Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-03-2003, 10:32 PM
Inactive User

Default Crankshafts

Ok got another dumb question..
Are 440 and 413 crank counterweights the same size?
In my BB Performance book they talk about grinding the block or machineing the counterweights the let the crank fit in the block..
Ok so I have my crank welded and ground and balanced..Set it in the block and nothing really seems to interfere except on little spot where a counterweight barely sideswipes the block..Which can easily be cleaned up..Nothing like they show in the book..
Now I do realize the BME's might hit and the block needs to be ground for those..But I was just wondering if the 440 has a bigger counterweight than the 413..Motorhome crank by the way..Another person told me the crank was longer but I measured my 400 crank next the the 413 crank and they are almost identical in length..The guy was saying the motorhome crank was 1/8" longer but the crank he has is out of a 62 motorhome..
Any suggestions?
As always thanks for the help
Old 11-03-2003, 11:36 PM
Inactive User

The counter weights could have been shaved during a balance at some point over the cranks life.

The 62 crank may have been the 8 bolt flange unit, which would explain some of the differences.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:55 PM
Inactive User

Well it was the original crank out of the motor home..Oh well Ill make sure everything clears when I send it out to be machined..
They did a great job..and got me some rod bearings but I cant use them cuz they dont have the doll pin holes that are required for the BME's..Im not gonna rick drilling them Ill let them figure that out..I paid them 55 bux for them so hopefully they figure out what to do...
Old 11-04-2003, 09:48 PM
Inactive User

Engines mounted ahead of cast iron torqueflites had a longer crank at the rear flange, also had an eight bolt flange. But all eight bolt flanges were not the long crank. Changes occured somewhere around '61-'62,back when I was dumb and drove=pushed F--- you know.
Old 11-04-2003, 11:36 PM
Inactive User

Thats what I was thinking..I guess until I put the main bearings and rod assemblies in I wont know exactly needs to be done to the crank..I just thought the way they were talking the counterweights were huge compared to a 400.. But I looked at the 400 crank and it looks bigger that the 413 crank..LOL..Ill measure the counterweights..I have lots goin on at one time so I stay pretty busy..Im trying to stay as involved in this Race car build up as possible..