Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Diesel & Turbo Diesel Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-28-2003, 10:31 PM
Inactive User

Default Diesel hi-po boxes?

I've read that the horsepower increase from a box like the "Edge EZ" is rear-wheel horse, say 65hp increase and 160ft-lb increase. So does anyone have an idea what that would bring the crank horsepower up to???? A stock cummins 5.9 is around 215, so does the box bring it near 300 hp????
Old 11-11-2003, 10:15 PM
Inactive User

First of all the comp boxes only work on 24V's aka 1998.5-2002, I have an EZ on my truck & it is a really nice box gives a good amount of extra power all around, you would probably be n the 260hp range at the wheeles with aN ez, WITH A COMP AROUND 290-300, if you want more info go to www.dieseltruckresource.com bunch of good guys over there to answer your questions.

DRecu!
Old 02-13-2004, 05:17 PM
Inactive User

The EZ may make alot of claims,but,real world experiences on a dyno-jet shoiw that it doesn't pick up quite 65/160.I have seen EZ equipped trucks at my dyno meets do about 40hp/100tq over stock if they are well maintained by the owners.They are a nice addition to any stock truck and will give the owner a chance to really decide if they would like to go further with any more HP mods.

Now the Edge Comp...
Thats a totally different animal.It will provide enough HP/TQ gains to rattle most stock convertors apart and hurt factory clutches in the highest settings.I have seen the Comp versions lay down numbers way higher than 300HP.If you would get the Comp with the drag program where it doesn't defuel in any setting it will get higher than that.A few trucks equipped with them and a good set of HP injectors have gone easily into the 500+ HP range at my shows,many in the 400-500 hp range.One thing to remeber though when installing a comp box is that if installed and you do not follow the instructions on how to let the ECM learn the Comp settings you WILL loose a VP44 quickly.Most owners do not have the paitence to let them learn and end up having to replace a VP.The standard statement with the Comp version amongst all the owners is this,If the VP lives beyond a day or 2 it will be ok after a comp box install.Remember to have your fuel system checked for pressure before adding the comp to see if you need any updates to it as the Comp version is very demanding.

One thing you need to understand is this when going into bigger fueling boxes and other HP mods,that when you upgrade engine performance you will NEED to upgrade the driveline parts.Remember gauges first then build as you see fit........BRM
Old 02-21-2004, 10:16 PM
Inactive User

I run a EZ on my 01 CTD plus have the turbo wastegate restricted to not open until 28 lb of boost. It's my opinion that any upgrade beyond this in a towing application should have the trans/converter upgraded first. The ez works great for what I do and has added some good drivability in the lower rpm ranges.
Old 02-22-2004, 08:23 AM
Inactive User

has anyone run their trucks in the 1/4 mile? If so,what are your times and stats? And what did you do to get it there?
I have seen the white CTD 4x4 on the net get crazzzzy 11 second times, but I don't know what was done to that truck to get it like that.
Old 02-25-2004, 07:03 PM
Inactive User

if its the truck im thinking of it belongs to keith locklier of diesel dynamics in las vegas. Im not sure of all the mods but if I remember right your talking about nos, milled and O-ringed heads, amongst many other things. I agree that anyone looking at performance for a CTD needs to start with guages then go from there. A good rule of thum is 1350 degrees EGT under full throttle. Just becouse they sell the box doesnt mean you wont hurt your truck with it.