel. Low lead would be a more accurate term. The Av Gas legality problem is tax, like running farm diesel in a pickup. Av Gas is very dry and very light (so it won't cause problems when it gets cold at higher altitude) but will turn to vapor (boil) easier than pump gas. Seen several articles that recommended mixing with drum gas.
Old 09-07-2003, 11:08 PM
Inactive User

Let me go back a few years to when I was going to A&P school and tried to learned a few things. 100 LL if rated the same way as automobile gas would have an octane rating of about 115. And even though it is called low lead, it has more lead than you can imagin. It has a lot of anti-gelling additives in it. Sraight it burns real slow so it has good flame propigation in the slower turning engine. Remember, most recip aircraft engines turn 2500-2800 rpm max. I used a 20% mix of 100 LL and regular unleaded in a 10.5:1 340 with very good results. Maybe I will look in my old notes and get some more info on 100 LL. I am now thinking that the automobile rating would be higher than 115.
Old 09-07-2003, 11:35 PM
Inactive User

Ah, this is sounding very good to me. The price is right and the car runs great. Its a 50/50 mixture of AV gas and 91 unleaded that I was running. I may have even had a little more than 50% AV gas but it sure has made a difference. I have never had better throttle response and now I don't have to retard the timing which always robs power. The local airport lets me fill up my 5 gal container and away I go. Heck at .90/litre, why wouldn't I use it, premium pump gas is somewhere between .79 - .85 /litre, depending where you get it.
Old 09-08-2003, 12:27 AM

I've always run the stuff straight... My engines have ranged from about 10:1 to 13.5:1 and still no pinging! Some of you might have seen on the news that Arizona was in a recent gas crunch. It was tough to find a station with gas, then it was up to $4.00/gal for the cheap stuff. I was tempted to start driving my charger to work every day because it would run off of the AV gas!

Later,

Greg
Old 09-08-2003, 11:02 AM
Inactive User

Well I have never really heard anyone racing it with impressive results. Yeah it might work but dont you think it if was the "answer" EVERYONE would be running it.

I'll just stick with methanol. 85 bucks for 55 gallon drum!
Old 09-08-2003, 12:12 PM
Inactive User

Kevin, you do have a valid point, maybe it has to do with some type of regulations with aviation and automobiles. What the heck, I'm still gonna stick with it for my application.
Old 09-08-2003, 04:07 PM
Inactive User

hello, we ran aviation gas years ago. it worked very well. av gas does not evaporate near as fast as pump gas. I tested it. put equal amounts in a glass jar, set them out , no lids, measure level after a week. av gas stays in liquid form longer. airplane engines don't like gas vapors very well. methanol usually requires almost twice the volume to produce the same amount of BTU as gas does. good luck,
Old 09-08-2003, 04:39 PM

http://www.moparchat.com/forums/show...ighlight=avgas
Old 09-09-2003, 12:05 AM
Inactive User

Default fuel additive

just wondering if anyone has tried or seen this stuff in in a 1 gal can , I think it's called turbo fuel or turbo boost or something like that . They claim like 20- to 30 hp. I'm guessing it's some kind of nitromethane or oxygenated fuel?
Old 09-09-2003, 09:28 AM
Inactive User

I have been using av gas for yrs as well. Works great, cost's half of what racing gas costs. Try 25% Av gas to 75% premium unleaded to start and take it from there. Even my old tractor likes a little of it!!!
Old 09-15-2003, 01:34 PM
Inactive User

Default bought some

well after Mr Mopar said he buys it for only $.91.. I thought why buy premium @ $.899..

So I grabbed some cans and stopped at the airport.. only 84 cents per liter...HAHA.. bought 20 gallons and I'll buy more next time through..

BTW.. this was @ Drayton Valley airport..

Blygy
Old 09-15-2003, 06:14 PM
Inactive User

Well I'll be damned, thats the only way to go. AV gas is less than pump premium. Go figure!
Old 09-16-2003, 12:19 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Mopar
Well I'll be damned, thats the only way to go. AV gas is less than pump premium. Go figure!
Nothing to it no road tax on AV gas Just be sure the AV gas is compatable with all your fuel system, including the old build-up that's grown for ???? years and keep in mind AV gas is designed to operate at a litter higher alt than ground level
Old 09-19-2003, 07:59 PM
Inactive User

I've used AV gas mixed 50/50 with unleaded 94 this summer with excellant results. Even on hot days I can crank the timing for power and not get "ping". I only use this for street driving as it dosen't make as much power as race gas does. At the strip I use race fuel for max power. Oh ya, and I tried every Octane booster known to mankind and none of it ever cut down on the pinging problem. Av gas for me!.....................djs
Old 09-20-2003, 07:47 AM
Inactive User

.84 per liter is $3.50 a gallon...why is that cheaper than pump gas?????????????????/

If you really want a boost, get some nitro mix made for r/c vehicles!
Old 09-20-2003, 08:20 AM
Inactive User

cause here premium is $0.90/ liter.. figure that one out..

0.90*3.9=3.51/US Gallon

0.84*3.9=3.276/US Gallon

Blygy
Old 09-20-2003, 05:30 PM
Inactive User

ok, so that's DAMN! STILL $2.29 or more after the exchange rate...

I've never paid more than $2.15 for 94 Sunoco, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time.