Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-07-2003, 08:20 PM
Inactive User

Help Want to rebuild my 440

I want to build a strong streetable big block that I will hope to make between 575- 600 hp normally asperated. I'm starting with an unmolested '67 440 block & would like to know if I should go with a stroker kit or what. I've got an 850 Demon, 1 7/8''Hookers 2800 stall convertor on a 727 Trans built up very strong. Also have 3.91 gears in an 8 3/4 set up. any help would be appreciatted
Old 11-07-2003, 08:34 PM
Inactive User

What does your buget look like?
Ok first take the block and get it all checked out. If you have a forged crank and it checks out, run it.
For the steet and longjevity get new rods. Get a light weight piston. Build it right the first time, trust me new rods and good light pistons now will save you money in the long run, because you will want them down the road and the piece of mind on the rods is good! Balance if you verter will let you. Get a good head Eddy, Bulldog (if they turn out to be good) or a Indy SR. You can run iron heads but the aluminum will give you better flow and more comp. on pump gas. Next A good set of noddular rockers. Don't waste the cash on alum rollers. Get a low deration cam with about 500 to 550 lift. Your gear and verter will limit your choises.Call on the cam I not a cam guy. This is where I would sell the Demon and get a EFI if you can swing it. But if the money is not there get a good dual plain high rise.
As for the stroker do the same as above. Just about a grand more and you might need to put new caps on the mains. Porting of the heads will be good in both cases but just remember there is no need to port to the max if you cant lift to that point. Make your combo, stroked or not, smooth it sould all be on the same plain no one part bigger or lees than the other, thats the trick.