Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-29-2003, 11:56 PM
Inactive User

Question Mopar Head Porting template kit

O.K., so I got a real good deal on the Mopar head porting template kit and now I want to port a set of 596 heads. The template, part# P4876412, says that it is for the cast iron 360 swirl port heads, P459269, P5249767, P5249574 or 308 and 576 castings; they will not work on any other cylinder head, cast iron or aluminum. This porting template package is based on stock 3/8" valve stems and the stock HP 340/360 valve sizes of 1.88" intake and 1.60 exhaust.
I thought that this was good for the 2.02" intakes and the template could be used on the 596 heads. Anyone have any experience with this?
What is the difference in the "swirl port heads", did they move the water jacket around and could you maybe cut into it with these templates if used on a different head?
Old 10-30-2003, 02:57 AM
Inactive User

I have a set of 308 swirl port heads. I haven't looked at them in a while, but I will have a look tomorrow night and add to this if someone else has not answered. The exhaust port is the main difference as it has a very nice short side radius, no dogleg like the older LA castings. The exhaust port looks alot like the magnum one. The intake looked slightly taller but similar to the old one, but there must be some swirl to it as well. I am thinking that the water jackets are moved and I would be very careful when using the "incorrect" templates.

Just a suggestion but why don't you look for a set of 308's. The exhaust port is much better. There were used on 89-91 360's in trucks and vans. Should be redily available at the auto wrecker. I'm sure there are a few trucks at the wrecker here. Watch for cracking between the intake and exhaust valves.

Another option is the magnum heads (but I am guessing that your pistons in your engine are higher than the deck, so the magnums would not work). The magnums have 5/16" valve stems, 1.6 rockers, closed chambers 62 cc, and nice porting. Plus there is a porting kit available. Get spring from MP and retainers from a 2.2litre and you are in business. Oh yeah just about forgot, you will need to redrill the heads to fit your intake. I have a jig for this.

PS. got much snow down "south"? Lots here.
Old 10-30-2003, 10:26 PM
Inactive User

I tried to find some 308 heads at a lot of auto wreckers and nobody has any. If you have a contact where you are, could you please ask them if they have any 308 heads. We got some snow, about an inch or so but the winds are fierce and it is very cold. It will be -15 tonight for sure. Winter hit us with a bang, no subtle touch there. It should be good for sleddin' where you are, aren't there a lot of trails that are in your area? I sure hope that somebody has tried the templates on a 596 head and had good results. If not, I still can use them as a guide and just be very careful and try not to break through the water jackets. I may even get a head from the wreckers or a machine shop that is cracked and practise on it, then it won't matter if I ruin it. I would like to try the magnums but I think that I should stay with the regular type heads, my pistons are .016 out of the hole and I really don't want to have to change a bunch of other components. Are your 308's for sale?
Old 10-31-2003, 02:10 AM
Inactive User

I plan to keep the 308's, I am putting together another 340 and these will go on it. I will check the wrecker for some 308's. I need to go there and pick up a set of magnum heads on a burned up Dakota he has been saving for me. Any idea how to identify an 88-91 dodge truck or van by the VIN? This is how I will find them.

It seems darn cold up here, the snow caught me by surprise. My sled is still put away. There not quite enough snow yet to go, but there will be soon.
Old 11-01-2003, 10:57 AM
Inactive User

No idea how to identify the 89 - 91 van. I tried a dozen or so wreckers in the Edmonton area and they even did a parts search to find some 308 heads. One wrecker in Kelowna showed up as having some 360 heads and I called him and he went out and looked at the van 360 and couldn't find a casting number on the head. He took the valve cover off and the rocker shaft and still no number. Just the 360 embossed in it and the "clock" and a number 25. I said then it must not be a 308 head. These heads are extrmely rare and even Canadian Core Supply out of Edmonton could not provide me with some. The 576 head will work just as good, so if you get a line on those I would sure appreciate it. For now, I am taking my chances on the 596 heads, what the heck, they didn't cost me more than $50.00 to start with.
I know that there is someone out there with a burned out 89 - 91 truck that doesn't know about the 308 heads and are probably sitting on them.