Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-08-2003, 01:51 PM
Inactive User

Default Clamp-on spring perches/pads?

I have seen these on the internet and don't like the idea of drilling and tapping a hole in the axle tube, which they say is needed. I suppose if you are racing, that needs to be done, but for just normal driving, and the occasional street antics, the clamping pressure should be enough to hold it in place.
I am preparing an axle for the NEXT BIG PROJECT and want to get it all done up front (this time).
Has anybody ever done this and can offer input?
BTW, I won't be buying the ones on the internet, I will be making them, and they will be stouter than stout....
Old 11-08-2003, 04:25 PM
Banned

We sell and use them on our race cars too. You nee to either weld them on or drill and tap the tubes like they sugest. The axle mount is under tremendous load on even a street car. That's why all stock cars from teh factory use the spring bolt to center the axle on to help prevent movement. During take off the axle rotates up and it rotates down on even the slightest amount of braking. The leaf springs will wind up and snatch the axle back into place at some point during rotation in either direction therefore they bolt on brackets need to be drilled and tapped or welded to the axle. If you like I can send you a price and a pic of ours when I get back home latter. E mail me at ********************