Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-17-2003, 03:05 PM

Default Question about removing my power booster

HI guys.

Last night I wedged myself under my dash to get the old power booster off and I can't quite make out where to unhook the linkage.
Also...any tricks for getting at the four bolts that hold the power booster on the firewall? It may have seemed more difficult because of my super-awkward position (I'm 6'2 and 260lbs) , but they are waaaay back there and I don't see an easy way to get to the top ones....

Maybe I need to remove the front seat to get some room to work?
Old 10-17-2003, 03:20 PM
Banned

You could always drill a hole in the dash...we cut holes in the tranny hump so we could easily reach the bellhousing bolts....then just spot welded a patch over them until next time....
Old 10-17-2003, 06:14 PM

My fault for not saying what I'm working on

It's a 69 RR Convertible that I am in the final stages of restoring to 100 points....so no drilling allowed.

Heck, if that were possible I would have put in some a/c by now!

But thanks for the suggestion. I spoke to a buddy here at work who told me the only way to do it would be to put a six pack (of beer) in the cooler, and get dirty...then drink the six pack.

Sounds like a plan.

By the way...that is one CRAZY looking Cuda you have there. Ever come to Moroso in South FLorida?
Old 10-17-2003, 06:24 PM

It's almost always easier to remove the seat, before working on anything under the dash. When I was younger (and much more flexible), I didn't have a problem with getting myself contorted to some very unusal positions to work under the dash. Now, it's just easier to remove the seat and work on it.
Old 10-17-2003, 07:07 PM

You ain't kiddin' I was wedged under there pretty good.

I think once I get a little more comfortable, it should be a quick remove/replace.
Old 10-17-2003, 07:52 PM
Inactive User

I offer no help but just a funny (and embarrasing) story.

I was doing something withmy dash.. cant remember exactly what but i was under the dash, and dropped a small nut, it got caught in the lip at the bottom of the inside of the dash. i was trying to get the small nut back and my finger got caught.

I couldnt get my finger out it was stuck at the knuckle. i sat there for a good hour trying to free myself. finally i said the hell with it and mustered up some bravery and just ripped it out. Hurt like hell. no perminent damage, just to my ego..lol.
Old 10-18-2003, 09:32 AM
Inactive User

Default The best way....

...is to remove the seat. Then you can lay down on you back, and put your head where your feet normally are. I usually hang on to the steering wheel to get myself in and out. Also, where some safety googles 'cause once you start playing in there you'll notice how much crap will fall on your face.

Have fun!
Old 10-18-2003, 11:06 AM

You said it! All the insulation in there seems to flake off and head directly into my eyes! I was also a little freaked out by how much surface corrosion there was on everything.

Made me want to take the whole dash off...but that's not happening...at least not yet.

If I can, I'll get the whole swap on camera to do a step by step type thing...

OH ONE MORE THING!!!

I really don't want to bleed the brake system AGAIN...I just got done replacing the m/c....which I thought was the problem, but turned out not to be... I can just kind of remove the bolts and sort of push it out of the way to remove/replace the booster...RIGHT... RIGHT??
Old 10-18-2003, 11:27 AM
Banned

Your right. Just carefully move the master out of your way after unbolting it.