Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-23-2003, 10:33 PM
Inactive User

Default Carb and intake questions

I have a 1969 rr with a 383 "B" low deck engine. It has been recently rebuilt and I am not sure if they did any boreing of the cylinders or not, let say it is .030 over for all practical purposes. Besides that the only mods are Headman headers and electronic Ignition and a open air cleaner. I run a stock 4 speed behind the engine. It currently has the iron 4bbl intake with a 625 cfm Carter (edelbrock look alike or visa versa) carb.

What is the best dual plane aluminum 4bbl intake to buy?

What cfm carb would work best?

What brand / type of carb would you buy / and or stay away from?

Will doing any of this give me more hp without doing anything else to the engine?
Old 09-23-2003, 10:41 PM
Inactive User

If you have a stock cam in it, you should stick with a Performer Intake or a Weiand Stealth(heard lots of good stuff about that).

You may want to go up to a 650-700 CFM. I personally like Carter carbs (especially the AVS) for the street. There are a lot of people hear who are better able to point you in the right direction as far as a carb is concerned though. Just don't try and go too big on the carb with a stock cam.

An intake swap from the iron one will give you a pretty decent increase. maybe 25-30 HP.
Old 09-23-2003, 10:52 PM
Inactive User

A new intake will do some good I like Weiand's Action+Plus. Depending on what all you have in the motor i.e. if it is more or less stock stay with a low rise duel plain intake vs. a high rise dual plain like the Stealth. Edelbrock also makes a good intake, the performer (low) and the performer RPM (high). Stay away from single plane intakes.
As for the carb you are going to get a mixed bag of replies. Some people hear love TQ's some love Carter style and some Holleys. All have their pros and con. Find a crab that you are comfortable with on your combo they will probably all work about the same. If you can spare the bucks I love BG carbs.
As for air flow(cfm) your cam, heads, comp., and how the car is to be use will have alot to do with the cfm. I would say 650 to on the big side 750 should be fine. Vac. sec is the way I would go for the street although you have a 4 speed.
Before you get a carb see how the intake does with you old carb first.
Old 09-23-2003, 10:53 PM
Inactive User

My 0.02 stay away from the Eddy carbs unless you can buy them in bulk
Old 09-24-2003, 01:05 AM

A Demon carb is only about $10 more than a Holley of the same size.

As you have a manual, you don't want a vac secondary.

If you like spread bores, you can't go wrong with a ThermoQuad. These things are simply amazing.
Old 09-24-2003, 09:44 AM
Inactive User

First thing is what are you planning on doing with the car. Is this a street/strip mod? Are you willing to pull the motor and upgrade the pistons, cam, etc? Do you have a quarter mile range you are interested in?

Please don't say I want to beat mustangs and get 20 miles to the gallon! I really hate that response. All in all you need to set some goals for the car.

If you had a basically stock rebuild then you have a good package to start with. You can accomplish a lot with just bolt on mods. The 383 Super Bee and Roadrunner 383 is an extremely good package. I would go with a more radical cam and a good dual plane intake. I would suggest the Performer RPM over everything else. The plane perfrormer is basically the same as a stock 4BBl intake which is aluminum. Not much gains there. The RPM is a cross between a single plain and a dual plane. It covers all RPM limits from low end torque to peak horespower. Tests were showing the RPM belting out peak hp numbers similar to single plains and it had the added benefit of delivering low end torque for the street. For a big block street/strip intake this thing is tough to beat.

For cam I'll step aside and let everyone else tell you about Racer Brown, then Hughes, then Ultradyne, then Engle...etc...I whisper Comp Cams will also grind Mopar specific cams if you ask them, but don't tell anyone that...LOL Seriously, I have a comp cams cam in my 383 and I do like the way it runs. It probably would run a bit better on a custom grind, but I wasn't as knowledgable back then.

Talk to cuda66273 about carbs...he'll have you dreaming about shiny demons in no time.

The only thing limiting you is your compression and your heads. They are probably 906's which are good heads that can flow well with a bit of work. And that is a whole different supject.
Old 09-24-2003, 04:05 PM
Banned

Yup a 650 Speed Demon with mechanical secondary's would be the ticket, bolt it on and hang on!

Catalog and sales policy
http://www.4secondsflat.com/fuelsystems.html

Tuning help
http://www.4secondsflat.com/demon101.html

Some good reading:
http://www.4secondsflat.com/Ignition.html

More reading for the John:
http://www.4secondsflat.com/Mission%20Ignition.html

Now were getting deep.....
http://www.4secondsflat.com/Cam_Tech.html

Anyhow have a look around and you'll get a better understanding of how alll this stuff works together.
Old 10-03-2003, 07:20 PM
Inactive User

Laugh

I want to beat Mustangs and get 20 miles to the gallon!
Old 10-03-2003, 07:20 PM
Inactive User

Laugh

I want to beat Mustangs and get 20 miles to the gallon!
Old 10-03-2003, 07:29 PM
Inactive User

Dang, I hit the post button before I was done.

I ment to say I was just kidding in the last post.

For all to know, I just bought a mechanical secondary 650 speed demon double pumper (new). I went ahead and got the electric choke option and cheeped out and got the mr. gasket fuel line instead of the $$$ demon line.

I have been layed up all summer with a torn achilies tendon and have not been able to drive it. Been doing a lot of mods and restoring. Just finished the new headliner, fixed the leaking heater core and non-operational control cables, and so on and so fourth, you guys know how it is.

Just wanted to get rid of the carb, I suspect that fuel is leaking out of the bowls and causing a hard start (takes a lot of cranking when it has sat for along time).

Thanks for the help, sounds like the performer RPM is the manafold I want.

Are there any clearance issues I need to worry about to keep the stock hood?
Old 10-06-2003, 09:28 AM
Inactive User

I have seen RPM intakes on 383's in 1st generation roadrunners that fit without mods to the hood so I don't think you will have a problem. You may need a drop base air cleaner. Take some clay and place it on the air cleaner and shut the hood. Open the hood and measure how thick the clay is. Use this as a guide for clearance. If your not using stock style bisciut (sp) mounts you may have issues though.
Old 10-07-2003, 12:30 AM
Inactive User

I would go with the Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake manifold and 750 Holley Double Pumper. A drop base open element breather with a K&N filter would be great as well. And if you can part with another $60+ get the K&N X-stream air cleaner lid.
Yes it will give you more power without any other mods.