Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-31-1999, 06:12 AM
Inactive User

Question

When mated with a small block V-8, how do these transmissions differ from one another in durability, driveability, economy, and efficient power transfer? Are they significantly different from an external dimension standpoint?

Thanks!!
Old 12-31-1999, 03:02 PM
Inactive User

The A-500 is a 904 and the A-518 is a 727,with a overdrive unit attached is the simpilist way I can describe it.
Old 12-31-1999, 06:13 PM
Inactive User

Cool

I installed the A-518 non-lock up MP trans in a 68 Dart. The trans cross member needs extensive reworking to fit around the O/D unit. The floor pan needs no mods, but the cross member ends up above the floor level (can you say, "No factory floor shift & *CUSTOM* carpet?"). Not a job for an inexperienced fabricator! Unless you can do the fab work yourself, you are probably looking at dropping about $1000 (or more!) at the fab shop just to *FIT* the trans. Then you need to modify drive shaft, change cooler lines, & more in certain circumstances. There are also O/D unit oiling issues to deal with in the older transmissions.

The A-500 was only offered with a lock-up converter, the 518 is offered in lock-up & & non lock-up.
www.c-com.net/~atc347/dbdartman/
This will show pics on my car & specs. Sorry, no trans installation pics are there. The headers are Tri-Y's, made by me from a kit by Stan's Headers (do a search, it *WILL* come up), tubes are: 1.5" primary, 2.0" secondary into 2.5" collecter.

Hope this helps some...
<font color = 990033>DB</font>

[This message has been edited by dbdartman (edited December 31, 1999).]
Old 01-01-2000, 05:53 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin

Thanks for the input! It looks like the Dart will turn out really nice.

I want to put this O/D transmission (mounted to a 360) into a '57 Plymouth. There's probably more room under the hood than in the Dart. I think I'll still need to alter the firewall though.

I want this car to be a daily driver, so economy and driveability are very important. Because of this, I'm leaning towards a regular "lockup" transmission. In the Mopar catalog, the A-518 is presented as a non-lockup design. Can I get it in a lockup configuration? This is my first "resto-rod". I have no real feel for the merits of the old 727 versus the 904. I do know of the 727's legendary toughness, having used and abused a junked out '63 300 during my college years.

I'm working on linkage designs to maintain the pushbuttons. That oughta be interesting.

On a completely unrelated note, does anybody know if the new Dodge Truck V-8's possess the old style mounting ears? or do they only have the new center mount bosses?

THANKS!
Old 01-01-2000, 06:10 PM
Inactive User

Justin, I'm sure you have more room than I do, but the trans mount will need re-working in any event, the O/D unit is right where the stock mount is! Don't know if you *REALLY* need to re-work the fire wall, not familiar with the 50's cars myself. The lock-up A-518 will be found in later trucks. The input shaft is different. That's the most I can tell ya now!

Good luck adapting the push button shifter! That should be interesting, to say the least. You might even be able to market your adapter....

Lots 'o luck!
<font color = 990033>DB</font>

------------------
You're only young once, but you can be immature forever!