Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Diesel & Turbo Diesel Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-07-2003, 04:22 PM

Default Looking for a diesel, need help on what year is "best"

Ok, Im looking for a diesel Ram. I know there have been quite a few changes since 94, with 24 valve, computers, trannys, so what I want to know is what is are the good Cummins Diesel Rams out there? What years should I stay away from, what trannys, etc etc.

Here are my criteria:

(1) has to be 94+

(2) auto or manual, doesnt matter, but if an auto, it must live behind the diesel with out any worries.

(3) I dont care if its 12 or 24 valve, but I want it to run good and have good power. I seem to remember a lot of people complaining when the first 24Vs came out.

So, any suggestions?

thanks!

clay
Old 10-12-2003, 11:34 PM
Inactive User

Well--the old 12 valve B engine is the most simplistic (fully mechanical), but the new common rail high output will probably be the strongest, so it is pick and choose. I have seen some problems out of the ISB (24 valve) with the computed advance. I got my hands on one that would not spin past 2200, when most will turn just over 3k--just needed a new computer. So it is your pick--full mechanical (still strong, but not as), electronic advance (somewhere in the middle), or the common rail (should be a bad-butt and is fully electronic in the fuel management department). As for trannies, the New Venture 4500 five speed is real strong, the 618 does okay, but stay away from the five speed Getrag. As for the brand new ones, can't say.
Old 10-25-2003, 12:52 AM
Inactive User

The most sought after truck buy TDR members for BOMBing is a 98 Quad Cab 12 valver 5spd.They have the sought after 913 P7100 on them and usually tend to make good power with even minor mods.The 5 spd is a tough hombre but once you get to a certain point clucth and input shafts need upgraded to handle high torque loads.

The 96-97 5spd 12 valvers are next in line as they were also 215hp and had good power when modified.

Now for the plug and play trucks,or the electronic motors as you call them.99 is a very good year to tune as they do not have the fuel ramp up problems the 2000-up trucks have when boxes are installed.What I mean here is,under fast or hard acceleration some of the newer trucks will defuel due to a code installed by D-C to prevent over-boost and over-fueling so trucks will live longer and pass emissions.No one yet has gotten thru that problems and it still exists today,some are worse than others.

Now for a easy way to make your decision..
Look at it this way..
Do you like the constant turned on power feeling of the 12valvers no matter what the conditions or the ability to flip the switch of a 24valver in bad or inclement weather.I can attest that driving a modified 12valver in bad weather can be a hand full,if you don't think its a big deal then its a easy choice...........BRM
Old 11-02-2003, 07:27 PM
Inactive User

I started looking about 2 years ago and did some homework and the 12 valvers seemed Fine. My 2WD 95 was super clean and well maintained,and owned by a cummins nut so i felt it was worth paying more for( way more!) plus I had criteria of it being a loaded model , single wheel, X-cab. This one has an auto that was done by BD and has lasted 120K already. Mine has only minor mods done and i have no complaints about power. It has straight 4" exhaust,#11 fuel plate ,(can go way more on the fuel plates) and 230 injectors.(can go way more here now also) You can go with big power injectors and fuel plate on a 12 valver for cheap. With the auto trans i do have dead spot when i want to pass from 50MPH because it won't downshift and it takes a few seconds for the turbo to spool up. from 60-65 MPH she'll go to 90+ well tops out at 100 and will run that for a week ! I wanted the 3.54 rear and got it and I'm sure the 4.10 will pull a little harder but your reall limited on top end. What ever you do don't forget to ask about the KDP( killer dowel pin) that is the only thing that will trash these engines. Mine has already been done.
I see more of a problem with body/interior integrity than engine problems. I paid a lot for mine but there are many extra things you can do to them that is already done to mine ,engine mods, KDP fixed, gauges , exhaust brake, custom torque converters(expensive). etc. And the 981/2 and older have the desireable 7100 Bosch pump that you can change fuel plates in .

Before I found mine with 160K already on the clock i found a 5 speed stripper model that had only A/C ,but only 80K miles. . I talked My friend into buying that one and it has more powerful mods than mine and even a quicker turbo. with the 5 speed that one is mean bitch in the mid range,but i can get by him top speed , he also black smokes like crazy through his 5" tailpipe tip!

I would sell mine as I don't really use it for as much as i thought I would and financial things have changed here . But i won't sell it cheap:-) .
Keep in mind that they are ALL noisy until 03. i have to shut mine off at the drive in window.
BTW- i check my mileage every tank like the previous owner did and I drive it like i stole it and still get 15-21 MPG. I can get a constant 16.5 while towing 5500 lbs. and thats where she shines. Hey what else can you buy that makes more power the more it spark knocks:-)

hope that helps. DAVE
Old 11-04-2003, 09:26 PM
Inactive User

Default ATTN: CROSSY

Can you e-mail me some pics of your truck, and a price??? canucktrucks4u@hotmail.com
Old 11-04-2003, 10:08 PM
Inactive User

Don't know if this helps, but...
Just bought a 04 QC HO auto 4x. Best and most powerful truck I've had, even though it's only been a week. 1500 miles and average 17mpg city, hiway, towing combined. Live in mountains and have pulled trailer up Wolf Creek Pass and La Veta Pass (CO) with no problem, in fact had to slow down for the corners... uphill!

Compared with my fathers 01 6spd on same "hills", runs stronger, more power. Hard to compare 6spd and auto, but I had to downshift with the 6spd, the auto never kicks down. Passing just takes a minute to get used to. Kick it and the turbo spools up and you're doing 90 before you know it.

FYI
Old 11-17-2003, 01:01 AM
Inactive User

off topic i know, but...

we borrowed my uncles blazer to pull a silver banana camper up la veta pass to fun valley, and we were going 20mph (trailer full of water, tired 350) cuz the hills are steep.

with my dads '93 chevy (350 TBI all stock) and 24 1/2' fifth wheel camper (no slide out), dad had to downshift into 2nd and romp on it to A: keep from overheating and B: go 55-60mph. our ford explorer (5ppl) had a little trouble going up wolf creek, but not much.

just to let you know if you haven't been up there, those mountain passes are pretty steep. only rams were passing us, chibbies were behind us (in the '93)...i didn't see too many furds up there
Old 11-17-2003, 02:00 AM
Banned

Hey....I have a 98 QC 24v 4wd diesel dually LOADED except for leather....NICE. 70k miles. I am not far from you - sw MI.

Drop me a note - to the email in my profile.