Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-11-2003, 01:56 PM
Inactive User

Cry MP Valve Cover Woes

I'm starting to not like MP valve covers, or at least the ones I have. Ever since I had them, they leaked.

I just got some new Fel-Pro gaskets to try, once more, get rid of the oil leak. This time I read the instructions (since I have been torquing them by hand) and it said to torque down to 90 in/lbs of torque.

Alrighty...I do that and one of the valve covers starts to crack at the corner. I stopped before it did really bad damage, but I can see it has split somewhat.

So, does anyone know what the torque spec is for the MP valve covers? Are they different than others? I know I'm going to have to get some new ones now (due to the split)...I don't think I want the MP ones anymore.

What does everyone else here use other than MP? Thanks.
Old 10-11-2003, 02:26 PM
Inactive User

I got a set of fabricated sheetmetal covers from muscle motors for my 440.

give them a call or look on ebay for them, maybe they make sb ones too.

mine were 160.00 + 60.00 for two breather kits.

they do not have a seperate "rail" that can bend and distort, they are tightened by long allen head bolts (@3" long)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?View

here is a link to the add for the BB covers to let you know what they look like
Old 10-11-2003, 04:20 PM

90 inch lbs is alot for a 1/4-28 stud (factory 383 spec) they recommend 40 inch lbs and 36 inch/lbs for a 1/4-20 bolt on a 318. I would use the rubber coated metal gaskets that Mopar sells. They have soft rubber ribs that seal and a metal core that doesnt collapse, just snug it down, dont torque it. As for the MP or M/T valve covers...make sure there is no interference with the intake runners! YOu must clearance them yourself or run 2 cork gaskets to raise it above the runners.
Old 10-11-2003, 04:30 PM
Banned

I agree with Pishta. Use the gray rubber metal gaskets from Mopar and clearencs the covers around your after market intake. With stock you dont have to do that. I use Moroso covers for most of my stuff.
Old 10-11-2003, 04:33 PM
Inactive User

I just bought the el cheapo Eddies.. no probs on my 440.. used the high end fel pro that were kinda rubbery.. bought a tube of 404 adhesive ( man they don't give that stuff away..)

everything seemed to work OK so far..

Blygy
Old 10-11-2003, 04:44 PM

Hey DKN, you posted a bad link. I think that this is the link that you intended...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33627
Old 10-11-2003, 06:44 PM
Inactive User

Default Thanks!

Thanks a lot all! I appreciate it. I guess Fel-Pro's instructions must have been way off. I talked with someone else that confirmed the 40 in/lbs. Geeezzzz, that's what I get for following instructions.

I also appreciate the hook up on those valve covers. They look really good. I think I'm going to get a set.

I'll learn from my mistakes...thanks again guys...
Old 10-12-2003, 12:03 AM
Inactive User

THE best gasket sealer (if you opt to go this route) is called The Right Stuff. It is the only sealer that will seal in the presence of oil and antifreeze. Nothing better.
Old 10-12-2003, 12:39 AM
Inactive User

Thanks all!

I just got finished reading an old thread here (from 2001) where apparently a bunch of people seemed to have problems with these MP Cast Aluminum VCs on BBs (I have a 440). They leaked and cracked, just like mine. I will admit I'm probably responsible for the cracking though with the over-torque.

Oh well, I just checked out some nice stamped steel ones (chrome). I also saw in the thread that at least 3 people did a switch from the MP Cast Aluminum to the MP stamped steel and their leaking went away.

I'm willing to give it a try, anything to get rid of this $%#$ leak. It looks like I'm going to be placing an order with Summit again.

I guess I'll use the cracked MP cast ones for garage ornamentation.
Old 10-12-2003, 11:07 AM
Inactive User

sorry, I did not realize you had a big block.

not to beat a dead horse, but I am totally sold on the muscle motor vc's. besides looking way cool, they do not leak and look like they will never distort.

what to a set of mp covers go for anyway?
Old 10-12-2003, 01:36 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by dkn1997@aol.com
sorry, I did not realize you had a big block.

not to beat a dead horse, but I am totally sold on the muscle motor vc's. besides looking way cool, they do not leak and look like they will never distort.

what to a set of mp covers go for anyway?
No prob on thinking SB vs BB. I used to have 413 and popped in this 440 over the summer.

The stamped steel ones are $120 from Summit and they look like..

The cast aluminum ones are $99.99 from Summit and they look like...

I completely agree with you on the Muscle Motors VCs, they look really nice and for what you are getting are a good bargain. The only reason I did not go for them is Summit is really good about returns. I've had to return some hose clamps that I had opened and used (they sucked basically, no clamping, leaks) and they took them right back. I thought going through Summit would be good insurance for me if these VCs turned out to be leaky as well.

I'm going to follow everything to a T now...when I get them
1) No over-torque
2) Fresh clean rubber gasket
3) Permatex
4) Clean the oil off the heads before install
5) Have appropriate breathers in place

I did see a thread where someone mentioned leaking was occurring since they did not have enough breathing enabled for the crankcase. Currently I have one breather, I went ahead and got a couple of K&N ones for these new covers.

*crossing fingers*

Four times is got to be a charm, at least I've become a pro at taking these VCs off and cleaning them since I've had to do it so much lately.

Thanks a lot for letting me know about those MM VCs though. If these stamp steel ones turn out to be a bust, I'm definately going to check them out next...I kept the link.
Old 10-12-2003, 03:47 PM
Inactive User

Forget permatex that stuff stinks. Try The Right stuff next time you will not be happier.
Old 10-13-2003, 02:46 AM
Inactive User

I have cracked a MP BB valvecover too, the design of them puts too much stress to the corner to make it prone to cracking. Many have also told that their coveres were not straight in the first place. I currently use stamped steelies from Moroso, they are propably the same as the MP steel units but with a different text.

Took a look at the fabricated covers above too and thought wow, those might be nice! But then the reality struck. First, I have no bolts in the heads, I have studs. Don't like the idea of long bolts and aluminum heads when you have to remove them for check ups. Second, I need room for the brake booster. If you had enough room for the MP cast ones, then you should have no problem.

And the third reason which does not imply me, but may be pretty important to some others. The valve cover bolts in the stock and edelbrock BB heads are in an angle, they are not straight up from the cover flange. Most aftermarket heads do have bolts straight up from the flange. So, which style do these covers fit? I believe they are for the straight up aftermarket models.
Old 10-13-2003, 03:50 PM
Inactive User

Default VALVE COVER GASKETS

Mopar doesn't make a "gray rubber metal gaskets" for big block only small block.
Old 10-13-2003, 05:00 PM
Inactive User

Default Re: VALVE COVER GASKETS

Quote:
Originally posted by mdeane
Mopar doesn't make a "gray rubber metal gaskets" for big block only small block.
Yep, you're right...I wish they did...

I'm using the best Fel-Pro rubber ones I could find for the BB.
Old 10-13-2003, 06:56 PM
Inactive User

the mm covers fit stock heads, I have them on my 346's. no leaks and great fit.
Old 10-14-2003, 01:19 AM
Inactive User

they propably fit both, nut in one or the other application the bolt angle is wrong. The bolt angle in the stock heads isn't much, and with the long bolts they can handle the slight mismatch. However, with aluminum heads and adjustables the wrong angle will wear out the bolt holes if you have to pull them regularily.