Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-28-2003, 01:08 AM
Inactive User

Default TQ adjustment

I'm having a few minor difficulties with my carb, and am hoping someone can shed some light.

Firstly, if I let the truck sit for over a day, it becomes a real pain in my a$$ to start up. It doesn't want to catch at all, like there's no fuel. After I crank the motor over about 4-5 times, the motor will start to catch and everythings hunky dorry. I thought maybe somehow the fuel bowl was drying up, but to see that it looks like I'll have to dissasemble the entire thing AND a mechanic at work said that would be highly unlikely. The motor starts perfect if its been sitting for just a short while, I highly doubt it has anything to do with the choke.

Secondly, I get a noticable bog when I accelerate from idle. It's very apparent cold, and gets quite a bit better when the motor's hot, but still noticable. The idle mix screws are dead on, and I have the timing pretty conservative for now, 5 initial, but its still there.
I've heard not to mess with the metering rods, and I hate to say, when I first got the carb, I played with the sping loaded screw at the top of the carb, which I have since learned is the piston assembly for the metering rods, and probably is my undoing, (why did I have to touch it!!!). This carb came from DEMON SIZZLER, very fine work by the way, so it's mechanically sound and all.

Anyways, if the problem is the metering rod adjustment, (I'm a newbie at carbs in case you havent noticed), how can I set it back to the right stage.

Thanks
Old 10-28-2003, 02:56 AM

The best person to talk to about TQs is they same guy that you bought it from. Give him a call or drop him an email. Tell him what's going on and he will point you in the right direction.
Old 10-28-2003, 10:39 AM
Inactive User

Warranty! Sounds like the jet wells are leaking down over night. Just for checking it out pour some gas or alcohol down the primaries when it is cold. If it fires right away I would suspect the wells. It will cause it to run rich no matter what rods/ jets etc you run. I disassembled mine scraped the jet wells put in some JB Quick Weld and put it back together. I cured that problem. I had to prime it every morning to get it to start! A PITA with a van!!