Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-05-2003, 06:36 PM
Inactive User

Default who's ring & pinion to buy

hi
looking to buy new ring & pinion. who's should i
look at ? who's should i stay away from? 742 posi
behind 375 to 400 hp 383 b body? thanks
Old 10-05-2003, 06:43 PM
Banned

It's a sure grip not a posi. Posi is chebby junk. Do a web search for Randy's Ring and Pinion. THey will have what you need and then some. There place is not far from me and they have a class A set up. I would not consider anyone else for your Mopar needs.
Old 10-05-2003, 07:01 PM
Banned

Normally the best are made by the OEM. But since DC hasn't made any RWD 8 3/4 stuff for years .........Richmond is probably the best bet now.
Old 10-05-2003, 07:24 PM
Inactive User

Randy's Ring and Pinion has excellent products and service. I know, I purchased a new 741 case (3.73 gears) and pinion from them. Total cost with shipping was $750.

www.ringpinion.com
Old 10-05-2003, 07:37 PM
Banned

wow

seven-hundred-and-fifty-dollars ??? .............. what does that grocery-list look like ??
Old 10-05-2003, 09:04 PM
Inactive User

MMM everybody is suggesting Randys ring and pinion, but be careful, they kinda screwed me into going with the green bearings when I shouldnt have had to. I called them and talked and talked about a getting the endplay adjuster nut for an 8 3/4. They repeatedly told me nobody makes those, and the only place to get them is the junkyard. (I spent a week calling dealerships and so on on the off chance they could come up with one) SO fine, I order t he green bearings from them only to find out they stock the adjuster kits, and they are pretty affordable, but instead Im into them for $100 for bearings, and a week of hitting up every shop within 30 minutes trying to convince them press the bearings for me.

The service was really nice, but make sure when you call them dont let them talk you into something you dont want like me.
Old 10-05-2003, 09:13 PM
Inactive User

Default Gears NOT to buy

Strange/U.S. Gear

I went thur 2 sets of 4.30`s in a 742 housing.......
They wouldn`t replace either set saying that I had too much HP without even knowing what car/motor I had and I didn`t see how a stock 360 with a 340 cam was too much HP...
Joe
Old 10-05-2003, 09:20 PM
Banned

Never had them do that to me, but you are much better off with the green bearings and without the adjusters.
Old 10-05-2003, 09:31 PM

Amazing that it took you so long to find a place to press the bearings for you. The service station (Shell) down the street from me will do a simple job like that.
Old 10-05-2003, 09:40 PM
Banned

NAPA used to press our stuff on until I bought a press of our own.
Old 10-05-2003, 10:37 PM
Inactive User

i have been using Moser for several years now and everything has been great. i never suggest to use anyone, but they are priced as well as anyone and good quality stuff. just another option for you to toss around.

dwc is correct about the green bearing, unless you are building a spec sheet stock show car - toss the adjusters.
Old 10-05-2003, 10:56 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
dwc is correct about the green bearing, unless you are building a spec sheet stock show car - toss the adjusters.
funny everyone says that now, but go look for anys posts that says "should I use green bearings" then all the green bearing haters come out of the woodwork.
I am just a little weary since I want to do some scca playtime one of these days and they just seem weak with that little lock-ring to hold in my axles, but this wasnt exactly my point...

they had the adjusters in the 2 page ad in mopar muscle or whichever it was, but they convinced me nobody makes them, so you must now buy the green bearings that cost 4 times as much blah-blah-blah. It was just a trust thing I guess...just saying dont let them talk you into something else.

oh yeah and youre right ehostler, after a week oftrying every place that should have been able to do it-I ended up at the conoco station a block from my house to press them for me.
Old 10-05-2003, 11:25 PM
Banned

LOL

mean-greenies ??......... ...please note the correct tint ON the "wrecked" smilie !!

Why would you want to spend ONE CENT on a bearing........ that is absolutely in no way BETTER than the Timkens ???

OTHER than not having to be adjusted. And just how long does it take to do that in a rear-end swap.
Old 10-05-2003, 11:52 PM
Inactive User

my point exactly...I had a new set of timkens sitting on the workbench, and all I needed was the adjuster, and thats what I called Randys for (and all the local dodge dealers...etc...) but I went over this already in the earlier post...
this is getting off target here anyway
Old 10-06-2003, 01:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by kudah440
funny everyone says that now, but go look for anys posts that says "should I use green bearings" then all the green bearing haters come out of the woodwork.
I am just a little weary since I want to do some scca playtime one of these days and they just seem weak with that little lock-ring to hold in my axles, but this wasnt exactly my point...

they had the adjusters in the 2 page ad in mopar muscle or whichever it was, but they convinced me nobody makes them, so you must now buy the green bearings that cost 4 times as much blah-blah-blah. It was just a trust thing I guess...just saying dont let them talk you into something else.

oh yeah and youre right ehostler, after a week oftrying every place that should have been able to do it-I ended up at the conoco station a block from my house to press them for me.
I understand your point on trust. By the way was that the Washington store or the Tn. store. Note where I live. Also I have posted on those green bearing threads too and still use them. Have some in a dirt track car. Helps prevent the right rear seal from leaking. And dirt racing is the hardest on your equipement even more so than SCCA racing which I did a round or two of that before too. They should hold up nicley for you.
Old 10-06-2003, 08:24 AM
Inactive User

Im no expert but I have set up a lot of used gearsets and a couple new quite easily. But A couple weeks ago I set up a new set of richmonds. Dont know why but It was a pain. I couldnt get the pattern right on both sides. I have heard from a few others that richmond geras are just like this.
I dont know for sure that it is a problem but makes me nervous when everyone just expects 1 manufacturer to be harder than the rest to set up.
Old 10-06-2003, 10:50 AM
Inactive User

$750 total for a new 741 (3.73 gear) third member with yoke installed and shipping...no core charge. Nothing wrong with that price. Is there a better price somewhere?
Old 10-06-2003, 12:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Junky
$750 total for a new 741 (3.73 gear) third member with yoke installed and shipping...no core charge. Nothing wrong with that price. Is there a better price somewhere?
EXACTLY...what did you get for that 750$ ??
Old 10-06-2003, 04:57 PM

It might be surprising to find out how many different brand gear sets are made by the same manufacturer. Cutting hypoid gears requires some pretty expensive dedicated tooling and machinery.

Just like the transmission parts that are often described as "good" or "junk" that come from the same vendor.
Old 10-06-2003, 09:16 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by Mister Fiberglass
EXACTLY...what did you get for that 750$ ??
I got Mister Fiberglass asking me the same question over and over.
Old 10-06-2003, 10:21 PM
Banned

LOL

YEAH....if you would ANSWER the Q's I would stop........

you got a NEW 741 housing?.............. you got a sure-grip assembly ...or was it a spool or a single-wheeler ??
Old 10-07-2003, 12:01 AM

Well, according to the ads (and the website), $750 gets you a cleaned 741 housing (the new high strength housing will tack on about $350), a SureGrip, Gear, Yoke, and complete setup. All that you have to do is install the thing in your car.
Old 10-07-2003, 01:28 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
YEAH....if you would ANSWER the Q's I would stop........

you got a NEW 741 housing?.............. you got a sure-grip assembly ...or was it a spool or a single-wheeler ??
Sorry guy, I thought you were yanking my chain.

It's a new 741 third member (case, chuck, punkin), 3.73 gear ratio, cone style suregrip, and the yoke installed. You must request the yoke as it comes without. I'm very pleased with it, fit was right on the mark. Very little noise out of those 3.73 gears, as they are known to make noise for some reason. The guys at Randy's ring and pinion were very helpful and gave all the time in the world to my questions.

ehostler is right on...
Old 10-07-2003, 02:45 PM
Banned

All that matters Junkster .....is that you are happy with the "deaL" ....but myself.......

I could not imagine paying almost 8 hun for a SG pig.
Old 10-07-2003, 03:55 PM

Think about it... $750 for new everything, the alternative of buying a used 3rd member and then putting in a new SG with new gears, and new bearings. After labor, the alternative would run close to the same money.

The advantage to going the alternative route is that for about the same money, you could end up with a 742 or a 489...
Old 10-07-2003, 04:14 PM
Banned

LOL

.....a NEW SG, gears, bearings ..... ????

I would like to have your racing budget !!

...............all I have ever done is used USED bearings and SG's !! .....and only new gears one time.
Old 10-07-2003, 05:46 PM
Inactive User

Smile

Quote:
All that matters Junkster .....is that you are happy with the "deaL" ....but myself.......

I could not imagine paying almost 8 hun for a SG pig.
Yes Mr. Fiberglass, I'm very happy with the deal. With what I know about this stuff (rear gears), which is very little, I'd have spent even more money if I tired doing it myself with all new parts. When I go in to do major things like this I most always use new parts. I don't have time to mess with used stuff, working sometimes and other times not. Using new parts is a luxury that I work hard to have. But that's the trade off. I'm working so dang much I don't have much time to do much anything else. So I get the parts and get it done ASAP so I can drive me Coronet, not working on it. Anyway...cruise it, or lose it.
Old 10-07-2003, 05:50 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by ehostler
Think about it... $750 for new everything, the alternative of buying a used 3rd member and then putting in a new SG with new gears, and new bearings. After labor, the alternative would run close to the same money.

The advantage to going the alternative route is that for about the same money, you could end up with a 742 or a 489...
Thanks ehostler, you helped make my point.

The 741 will hold up and do everything I will ever need. That is one case that is under rated. Cost less too.
Old 10-07-2003, 06:08 PM
Inactive User

I only wish I had seen Randy's Ring & Pinion before I changed my 741 single leg to a 489 sure-grip. I paid $75 for a 489 pig, $250 for a rebuilt clutch type sure-grip, $250 for a new 3:55 ring and pinion, $80 r&p install kit plus $100 labor. Total cost: $755 that doesn't include hours of time/travel. Now, after break in I have too much r&p slack and I will need to take it out to re-adjust. I would have bought a complete assembly from Randy's in a second if I had to do it again.