Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-13-2003, 10:01 PM
Inactive User

Help Valve train Clacking???????? Help

Hello Guys/Girls......
I Have just finished building a 360 interceptor for my warlock truck and fired it up on thursday the 8th and boy does the valve train on the drivers side clack. I took the valve cover off and had a look and Everything seems to look ok ,So I took the intake off and was looking around for a lifter that may have gone bad and what I found was that I can lift some of the lifters off the cam when the valves are on a compression stroke????? Iam sure that there is to be full contact with the cam at all times!!!!! which leeds me to think that some of the push rods are too short????
Now is there a differance in push rods or are they all the same length for 273,318,340,360. I even checked the tops of the valves with a strait edge to see if they are all at the same hight
and they are one the set of heads on the engine but the other set of heads I have here for a 360 the intake valves seem to be a little shorter in hight than the exhaust valves.... Is there a answer to all this mess I am pulling my hair out on this matter.................... thanks for your in put......
Old 10-14-2003, 02:19 AM
Inactive User

hello, are these the original heads and valve train from the motor?? It does sound like you have short pushrods. I discovered recently on small block mopars, that the shaft saddles vary a great deal in height from the deck surface on the heads. this would cause lots of valve train grief.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:40 AM
Inactive User

Maybe you could try a set of the 273 cu in adjustable rockers on the heads in an effort to take up the slack.
Old 10-17-2003, 09:09 AM
Banned

Look at the retainers for the exhaust and intake...are they identical or do you have the rotators on the E side?

Email me direct as I may not get back to the board for a few days.
Old 10-25-2003, 03:43 AM
Inactive User

well I found the problem ......... and you all might want to keep this in mind that the next time you go to buy LIFTERS they may apeer to look the same but if I were you I would put a push rod on them look at the hight of the pushrod to the old one and if it sits lower than your old one Don,t buy them Like I did or you will have the same problem ...... NEVER buy off shore parts.... they look the same but don,t work the same ...... these lifters cost me more grief and gasket kits then I need..... so beware of this
Old 10-25-2003, 11:41 AM
Banned

No Kidding??? those Chinese parts aren't the same huh.....well Gooooolleeee Bubba.

Have I said this before somewhere or was I halucinating?
Old 10-25-2003, 01:43 PM
Inactive User

Everyone take heart the Chinese have got a new engineer his name is Makeright Soon.
Old 10-25-2003, 02:05 PM
Inactive User

Well I tell ya I did NOT know that they were off shore parts!!!
last summer when I was building the engine there were NO lifters to be found do to a strike from the manufacture and had to wait for a few weeks till they found some Not knowing were they were to come from of corse.... I have built lots of SBdodges and Never ran into this problem ...... so this is why I posted this > I don,t want to see anyone else go threw the grief like I did
Old 10-25-2003, 02:20 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry
Well I tell ya I did NOT know that they were off shore parts!!!
last summer when I was building the engine there were NO lifters to be found do to a strike from the manufacture and had to wait for a few weeks till they found some Not knowing were they were to come from of corse.... I have built lots of SBdodges and Never ran into this problem ...... so this is why I posted this > I don,t want to see anyone else go threw the grief like I did
Dont get we've all been the unwilling buyer of unknown parts at sometime especilly when your in a hurry to get something finished and it is a learning experience. Just try and not go there again. I'm glad it was't a high $ learning experience.