Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-23-2003, 10:23 PM
Inactive User

Gripe Belts coming off????

Hi all, looking for some advice on why my belt(s) might be coming off.
I have a 440 in a 86 pickup, i used the alt.; a/c; and water pump pulley's off of my old 318, and i replaced original p/s pulley with the p/s pulley off of a 73 440(car?). I did so because the original would have been way out of wack.
I used bouchillons alt, a/c, and p/s brackets. every thing seems to looked lined up, i really don't know how to check for sure?, and i cleaned up and painted the pulleys, i.e. should be nothing keeping the belts from sitting in their grooves. The belts stay on below approx. 4000rpms but when i kick it down they blow off almost instantly. I have to addmit the alt. belts(2) are a tad loose but i wouldn't think this would cause them to jump off??? also i am pretty sure the p/s belt is the one coming off first, in one instance it was the only belt that came off where as most other times all three have come off. So like i say i can't really see with my own eyes that the p/s bracket is off line... is there some way of checking this?
I guess i should also add the p/s pulley i did clean but did not clean it 100% and there is a very small amount of junk inside the groove.
Any help with my little dilema would be much appreciated.
thanks
mike
Old 09-23-2003, 10:42 PM
Inactive User

Use a peice of string to line up the pullys using the out side lip to out side lip one set @ at time or use a peice of 1/4 " steele brake line that's straight to lay in the groove to check alinement.
mixing and matching pullys and be a night mare. Its best to get a set off one engine
Old 09-23-2003, 10:50 PM
Inactive User

Or a straight edge, (i.e. framing square, level, metal ruler).

I like the string idea...might be easier to manage in the confined space.
Old 09-23-2003, 10:59 PM
Inactive User

Also, once you're sure they're straight, get new belts.

The ones that have been thrown get nicks in them, and start to come off very easily after that.

On mine(69 dart 340 retro fit) the ps belt would come off, and pop off the other two.

Once I straighten'd the pully problems out, I threw the belts three more times, before I replaced them. That ended it.
Old 09-23-2003, 11:17 PM
Banned

Re: Belts coming off????

Quote:
Originally posted by mr tiggy
Hi all, looking for some advice on why my belt(s) might be coming off.
I have a 440 in a 86 pickup, i used the alt.; a/c; and water pump pulley's off of my old 318, and i replaced original p/s pulley with the p/s pulley off of a 73 440(car?). I did so because the original would have been way out of wack.
I used bouchillons alt, a/c, and p/s brackets. every thing seems to looked lined up, i really don't know how to check for sure?, and i cleaned up and painted the pulleys, i.e. should be nothing keeping the belts from sitting in their grooves. The belts stay on below approx. 4000rpms but when i kick it down they blow off almost instantly. I have to addmit the alt. belts(2) are a tad loose but i wouldn't think this would cause them to jump off??? also i am pretty sure the p/s belt is the one coming off first, in one instance it was the only belt that came off where as most other times all three have come off. So like i say i can't really see with my own eyes that the p/s bracket is off line... is there some way of checking this?
I guess i should also add the p/s pulley i did clean but did not clean it 100% and there is a very small amount of junk inside the groove.
Any help with my little dilema would be much appreciated.
thanks
mike
HEre's the causes for your problem. ONe the pulleys are not aligned straight. Next you painted the pulley's. Did you remove the paint from where the belts run? If not do it, now. Belts can slip, make noise, or get thrown off due to the paint. Seen it happen way too many times. Next, are you getting the right belts? They should not touch the bottom of the pulley and should have a small amount that rides above the pulley. You can get them in different widths that raise or lower them in the pulleys. Use solid belts too. Those cogged belts are not good to use and are verh cheap made. Another way to tell a cheap belt is to look at the side of it. If the white cord is close to the middle of the belt it is a higher wuality belt and if it is closer to the top edge it is cheap made.
Old 09-23-2003, 11:41 PM
Inactive User

Excellent, thanks guys. I will take all your advice and apply it tomorrow. Grab some better quality belts, use some string to get that dang pulley aligned and get rid of the miss placed paint.

Hopefully this will be the last post for this thread
later
mike
Old 09-24-2003, 08:24 AM
Inactive User

If your pulleys are lined up it might be the belts are streching out under load flipping them off...It happened to my 340, had to get a deep groove pulley for the alt...No problems after that.
Old 09-24-2003, 02:16 PM
Banned

If it continues check the end play on the thrust bearing.
Old 09-24-2003, 09:44 PM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

I with Cuda, this is also a sure sign of a cracked crank shaft or worn out thrust berring. But start simple... always.
73 Swinger
76 Ram 3/4 Ton
77 Ram Shortbed 1/2 Ton
74 Duster w/318
92 Sundance
89 LeBarron Convertable Turbo