Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-15-2003, 01:18 AM

rolleyes2 New Intake in The Block

In the pdf cataloge of 'Professional Products' look an Edelbrock RPM Air-Gap clone (or copy?) for SB Mopar.
The same fit in LA or Magnum blocks (has dual pattern bolts).
Somebody knows the quality these products?
It's another Chinese garbage?
In ebay sell them at $142 (aprox)
Old 09-15-2003, 04:29 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

No American products out there fit both Magnum and LA engines. They mount in 2 diferent ways.
Only Edelbrock makes the Air gap intake and only for the LA series engine, not for the Magnum engine.
It's a cheap rip off copy from elssewhere.
Old 09-15-2003, 10:48 AM
Banned

They come with Fortune Cookie for two.
Old 09-15-2003, 05:35 PM
Inactive User

Take about a CHEAP manifold! yikes!

I know they are called Professional Products....but professional they are not. They used to be a distributor who sold products like Edelbrock and Holley, etc....and they didn't like the profit margin, so they copied peoples products and have them made in China!

I saw their display at the last SEMA show. What a pile of junk they are! All the manifolds on display were dirty, ports looked like crap, and the carb pad holes didn't even have a thread in them! Looked like a spiral scratch down a hole!

Just cheap imitations....for example, on our 5 liter mustang manifolds, they copied down to two of the mounting bosses that are obsolete and not used any longer!

We bought a Acura Integra manifold they make to test on a motor, since they claim 20 horsepower increase from it, we haven't tested it yet, but we think its a load of BS.

You get what you pay for!

Actually, for a Chinese manifold, if you had some good engineers managing the product line, you could probably make a good manifold over there for less than what the American stuff sells for, but they aren't doing that.
Old 09-16-2003, 12:10 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

I see it this way, I purchase the real stuff first and get what it's all about. Call there tech line for question and get answers, not "AA duh duh aaaa , ummmmmm, well, it sounds good to me."
Stick with the OE hi-po makers for best results. Get what ya paid for.
I could copy an Edel. or other intake in my backyard! But that dosen't make me what they pretend to be.
Old 09-16-2003, 12:11 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by RogerH
Take about a CHEAP manifold! yikes!

Just cheap imitations....for example, on our 5 liter mustang manifolds, they copied down to two of the mounting bosses that are obsolete and not used any longer!
RogerH,
One feature I DO like about these manifolds is the dual bolt pattern for Mag/LA heads. There's plenty of meat on just about any manifold to do this (I know, I'm modifying an MP M1 Magnum EFI manifold right now), and I wish MP or Edelbrock would have had the forethought to do that a long time ago. Not bashing at all, just wishing out loud. Sure wold make swapping heads & intakes a LOT easier...

Clair
Old 09-16-2003, 12:13 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

OH yea, RogerH, we are waiting for a RPM Magnum intake.
Old 09-16-2003, 02:17 PM
Inactive User

Your wish is my command!

Just for you....Edelbrock will have aluminum Magnum heads and a Magnum carb manifold.....should be shown at SEMA this year...and production in early to mid '04.

See how I get right on that for you!
Old 09-16-2003, 10:48 PM

Hey all;

The intake bolt holes line up. The attaching angle is different. Tico a company in Michigan used a LA style manifold on Magnum headed small block. They used a steel tube cut at a angle with a flat washer to make the bolt match up to the magnum head. They ground the manfold to clearance for the bolts. Otherwise it's a bolt up deal. If the Single Plane M1 intake fails to make good HP. I will convert a RPM AirGap to fit if the Magnum AirGap is delayed.
Old 09-16-2003, 11:33 PM
Inactive User

That's what is making this "conversion" I'm doing relatively straight-forward. In general, the center of the new LA bolt holes fall right at the bottom tip-end of the vertical Magnum bolt holes. You'd have to measure your own manifolds to be sure it's the same animal, but between my Street Dominator and the Mag M1 EFI, that's how it works out. Again, I'm going to plug the dual-bolt-hole scenario for Edelbrock.... think of the savings in the tooling costs!

Clair
Old 09-17-2003, 01:22 PM
Inactive User

hehe....yeah, could be a savings in tooling....but its hard to do things like that and have them machine it two different ways! Its easier to have two different castings and a seperate machining for each. When you have as many manifolds as we do, and produce about 5000 intake manifolds a week....you might too.
Old 09-17-2003, 02:54 PM
Inactive User

Hehe... 3200 Brand X, 1700 Brand Y, and 100 Mopars...

I understand that the Vortec/Early chebbie heads are in the same shape, but I guess there's enough of them out there to justify the work. In the mean time, I'll keep plugging away with my drill press...

Clair
Old 09-18-2003, 02:33 PM
Inactive User

Oh, you'd be surprised how much Mopar parts we sell. I don't know on the intake manifolds....but I have seen a lot of 440 manifolds out there lately! Also, the big block cylinder head is the #2 selling cylinder head part number!
Old 09-18-2003, 06:35 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Why thank you Roger! I knew you were the man to get things rolling.
Old 09-18-2003, 06:42 PM
Inactive User

Well, when I've had my Barracuda convertible on the road for a little while, I'll be in the market for a pair of the B/RB heads, too. I'm going for all the weight savings I can for the 400 I'll be putting in her, but I've got a chunk of paint & body work to fund before I get the heads. She's been a garage queen for more years than I care to remember already... The E heads are really the only sensible choice for big blocks, IMHO. The big E gets all the support in the world from me... and it would be even more if there were dual bolt patterns on the intakes.... especially the EFI intakes...

Clair
Old 09-18-2003, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Clair
The E heads are really the only sensible choice for big blocks, IMHO.
I don't know about that... The Bulldog heads ar going to provide some pretty stiff competition. Right off the top, they have the 75cc combustion chambers that everyone wants, instead of the 84cc chambers that EB offers.
Old 09-18-2003, 07:39 PM
Inactive User

I bet an iron version of that head would make more power!

I have heard many requests for a Victor big block head.....but we haven't been given any go ahead with one. Thats the kind of head one would be!

And how fair would it be to compare that 75 cc combustion chamber to a stock head!