Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-20-2003, 02:27 PM
Inactive User

Default Shift Points-Not throttle linkage

I have a 904 that's shifting way too fast. During normal acceleration I'm in 3rd around 25mph. At WOT it will hold 2nd a little longer, but 1 to 2 is still real quick. I've got no 2-1 kickdown, and can only get 3-2 kickdown occasionally. I've got a cable set-up for the throttle linkage and at WOT the throttle lever on the tranny is in the rear most position. There's resistance on the lever, so it should be applying pressure. The tranny seems to shift fine, it's just way too soon.

My question is, what's the next step as far as trouble shooting. Is it a valve body problem? governor? I don't know much about transmissions so any input is greatly appeciated.

Thanks.
Old 09-20-2003, 03:40 PM
Banned

If the tranny lever is in the forward position at wot the nyou installed the kit wrong. The lever should be to the rear of the car at wot and that's why you dont have down shifts and you shift speed is incorrect.
Old 09-20-2003, 05:17 PM
Inactive User

OOPS! I edited my post to read "rear most position." Sorry I'm a little dyslexic today. What are your suggestions, assuming that the cable is set up correctly?
Old 09-20-2003, 05:28 PM
Banned

IF it's all the way to the rear then I would say it's too far. There is some room for adjustments. Start adjusting the arm forward a bit and see how the shifts change.
Old 09-20-2003, 06:33 PM
Inactive User

Adjust the the lever fully forward with the carb linkage fully closed. I tried to adjust like what your doing and it made it shift worse.
Old 09-21-2003, 12:02 AM
Inactive User

It sounds like your throttle pressure adjustment on the valve body is not right. With the trans pan off you can loosen the locknut and screw in the adjustment screw. The factory manual shows a special tool for setting the distance, bit I think about 1/8"? from the Adjustment screw to the throttle lever, when the throttle lever is just lightly pressing on the throttle valve.

This adjustment is like pre-setting the throttle linkage so the trans will increase pressure and the upshifts will be delayed when under light throttle.
Old 09-21-2003, 03:46 PM

If the trans lever is full back at WOT the linkage (cable) adjustment isn't the problem.
The light throttle 2-3 upshift at 25 mph would be considered normal.
At what road speed are you trying to force the 3-2 kickdown? There is limit at which speed it will kick down.
Stock transmissions are notorious for short shifting at WOT, a good reprogramming kit will raise the automatic upshift speeds quite a bit but past that you'll need to tweak the governor.
Old 09-22-2003, 01:52 AM
Inactive User

I played around with adjusting the cable some more. I was able to shorten it up about another 1/8 inch. The carb doesn't open completely (about 97%), but at least now I'm getting descent 3-2 kickdown, so it feels like there's more power. On hard acceleration it still has a really short 1st gear...1-2 shift is at about 15mph. With the throttle lever that maxed out, shouldn't it hold 1st alot longer? 2-3 shift point is at about 45mph on hard acceleration.

John, you mentioned a reprogramming kit. In which part of the trans does the kit go? Is it part of the valve body? I've been checking out the CHEETAH "Pro Street" Automatic Shift Valve Body. Would I benefit from something like that, and if so would I still need the reprogramming kit in addition?

Thanks!
Old 09-22-2003, 08:02 AM
Inactive User

im putting the auto/manual in tonight or tommorrow i can let you know how shifts.took out full manual as it was too harsh for the street (in my opinion ).didnt care for the b&m shift kit dont waste your money there.
Old 09-23-2003, 03:41 PM

The reprogramming kit makes modifications to the valve body and both band servos. Simple shift kits modify the valve body only and don't address the problems with the servos.
Several manufacturers make reprogramming kits, they're pretty much identical except for the TransGo; they're a step ahead for the moment.