Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-10-2003, 01:04 AM
Inactive User

Default 340 Marine Engine?

Is there such a thing? Are they any good for an automotive application? I have a chance to buy two at a reasonable price, but I don't know much about them. Thanks!
Old 09-10-2003, 09:40 AM
Inactive User

Yeah, they made them. I have a carb off, one AFB 6212. They didn't use an AVS.
Chrysler Marine had a larger selection of boat motors than autos. From a 4 cyl, to the old flat head 6, to a Slant 6, and V8s up to and including a 440 with 2 4 barrels, a 440 Six Pack and a 525 horsepower 426 Race Hemi.

Cecil
Old 09-10-2003, 09:50 AM
Inactive User

Yes, there were. Waaaay back in the 70's before Force motors bought them out, and then Mercury/Mercruiser bought Force out. Anyways, they sucked as marine engines. This is coming from my entire service department. They might be good street motors though. If you can find any serial numbers on them, let me know, and I'll run them through the system and try to dig up any history.

Dan
Old 09-10-2003, 10:28 PM
Inactive User

Thanks for the replies guys! I am supposed to look at these engines sometime next week. I'll get the serial #'s off them if I can and post them. I recieved more info on them last night. They are 1970 engines, that means forged cranks, and are coming out of a boat getting a diesel conversion done on it. Clay.
Old 09-10-2003, 11:57 PM
Inactive User

A service guy from a Chrysler dealer once told me about someone using one of the marine 340 cranks on a car and had a lot of trouble with the rear main leaking badly. Seem that the grooves cut in the crank designed to control leakage are cut backwards in the marine cranks to allow the motor to run counterclockwise instead of clockwise as an automotive application would. Dont know if this is true or if he was pulling my leg, I'm not really interested in marine motors but maybe if true you could weld up the crank in that area and have it machined. Sounds reasonable. Seems like with a custom ground cam, they could run backwards pretty easily. Just think, one real low forward gear, and four reverse gears with a A-833, but that prolly wouldnt work unless the gears were all straight cut? Just daydreamin.
Old 09-11-2003, 08:58 PM

Red face

That problem w/ the main seal is only on the engine set up for reverse rotation. If you had a twin (2 engine ) set up one engine is standard rotation and the other is reverse. so only the reverse rotation engine would have that problem( if converted to standard rotation)
Old 09-11-2003, 09:11 PM
Inactive User

Yes, the guy I am talking to about these engines said one is reverse rotaion and one is standard, and they are both coming out of the same boat. I should get a chance to check them out next week. Thanks for all the info guys! Anything special I should look for when I inspect these engines?

Thanks, Clay.
Old 09-12-2003, 01:36 PM
Inactive User

Just FYI, they put a counter-rotating engine in so that torque steer via the propellors is cancelled out. Other than that, it's the same engine. The water pump, and any other rotating devices in the engine are countered as well.

Things to look out for:

Corrosion! If this boat has twins, then it's probably too big for rivers.

Our resident Chrysler I/O genius passed away, so we're at a loss for info on them. Any other help I can provide, let me know.

Dan
Old 09-13-2003, 05:33 AM
Inactive User

ask if the engines were fresh water or raw water cooled, if they say fresh water the blocks should be fine. If its raw water, see if they'll let you pull off the water pump and have a look, raw water cooled marine engines can suffer very sever corrosion through the block and head coolant passages.

Another small difference is the ring gap on marine engines is (usually) slightly larger (or it could be smaller, sorry ive forgotten) to allow for the much lower operating temperature exerienced. This is on raw water cooled engines only.