Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-27-2003, 10:55 PM
Inactive User

Default Link/Ladder bar setup

Ok will be building the 400(500+) this winter and know this little A-body wont hook without a big tire..Does anyone know where I can get the 4-link setup for a good price and any tips or tricks or problems I may encounter during? I have a 9 inch to cut down and am wondering if it is better to fabricate a rear sub-frame or buy the whole sha-bang?
Old 09-29-2003, 04:56 PM
Inactive User

Buy the whole set up and weld in the new frame.... then just tin it and your done.

S&W outta pennsylvania will treat you the best.
1-800-523-3353 ext 12 is Don Scholl, great guy. He may need some measurements of the car and will hook you up great. Tell them I sent ya. He owes me a beer....lol

Call and ask some questions he is a great guy and will help you out a ton.
Old 09-29-2003, 07:08 PM
Inactive User

I dont think you need a four link with your HP you dont really need a huge tire unless it if for the steet. But if you want to clip it out a four link will cost the most and while it has alot of adjustments most people don't need it. You can clip the car cheeper with a ladder or four bar set up. Buy a kit with the housing ready to go with brackets this is one of those things that is better left to the guys who do it every day.
Old 09-29-2003, 08:46 PM
Inactive User

Default Hmm

Well I probably will be useing it alot on the street, Weekend Warrior Chevy Killer sums it up....Large cubes and B-1 heads, Do ya think a 12.5" tire will be ok? Im sure you guys would know better than I would thats why I ask..
Ive seen Bars for a decent deal I was just wondering if it would be ok.. So do I need to eliminate the Leafs and go with coil overs or do you think if it move them inboard and mini-tub it would it be sufficient? Dont really want over kill just want to make sure she grabs on a launch..
Again thanks for the input..
Old 09-29-2003, 10:41 PM
Inactive User

Alot of grey area here, First because this is a bench race car build the motor first then build the car around it. Your first post said a 400 at about 500+ horse. Then you said a B-1 stroker motor. the two are worlds apart in many ways mainly two ways 500hp vs 750hp+ and the price. Because it will be a more steet car you must know that a clipped car will ride low making clearances less (oil pan and headers). Clipped cars dont like high lateral loads. Don't run ladders and leafs, run one or the other. Clip are alot of work to put in and once they are in they are just as hard to change back and to often lesson the value of resale. If you do build a big B-1 motor put a clip in the car but remember if you take the car to a go track you will need alot of cage when it hooks or it will bend. Sorry for jumping around this subject has alot of what ifs but in short small hp motor no clip off the bat you can allways put it in start with the springs and snubber. If you do put a big Hp motor in same thing. You would be surprised how much the right gear will help the traction of a steet car. If you do clip the car with either motors run a four bar on the small or a ladder on the big not a 4 link from a price stand point. Just remember the way you when on the street is getting it to huck up big tires and gears dont always do it. I have a 68 cuda with big 32-14.5 and 4.56 gear and 625hp and on the steet I would get my as kicked by a fesiva from a standing start because it won't hook. So don't go crazy with a steet gear if you have a 9inch get 2 third members on for the strip and one for the street.
Old 09-29-2003, 11:22 PM

Hi HookVIP;

After talking with a few guy's at local drags. The Calvert Cal Trac Bars work well. Everyone who has them wouldn't trade them!!! http://www.calvertracing.com/
Old 09-30-2003, 01:03 AM
Banned

Re: Link/Ladder bar setup

Quote:
Originally posted by HookVIP
Ok will be building the 400(500+) this winter and know this little A-body wont hook without a big tire..Does anyone know where I can get the 4-link setup for a good price and any tips or tricks or problems I may encounter during? I have a 9 inch to cut down and am wondering if it is better to fabricate a rear sub-frame or buy the whole sha-bang?
For your car the best thing would be to go ladder bars with coil overs. They are really streetable and have enough adjustments for most any car at the track in your hp range. You want have to rear clip the car or tubb it. A 12.5 tire will fit and the ladders will give you more traction than you need. E mail me and I'll help you out. I have an A body ladder bar coil over car and it runs great both on the street and track and I have more hp than your planning on using. ******************** Drop me an e mail and I'll help you out.
Old 09-30-2003, 12:03 PM
Inactive User

Well if you want a ladder bar. I have a narrowed 8 3/4 with ladder bar and coil over set up ready to sell. It is narrow enough to probably put a 16 inch wide tire under it with the right wheels under an A body. It came outta my Daytona.
Old 09-30-2003, 07:21 PM
Inactive User

Default Alright!

Wow you guys are great! Sorry for mis understanding on hp level I meant 400(really 510 cubes) So heres a run down..
400 block poured with 4.25 stroke, Ross pistons(with a slight dome),Bill Miller rods, B-1 kit(Maybe Indy 440-1's) Depending on my finances beginning of next year..In A-body, fiberglass fenders with 6 pack hood, frame connectors and this winter 8 point cage(or even a 10 point)
All this is based on my buddys 70 Roadrunner..He has 4-link and said one good thing about it over leafs is stability say if you ever get squirrly..He has done all the trial and error things and waisted alot of money before he got the car the way he wants..And I would hate to do the same thing when I have tons of guys willing to help(like you all)

DWC43..I have your E-mail marked already but I cant remeber what it was concerning..I will definately be getting ahold of ya!

Mr. Garceau.. Leave me some mail with a few details on yer setup and maybe we can negotiate a price, and possibly save me some money in the long run..

HookVIP@aol.com
Again thanks to all for your input on this subject..

Is Mr. Fiberglass still around here somewhere? If so leave me some mail so I know we are still on the same page..
Old 10-27-2003, 08:19 PM
Inactive User

Hey DWC have you gotten any of my mail? Looks like its backhalfing time.. The tires are never gonna clear.. Wheres the best place to get the parts to Rebuild the rear section of the car?
Old 10-27-2003, 09:05 PM
Inactive User

S&W as I posted before ask for Don...tell him I sent ya
Old 10-28-2003, 12:02 AM
Inactive User

Will do I was wondering what I did with that number Ill write it down again..Thanks
Old 10-28-2003, 02:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by HookVIP
Hey DWC have you gotten any of my mail? Looks like its backhalfing time.. The tires are never gonna clear.. Wheres the best place to get the parts to Rebuild the rear section of the car?
Did you get my E mail back to ya with all of the good parts listed? I can get you everything you need along with how to install it too. Let me know if you got my mail or not.
Old 10-28-2003, 08:37 AM
Inactive User

Nope I didnt get it did you send it to HookVIP@aol.com ?
My other mail server doesnt work I havent used it since I got my Cable service, lost the password..
Sorry.. If you can try it at that address..

HookVIP@aol.com
^^^^^^^^^^^

Maybve you can just take the mail you have sent and redirect it..
Thanks again guys..
I thought I had a little more room under the car than I do..lol
But it cant hurt to have a new frame right?