Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Polls Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

View Poll Results: Should car-show entrants be charged?
No, I've already spent enough money. 14 26.92%
Only if there is a sizeable prize at stake. 29 55.77%
How else would you pay Spider-man to show up? 5 9.62%
I'll pay anything, just let me show my car. 4 7.69%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-30-2003, 02:33 AM
Inactive User

Default Do Car-Show promoters take an unfair advantage of car owners?

I love car shows. I love going to car shows and I love entering my cars and showing them off to the world. However, as a musician, I spend a lot of time practicing my craft and I spend a lot of money buying gear. When I land a gig to play I get $200 a night or better. Thats the payoff for all the years of hard work and dedication. But when it come to car shows, I have to PAY 10 to 25 bucks just to enter my car. WHY? So a car show promoter can make money off the spectators that came to see ... and I love this one ... my car! among others. Without the cars at the show what does the promoter have? A big empty field. SUNDAY, SUNDAY, SUNDAY Come one, Come all and pay $5 to see a big empty field.
But we continue to pay it. Why? Vanity, I guess. It seems to me that the more cars that enter the show the bigger the show will get, more people will attend and the promoter should in turn, still make money. I attend the James Dean Cruise every year in Fairmont IN. and there is never even an entrance fee. Cool, huh?There is however, one show here in the midwest that really gets my dander up. It's a show that allows you to enter judged or non-judged (no possibility of a trophy) but you still have to pay $10 so they can charge the spectators $5 to see your car. Tell me what you think about these con-men of vanity.
Old 10-30-2003, 03:39 AM
Inactive User

Isn't the entre fee for a spot of land? I'd pay good money to see a field full of Mopars, nothing like that down here, maybe 5 Mopars at the most at one venue Having never been to a proper car show I would guess the promoters would use the money to replace the money spent on promotional and organisation costs and for the hiring of the field or arena, in saying that I don't know how big-a-show where talking about so I don't know if sponsers are involved.....anyway thats my 00.02
Old 10-30-2003, 01:12 PM
Banned

Our Club, The Music City Mopar Club, has a show that averages around 1 to 200 cars every year. It cost the entrants 20 to enter and 15 in advance.And vendors pay to rent a spce. The money goes to rent the park and pay for all of the trophies and all of the hand outs the entrants get in there goody bags. We also get sponsors that help pay for trophies and I pay 25 a year for membership that gos for that too. We have around 25 clases with a minumum 3 trophies each class and they are exspensive to pay for. Plus some times classes are so big the split them and give out 6 per class. Plus we have an mc for music and announcements during the day and a band after the first mights show. We also feed the entrant and his whole fammily or friends that come with him and help show his car.

For 20 dollars or 45 in my case, it's wll worth it. Not to mention the door prizes given away. Plus any moeny we have left over goes to charity at the end of the rear. I think we gave around 1500 to Second Harvest Food bank last year so they could buy food for the needy for Christmas. We also do not charge for you to come out and look or to park your car near the show for it to be seen. Only for judging and dinner are you charged.

Others might not do like we do, but it's hard to beat our club and what we give everyone and none of us get paid for doing it either.

Check out www.musiccitymoparclub.com
Old 10-30-2003, 04:36 PM
Inactive User

the tradex show in abbotsford requires an entry fee ($18 I think) because they have limited space and want to make sure all the registered cars show. However when you arrive at the show you get 2 free passes for both days ($8 each) and a cheque for your entry fee back. (as long as you registered as an early bird). The show is usually well organized and the entry fee keeps the calibre of vehicle decent. ever go to a free show and shine and notice how many people are bitching about the condition of the cars? People have to realize that spectators wont pay to go to a show if they dont expect to see good cars. Personally I can appreciate the beauty in almost any older vehicle and am impressed by anyone who makes the effort, but Joe Blow paying an $8 gate wants to see Hemi's and superchargers.
Julian
Old 10-30-2003, 05:17 PM
Inactive User

Some of the bigger car shows have an entrance fee. That is when there are a lot of vendors, swap meet people and food. The local car shows that we have here in Florida are no chage to enter. If you want your car to be judged it can be anywhere from 5 to 20 dollars depending on the show. I very rarely enter my car anymore. I just go and sit next to my car and visit with my friends. I am going to Garlits this weekend and I will pay to get in. I am not taking my car but my van because i hope to score some parts. The fee isnt to bad, and no where else around here can you find an all Mopar show of this size with swap meet people. If you dont want to pay to take your car then simply dont go. Sometimes the price can be quite high.
Old 11-05-2003, 11:33 PM
Inactive User

Here in Nova Scotia Can. there are only one or two shows that charge us a fee to show our cars , at all the rest of them they ask for a donation when we register our car they give the money to chairties in their area . There is one two day show here that has over 600 cars arrive for each day of the show and all of the give away's are donated by local people ( they give away TV's and car stereo's ! ) and it's held at an old army base's airfeild . Our own club the Annapolis Valley Cruisers does two shows a season and we get all the trophys and give away's donated it's a lot of work but we raise some money for the local charties and there are some real nice cars here in our valley area , and some people will drop from $5 to $20.00 in the donation jar. some of the club members sell 50/50 tickets during the show and that money is used for the club expence's
Old 11-11-2003, 11:58 AM
Inactive User

alot of cars show i go to , if there is an entrance fee, it usually goes to pay for something, or a charity. as long as they dont charge alot of money.(say less than 20-30 dollars) i see nothing wrong with it.
Old 11-21-2003, 03:28 PM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

I was involved with a car club and helped organize events for many years. No one makes any money from a car show and all our labor was donated to the club. Entry fees go towards operating expenses, such as permits, equipment rental, dozens of unexpected expenses and to buy trophies and prizes for the entrants. Any money left over went to buy groceries for the needy during the holidays.

Some shows didn't even make enough to pay for the trophies if the weather was bad. That made no difference to the trophy company...we just paid the bill and sometimes it meant the club officers had to chip in to cover expenses.

I quickly learned that the biggest whiners about prices charged at shows did nothing to promote or support the club. They showed up and began to complain immediately about class assignment, parking, prizes and the way everything was run in general.

There is a simple solution to high entry fees...don't attend. Park your car on the street and let everyone who walks by admire your work. In most cases and though they won't say it, the organizers will appreciate your decision. It's a consumer's market.
Old 11-21-2003, 04:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by dwc43

Our Club, The Music City Mopar Club, has a show that averages around 1 to 200 cars every year.

THAT is a heckeva' spread !! LOL

Just say NO..........some of these "promoters" are getting FILTHY rich doing this.

Can you imagine a NFL football player PAYING to play ?? !!
Old 11-23-2003, 08:44 PM
Inactive User

Unhappy

You know What I wished I wished either I didn't vote Or just voted to just let me show my car!

I mean the money thing is getting to be a drag

Just my .02

Winston
Old 11-23-2003, 09:24 PM
Inactive User

Default as a former promoter

You got to concider the price of trophies ,rent for the grounds,insurance cost when you have to carry a million dollar policy on spectator and accident,in which it is hard to get sponsors to cover everything you have to cover. Advertising is costly also ,you've got to give some thought to this.I've worked on my own and with a club.You don't realize how much time and money is involved as an particapant. Plus there are other hidden costs that do pop up.. I only charge $7 per car for a show . If you don't like to pay to go a show .Go to some the free shows to show your car,and they can be fun also,but there are no trophies or dash plates ,etc. I also show my car ,I just go for a good time.
Old 12-04-2003, 02:13 AM
Inactive User

Default Car show

I am President of Beartooth Mopar. I just finished collecting all the invoices for our 2003 show. It was a one day show with a poker run the night before. There were 149 entries and uncounted spectators (free), 75 throphies, 27 winners jackets, T-shirts and dash plaques, and a whole lot of door prizes for the entrants. Here's a ruff list of our costs to put the show on:
insurance (don't ask), flyers/mailing list $1000, T-shirts,dash plaques, goodie bags, throphies, door prizes $5500. As you can see it's not cheap. We are a non-profit org. and any monies in the black get donated to other non-profit orgs.
I enter 6 to 7 shows a year. Some I win, most I just show. It's nice to hear remember when or geart looking car. Have you ever tried to stop a moving classic/hot rod just to look it over?
We are not promoters, we provide a place and other things to show the public our cars in a safe manner with pride.

remember don't crush them............restore them
Old 12-04-2003, 03:01 AM
Banned

Question

???????

So Sparki........at a 43$ entry fee per car and figuring zero insurance cost .....you guyz didn't make a dime ?

WOW
Old 12-04-2003, 01:04 PM
Inactive User

Remember we are not out to turn a profit! We have enought in the bank and with our hard working members and local sponsors are going for our 4th annual show. Which by the way is June 18-19 in Billings, MT. All makes are welcome. Couldn't pass up the opportunity for the plug.. Yes, we do have an entry fee.

Show your car with pride. Why spent so much money and countless hours of labor to keep it garaged?

Ray

Beartooth Mopar

Don't crush them.......restore them
Old 12-13-2003, 07:25 PM

Who pays money to go to a car show anyway? They are all free around here. Imagine CPW who puts on Spring Fling in So. Cal charging admission. What a crock! They get their money from vendors and swappers spaces and concessions. Sure there are a few trophys and some raffles, but the prizes are usually donated anyway. Pay to get into a car show? No way! I get queezy shelling out 8 bucks to get into Pomona swap meet after 5 bucks parking and 7 buck beers just to see 3 out of about 700 vendor/swappers selling Mopar parts. CPW, keep up the good work!!!