Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-07-2003, 03:00 PM
Inactive User

Default great crate debate continued

Ok, it's my turn!

Read page 10 of the january 2004 Mopar Muscle magazine..

Stock 360/380 crate bottom end, untouched, running reliable 650HP 8.90 super comp class with alcohol!

Incredible, this motor has been raced in this configuration for over a year, with no teardowns!
Old 11-07-2003, 04:13 PM

It's a MOPAR PErformance sponsered vehicle. You don't think that maybe MP went through the engine with a fine tooth comb, to make sure that it met all specs, before giving it to them??

Just because he never touched the bottom end doesn't mean that MP didn't, before giving it to him.
Old 11-08-2003, 12:19 AM
Inactive User

OK, given even that, who would have expected the thing to have that kind of strength..after all, it's a cast, not forged, crank...
Old 11-08-2003, 09:20 AM
Inactive User

Stranger things have happened, I once heard a phord out ran a MOPAR
Old 11-08-2003, 10:41 AM
Inactive User

You bet your life they tore into that crate motor.If I bought one from mother Mopar,I would definately ck all torques and even blueprint it for my own piece of mine.Rememember these motors are made in Mexico like the new 5.7 Hemi,Its a sore subject with me that Chrysler cant even produce the next generaton small block in the USA.
And I have had my 2003 Hemi Ram in for service 3 times for stupid quality control problems.Love the truck,but drivabilitie problems with the PMC needs to be addressed.
Old 11-08-2003, 10:47 AM
Inactive User

Yeah, Car companies are known for putting "extra touches" on special cars/engines (ie, the 1st run media cars, that would be given to the car magazines for testdrives/reviews, its a well known fact that they often had 'lighter' engine components, and better suspension bushings/etc. ) Now its not too say that it isn't possible to make a 4bolt main on a 360 capable of 650hp, but im sure there was some sort of prepping done; i doubt the stock studs can handle that sorta power, you'd need an ARP studkit or something, with threadlock.
Old 11-08-2003, 06:25 PM
Banned

Awhile ago I critisized MM and the "god" Dulich about glorifying all the MP crates. I wanted to know why MM just published all the glorified stuff about crates and not some of the problems with these things. According to Dulich, he never heard of anyone having problems... ......hmmmmm
Old 11-08-2003, 09:01 PM

Actually, he stated that he's heard all of the problems, howewver, they have never had any problems with the crates.

Keep in mind, in order to use MOPAR in the name of the magazine, they have to be licensed by DC. If they started bad mouthing the MP crates, DC may not let them use the MOPAR name...
Old 11-08-2003, 10:22 PM
Banned

"Frankly, the smallblock crates ive tested had no problems, so i dont buy the BS your slinging"...Dulich
MM glorifies the crates and Dulich is in their pocket. All I wanted to know was why not do an article on some of the problems with crates, and how to rectify them. No way...they dont exist!...I guess i'll just look at the pictures and treat it like a Mad magazine..
Old 11-08-2003, 11:24 PM
Inactive User

BFD if the crates or the 5.7 aren't made in the USA. The Toluca plant where the 5.7 is made is the newest state of the art engine plant Chrysler has. Manufacturing jobs do not pay well and the typical American won't do that type of labor so what in the heck is Chrysler to do about it? I would be willing to bet that this "loss of jobs" hasn't affected anyone you or I know. If you want to bitch about prices and quality control you can't have it both ways. Granted I think the prices on the crates are a bit high, but where else are you going to get one?