Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-08-2003, 09:13 PM
Inactive User

Question Anyone done the magnum pulley swap?

Read in MoPar Muscle that Dick Landy says you can swap Magnum pulleys/accessories from a late model V8 to the older LA engines if you get all the correct parts.
That is what I want to do for my '85 Ramcharger with a 360.
Anyone done this swap on a truck or a car??\
Old 10-08-2003, 10:01 PM
Banned

You dont want to do that. Your going backwards just like the factory did. They did it mainly cause it was faster to install and cheaper for them. What you get with the serp belt set up is noise and lots of it. Worn belts every time you turn around. If it breaks nothing works now, your dead in the water. And they do break often. And did I mention the high cost of those belts that you will be replacing on a regular basis. Plus the actually do take more hp to turn them than V belts. Ever notice Nascar ,SCCA,NHRA,IHRA, etc. etc. still use V belts on there race cars. Takes less hp to drive a V belt

Your old V belts are quiet, cheap to purchase and install. Only on rare occasions if one breaks will it throw the others off. I know, broke one on my way to Ind. and ran on one alt belt all the way up there and back with no probs. Stick with the V belts it's the best set up and you cant go wrong with it. If anything, just change to some March underdrive pulley's and pick up some hp that way.
Old 10-09-2003, 01:25 AM

V belts are quite strong also, I saw a motor hoisted by one!
Old 10-09-2003, 06:42 AM
Inactive User

Default My experence is the opposite, dwc43

Serpentine belts are unreliable and take more power?
The vehicles I have owned with a serpentine belt setup have been EXTREMELY reliable and the older vehicles with the V belts have been a pain. I have to constantly adjust tension on power steering, alt belts and have had brackets break on me before.
NOT GOOD. Another thing is if you are putting together a car and don't have all the original pulleys it is a NIGHTMARE trying to hunt the matching pulleys so everything will work.
The MARCH kit is nice but I don't have $900 laying around for it.

So in my opinion the old setup require MUCH more maintenance than the new serpentine setup.
Old 10-09-2003, 09:10 AM
Banned

The march set up is only around 200 not 900. THe old system required maybe one adjustment per year. And that is better than the noise and constant worn out belts caused be the auto adjuster.

Pishta, I have seen an engine hoisted with them too in a junk yard though. Dont think I'll ever try it though.
Old 10-09-2003, 06:42 PM
Inactive User

Default Checked March

There conversion kit that would work on my Ramcharger and swap everything is $705. I have to say their prices came down since the last time I checked them.
The $200 kit is a basic crank, waterpump, alt, belt kit.

Have to have power steering and AC.
Will be looking for a junk yard magnum to score the parts from.