Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

View Poll Results: Which coil? (specify why)
MSD 11 44.00%
Accel 5 20.00%
Mallory 0 0%
Stock/other (specify) 9 36.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-24-2003, 02:05 AM
Inactive User

Default stock or hi output coil?

Has anyone out there every scoped (ocsillioscope) ignition coils or done some kind of tests.

I mean how do you know the msd accel mallory fancy pants coils really make an improvement.

I have heard evidence both ways. The factory coil doesnt produce near the energy of those aftermarket units... But it produces more energey from idle up to mid range? The aftermarket coil proceeds to then kick in and have a sharp curve from the mid to upper.

S what do you decide. powerful spark from idle to mid range but then fall off. Or weak spark up to mid range then come alive. Is there a coil out there that does it all?

Jacobs claims there variable magnetic coils can achieve that. But they are a failure prone name.

Does anyone know of some independant test that shows the coils actual output energy available at various rpm levels????
Old 10-24-2003, 08:41 AM

Default Re: stock or hi output coil?

Quote:
Originally posted by Grandv8
Jacobs claims there variable magnetic coils can achieve that. But they are a failure prone name.
Where do you hear that?? I have used the Jacobs systems in 3 different vehicles and have never had a problem with them. I've known several people that use JAcobs and none of them have ever had a problem. Many of the vehicle that go to my local cruise-in use Jacobs and they have never had problems either.
Old 10-24-2003, 09:05 AM
Banned

I've run them all...many times on various single spark boxes and Multi spark, we run several systems a week.

About 3 years ago out of pure frustration I set out on a mission to find or build a decent box for Mopars.

We tested every coil and box we could find, American, Chinese, Mexico you name a coil we probably tested it. I have over 50 ECU's tagged and tested with several different coils all putting out less than desirable #'s or they pull timing out of motor at higher RPM or the KV output drops off to a failure level for performance driving.

We finally consulted with a Electrical Engineer to find the problem and come up with a cure and he did. So we had the box in various configurations from single spark to MS with built in Rev limiters.

Once we had the box we needed to find a coil that could fire it, we tried everything you can imagine to get it run hot enough. Finally we solved the coil problem with the assistance of a major coil manufacturer who combined a couple of components and got us a coil that could keep up to the box.

Late last night we completed our testing and gave it our stamp of approval...this morning I'll call the 3 different manufacturers involved and have them go ahead and build us Coils and ECU's.

We still need to test the Coil with MSD, Mallory, Crane and all the other imported ECU's to see how well they work. I'm confident that the good MS systems will improve with our coil and the cheap imported boxes will end up as a puddle on your fender.

I'm be compiling a partial list of our test results using various boxes and coil combinations for you to compare and I'll post it on my web site for your reading pleasure probably early next week.

We should have our "Bullet Ignition Kit" part number A688 ready to ship in 3 weeks from today.

Don
Old 10-24-2003, 12:23 PM
Inactive User

I have had two Jacobs FULL ignitions and three ultra coils. On different vehicles. Everyone crapped. Be it after one two years or more. I mean totall failure. If you look up on any jacobs chat you will see a slew of angry previous owners. Heck even in jacobs own website chat there are people there speaking of them being failure prone.
If you have had yours for some time. great. I think it is a cutting edge design and idea, My vehicles ran great with them. But I just couldnt take the reliability issues and the lack of support for warranty. I would recomend you have the stock ignition in the trunk. Not trying to step on toes. Just letting you know about the Expensive hard knox lessons I have learned....
Old 10-24-2003, 04:06 PM
Inactive User

Default Jacobs

I bought my Pro Street from recomendations from several people that own them. I have heard bad things about the boxes for the import crowd and the new digital boxes though. I keep the stock ignition in place just in case though. Haveing no problems for years though, I would recommend them (the pro street kit anyway) to anyone.
Old 10-25-2003, 08:19 AM
Inactive User

I believe some of the new "Digital"boxes were released to the public without enough real world torture testing.Couple of years ago I bought a new Holley Strip Annihalator for our Duster,Comes with a wiring harness that would work in a 747.Does everything but put gas in the car for you.After an all day install, it didnt make it out of the garage.Had to reinstall the stocker to go racing.Jegs sent me a new one.It lasted a year.So back to the tried and proven MSD 6AL and Blaster coil.---Dont throw away those chips guys!-B.T.W. the old MSD has a much smoother rev limiter than the Holley (even when it worked)-----------------------"The worlds still a toy if you just stay a boy"
Old 10-25-2003, 11:39 AM
Banned

You WILL NOT have any problems with this system.

We have torchered this package and watched the competition melt and burn...ours just keeps on going.
Old 10-26-2003, 10:20 PM
Inactive User

Any ideas on the price for your single spark ECU?
Old 10-26-2003, 10:47 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

cud66- Is this system strip only- or is it also good for street cars??

Sounds very tempting to buy, though--your realworld testing is everything, takes the guesswork out.
Old 10-27-2003, 10:47 AM
Banned

From new post:

"We track tested our new box on Saturday night at PIR, the test car had a 2 year best of 14.62, with only a ECU change and nothing else it went 14.24, 14.32 and 14.28...a full 3 tenths quicker and almost 3 MPH faster. He wasn't real happy about taking it out and putting his Orange box back in....on the 4th pass with the orange box it went back to 14.69 and slowed 3 MPH. This Guy's distributor is way out of whack and was a perfect test vehicle to see what just the box could do....this winter we'll set up his distributor install the box and coil and watch him dip into the 13's."

The kit will cost $99:
FBO ECU
FBO Coil
Standard X series Cap
Standard X series Rotor

Canadian customers can order from Dave's Mopars as I'll be shipping him a stock order as soon as they're packaged.

Target date for shipping is Nov 10th.

The initial run will only be 50 Kits.

"Strip or Street"???

This box is designed for Mopar Muscle cars using conventional single pick-up ignition systems.
Application is specifically for STREET and some occasional strip use or for the guy who wants to race a Sportsman class in the 13.00 and slower group. It's for show cars, daily drivers and weekend Hot Rods.

If your currently running a MSD, HI-6 or similar multi spark system this is not meant to replace those systems. It does not have the ability to run a REV limiter.

If your running any of the Mopar Boxes whatever color or any of the "So Called" performance boxes you'll see a definite improvement in your overall performance.

I would spec this system for any street driven Mopar V-8 that is using a cam up to 240* of duration at 50 and running pump gas.

Now if you have a 8:1 compression motor with no mods, a 2 BBl carb that you shift at 4200 RPM don't expect anything more than possibly quicker starts.

But, if you've got a Muscle Car with a decent cam and set up pretty good you'll probably feel the difference in the seat of your pants especially in the upper RPM range....4000 to 6500.

The outputs of this system almost mirror an MSD with the exception of the low RPM multi spark system.
Old 10-27-2003, 11:08 AM
Banned

Moparchat members will recieve FREE ground freight to the lower 48.
Old 10-27-2003, 01:30 PM
Inactive User

Smile

NICE WORK cuda66! An affordable hi-po ignition that works.
I am currently running the Orange box, the Jacobs coil, and wires on a warmed over 340

How did the Jacobs box stack up against yours?? Do you sell the box separately?

Mopar to ya,
Old 12-08-2003, 10:08 PM
Inactive User

Does anyone know the stock coil volt output?
Old 12-13-2003, 06:13 PM
Inactive User

Best coil on a budget is for an 89 Lebaron with turbo II engine,itll run you $17 and its rated at 45,000..........PRO......
Old 12-13-2003, 06:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by 74 DART SWINGER
Does anyone know the stock coil volt output?
Stock coils run 35 to 40,000v. tops every model made for Mopars.
Old 06-02-2004, 05:19 AM
Inactive User

Almost any coil will do the job if you have a good box pushing it. I've used Jacobs and Mallory boxes with Jacobs Ultra-coil with excellant results. For 8 years I sold a TON of Jacobs ignition. I found that there boxes worked very well but had about a 10-15% failure rate, I felt that was a bit high. I always replaced them at no charge to my customer, and always got warranty from Jacobs-no hassle. I never had a problem with their coils(I must have sold a million and a half of them!!!!!!!! ). I have yet to see a better made ignition wire than a Jacobs. I still have the set on my 440 Cuda that was installed in 1990. just my .02.............djs
Old 06-02-2004, 07:39 AM
Banned

The coils makes as big difference just like the boxes used. Want to see a better wire, look at MSD's wires. Top quality piece there.