Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Car Audio Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-03-2003, 04:31 AM

Question What guage speaker wire?. .........

I was wondering what size speaker wire I should use for my midrange speakers and tweeters. I have 3 1/2 tweeters up front, 6 1/2 in the doors, and 5x7 in the back. The 3 1/2 tweeters are connected to the 6 1/2 in the doors. The speakers were upgraded in the past and I used the speaker wire that came with the new speakers. I plan on upgradeing them again in the future and was wondering if I should use the wire that comes with my new speakers or get a bigger guage wire?

The type of system set up I have is from the:

HEAD UNIT to the

EQ to the

AMP to the speakers

P.S. I have RCA cables from my head unit to the EQ and then RCA cables from my EQ to my amp and then speaker wire to the speakers.
Old 11-03-2003, 04:39 AM
Inactive User

are you running an amp to the mids and tweets? if so the biggest you should go with speaker wire is one guage smaller than your power.. such as if your power is an 8 guage wire the biggest you should run is a 6g wire. but anything will work fine as long as its a good quality wire
Old 11-03-2003, 04:48 AM
Inactive User

oops i said that wrong. if your power is a 8g wire then the biggest you should run for speakers is a 10guage...
Old 11-03-2003, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pootus
are you running an amp to the mids and tweets? if so the biggest you should go with speaker wire is one guage smaller than your power.. such as if your power is an 8 guage wire the biggest you should run is a 6g wire. but anything will work fine as long as its a good quality wire
I am not sure it is good quality wire or not. It is what came with the speakers. I am not sure if the manufactor of the speakers planned on the purchaser useing an amp when they chose the wire they chose.
Old 11-03-2003, 05:22 AM
Inactive User

what kind of speakers are they? also the supplied wire usually isnt that great. if you are really worried about sound go to a stereo shop and get some good wire. but if you are just gonna listen to it and not hook up a earth shaking system it doesnt really matter
Old 11-03-2003, 05:43 AM

Quote:
oops i said that wrong. if your power is a 8g wire then the biggest you should run for speakers is a 10guage...
I do that all the time. It gets confuseing especialy when you try to remember what number means what when chooseing different heat ranges of different brands of spark plugs, then piston size, then underdrive pulleys, then intake size, then carb size, then throttle body size, then fuel injector size, then small block engines, then big blocks, and then eletrical wire size, then speaker guage wire, then shot gun guages, then rifle size, then Harleys, then 2 stroke dirt bikes, then 4 stroke dirt bikes, then 2 stroke 4 wheelers, then 4 stroke 4 wheelers, and then remembering the difference between 4 and 2 stroke, then carb size on those, then jet needle size on those, and jet needle size on Harleys. Down right crazy is'nt it. In other words I know exactly what you are talking about.

Oh I forgot to mention I have kids also.
Old 11-03-2003, 05:49 AM
Inactive User

stupid confusing things... like everything you just said confused the hell out of me. but eh thats not a hard thing to do. its alot easier to remember as you do than it is to tell.
Old 11-03-2003, 06:13 AM

Quote:
what kind of speakers are they? also the supplied wire usually isnt that great. if you are really worried about sound go to a stereo shop and get some good wire. but if you are just gonna listen to it and not hook up a earth shaking system it doesnt really matter
They are different brands, lets see,
the 3 1/2 tweeters are Blaupunkt, the 6 1/2 in the doors are Polk Audio, and the back are 5x7 Rockford Fosgate.
As far as a system I want a Hard Rocking, Heavy Metal, Chest Pounding, Earth Shaking, World Thumping, loud system.
Old 11-03-2003, 06:19 AM
Inactive User

are you gonna be running subwoofers? thats where all the booooom comes from. those are decent mids and stuff
Old 11-03-2003, 06:33 AM

Quote:
stupid confusing things... like everything you just said confused the hell out of me. but eh thats not a hard thing to do. its alot easier to remember as you do than it is to tell.
I forgot to mention the difference in the size of gears in the rear axels of cars, how to tell what it is by looking at it and what they mean.

It is hard to remember it all especialy when I work on more than one thing in the same day at different times going back and forth. I guess that is why I can't remember what I did yesterday, heck I can't remember people that I have spoke with before face to face. I guess my brain is just about full with information.
Just like a computer it gets full and you have to add more memory or it freezes up. But how do you add more memory to the brain?, No wait! Don't tell me! I will forget it. My brain is too full. It may freeze up.
Old 11-03-2003, 06:40 AM

Quote:
are you gonna be running subwoofers? thats where all the booooom comes from. those are decent mids and stuff
I have two 12" Cerwin Vega subs. They sound ok. They are not the problem though.

As far as the mids being decent I would like to get something better in the same size of course. But I want to make sure I get the right size wire first, then maybe some new better mids.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:40 AM
Inactive User

Wire is wire is wire, so as long as you have the proper gauge, there will be no need to upgrade the wiring. chances are, if you have 16-18 gauge wire, you are fine unless you have extremely long runs of wire, or high power available. If you are running from a HU, I see no reason to upgrade the wiring unless they used something like 22 gauge.
Old 11-04-2003, 09:07 PM

I would say there is high power and the distence is about 20+ feet.
Old 11-05-2003, 03:05 PM
Inactive User

What model number is the amp?
Old 11-25-2003, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dnewma04
What model number is the amp?
XA-4100 Jenson