Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 08:36 PM
Inactive User

Default Noisy hydraulic lifters??

What would cause hydraulic lifters to be noisy? I have good oil pressure with 10w 30 Mobil 1 synthetic oil. It is a 383 with stock (?) bearing clearances.

Please help
Old 11-06-2003, 08:40 PM
Inactive User

Will need a little more info. How many miles on the engine? Is it a fresh rebuild? Has anything been changed just before you noticed the noise? Is the noise coming from one or more lifters? Did the noise come on slowly or all of a sudden?
Old 11-06-2003, 11:28 PM
Inactive User

The engine has about 1200 miles on it. I can't pin point the noise so I'm not sure that it is the lifters, but that is what some people have suggested it is. I started noticing it after I put on new exhaust manifolds to replace my leaking headers. I don't know if it started then or if I just started hearing it then. I wish I could describe the noise, but I don't know how.

Thanks
Old 11-07-2003, 12:12 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by Walter Fisher
The engine has about 1200 miles on it. I can't pin point the noise so I'm not sure that it is the lifters, but that is what some people have suggested it is. I started noticing it after I put on new exhaust manifolds to replace my leaking headers. I don't know if it started then or if I just started hearing it then. I wish I could describe the noise, but I don't know how.

Thanks
From the above I'll bet you have an exhaust leak, they can mimick a lifter clater
Old 11-07-2003, 01:01 PM

Isolate where the noise is coming from using a 3' chunk of 1/4' or so rubber hose. Put one end near your ear and move the other end around the headder flange/head, you will be able to tell if you have an exhaust leak and where it is comming from.

Good Luck
Old 11-07-2003, 03:53 PM
Inactive User

Default Test

Hey Walter...
I have the same problem on my 383. Save yourself the money that I already spent (New roller rockers, shafts, custom pushrods). Pull a valve cover and have a look at the baffle under the PCV valve. If you see some marking, there's your tick. I had stock stamped steel rockers that hit the valve covers. I never looked UNDER the valve covers to see if the rockers were hitting. You may want to try 3/16" valve cover gaskets and see if this works.

I haven't made mine quiet yet... that's next spring. I pulled the whole shootin match to have some hocus-pocus done to the heads.

Good Luck!
Ryan
Old 11-07-2003, 11:56 PM
Inactive User

I have lifter noise on the passenger side. Tried all the additive remedies, the only thing that has any lasting effect is turning the stereo up a few notches I don't want to change them since I have another motor waiting to go in.
Old 11-08-2003, 12:45 AM
Inactive User

Smile

My tick,tick, ticking turned out to be leaky header gaskets. Installed Ultra Seals and all quiet for now.
Old 11-08-2003, 05:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Walter Fisher

Thanks
If it's got a new cam and lifters it's most likely the lifters. Too much chineese junk floating around on the market today. Get you a new set of high quality lifters.
Old 11-09-2003, 11:37 AM
Banned

Bring the engine to TDC and check #2 Intake and #8 exhaust pushrod for correct preload (.030 to .050) If they're loose or tight then you have changed enough to need a longer or shorter pushrod.

All of all this ticking lifter stuff is a direct result of poor machine work or poor assembly. A properly machined and assembled Mopar will not have ticking lifters.

I get at 2-3 calls a week from members here and from the other two major boards with the same problems all with the same causes, most can be cured with the correct pushrod but some need to have the heads removed and correct maching performed to level the valve tips and then reset the geometry with shims under the shafts.
Old 11-09-2003, 01:54 PM
Inactive User

I have a set of Mopar performance lifters waiting to go in my project motor (magnum 360) and was considering the "nascar hardened" pushrods from KRC performance.
http://www.krcperformance.com/newcon...rpushrods.html
They should solve any issues with wear, and hopefully I won't get any tick.
Old 11-09-2003, 06:49 PM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

My almost stock 361 also does that. The only internal mod is a mild Isky RV cam, but it has galloping, random lifter clatter that jumps around every cylinder. Prior to changing the cam, it made no noise at all..

I tried 3 sets of lifters (American made), two sets of pushrods and have had numerous Mopar "experts" check it out. The concensus is that it's the shape of the ramp on the cam causing the problem. I don't know if "they" are correct or not, but I'm not spending any more time or money, because the noise is only noticeable at idle and everything runs fine. If it breaks, I'll fix it.
Old 11-11-2003, 01:38 AM
Banned

"Mopar "experts" check it out"
Bring it by I'll fix it...LOL

2 sets of pushrods? What length?

Did you try a set of +.030's?

Did anyone check the preload and measure for the correct pusrod length?

No matter how hard these Chevy cam grinders try and screw up our Mopars I think I can fix most of the F***kup's....
Closed Thread