Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Slant Six Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-16-2003, 08:57 AM
Inactive User

Default Chronic manifold to head pipe leak

Because, in part, of the lack of more than two studs connecting the head pipe to the exhaust manifold, I keep springing leaks at the opposite compass points from the studs. I've tried with and without gaskets, with and without hi-temp sealant. Are there any particular gasket brands that are thicker/work better? Any particular installation procedures that might help? I've read about soaking header gaskets overnight to help with leaks — would soaking the manifold to flange gasket help? Any and all suggestions welcome on this annoying problem. Thanks in advance!

Vinceman

1972 Dodge Dart
198 Slant Si
Old 10-16-2003, 11:04 PM
Inactive User

Soaking the gasket works about 5 minutes until it dries out.
2 bolts are all that's needed. My '68 Valiant never leaked for 35 years, I had to put a pipe on this year when the original system finally rotted out.
Your head pipe flange must be warped. You'll have to take the head pipe off the car to straighten it.
There is a better gasket with a metal 'fire' ring. If the parts store does'nt have it, try a muffler shop.
One other thing to check, make sure the pipe is not hitting up against the side of the block or oil pan rail. This will keep the flange from pulling up flat and let the gasket burn out.

Cecil