Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-15-2003, 02:38 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up Edelbrock Magnum heads!

Does anyone have anymore info on the New Al Magnum heads? Roger?

Thanks
Jeremy
Old 11-15-2003, 05:15 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

They look good. If they hold the same improvment over the stock heads like the old style does, we have a nice new treat on hand.
Old 11-17-2003, 12:30 PM
Inactive User

Yep...new Magnum aluminum cylinder heads. For 92+ 5.2L and 93+ 5.9L Magnum engines....or any older LA engine, since the head bolt pattern is the same.

PN 61779 (complete) 61769 (bare)
180cc intake port
75cc exhaust port
58cc combustion chamber
2.02" intake valve
1.60" exhaust valve

Also the new 7577 magnum Air-Gap intake manifold with 4-barrel carb.

No power number yet available, or flow numbers since the sample castings were barely done in time for the SEMA show. Should be coming soon! And hopefully the first production run will be very early '04.

No Magnum EFI manifold available as of yet. I imgaine it will be coming soon!
Old 11-17-2003, 03:29 PM
Inactive User

Hi Roger,

Is there any prospect of a Pro-Flo EFI for Magnums engines now Edelbrock are moving in this direction?

Thanks.
Old 11-17-2003, 04:36 PM
Inactive User

I would hope for an upgrade to the stock intake, kind of like the 5.0 intakes Edelbrock offers over the stock peice.
Old 11-17-2003, 05:45 PM
Inactive User

Magnum Pro-Flo's....phew...I am not sure about that! I'm having a hard time convincing them to make the one for 383 engines! Time will tell, since the Magnum product line is just starting up.

I think an upgraded stock magnum intake wont take long to come out, since I am sure we will be getting a lot of requests for them once the heads are out.
Old 11-18-2003, 04:56 AM
Inactive User

Hey Roger any word on prices assembeled and bare.Also any flow numers for these heads. thanks for any info

DEPUTY
Old 11-18-2003, 12:26 PM
Inactive User

No, no prices or flow numbers yet. They will be flowed soon since the first sample castings barely got done before the SEMA show. Coming soon.
Old 11-20-2003, 11:32 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by RogerH
No, no prices or flow numbers yet. They will be flowed soon since the first sample castings barely got done before the SEMA show. Coming soon.
hey... are these heads going to fit onto my RT, and will they work with the current mopar m-1 intake manifold and will my cam (stock)/ computer work with these heads? I will prolly put a better bumpstick in if I buy the heads. what kinda weight loss can i expect as well over the stock magnum heads?

Thanks man!
Old 11-20-2003, 11:50 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Quote:
Let me just say that I'm willing to beta test those puppies for you on a real-world application. You just let me know when the big-wigs give you the good word, and I'll arrange some back-to-back testing on a fresh 340. Should be firing up this weekend... fingers crossed...

Clair
Old 11-21-2003, 12:25 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by Mopar2You
hey... are these heads going to fit onto my RT, and will they work with the current mopar m-1 intake manifold and will my cam (stock)/ computer work with these heads? I will prolly put a better bumpstick in if I buy the heads. what kinda weight loss can i expect as well over the stock magnum heads?
Yes, they will fit your R/T! We still don't know what the ECU will do or if some retuning will be needed. We have plans to put a set of heads on a Dakota R/T in the near future and test it out. That should happen before the heads are released for production. Any intake that fits magnum heads will fit these heads. You can also expect to lighten up about 60 lbs on the front of the car/truck going with these heads.

Clair.....hehe....nice try!
Old 11-21-2003, 01:29 PM
Inactive User

Well, (thinking out loud) if the E-Mags flow appreciably more than the iron Mags, that would have an affect on the volumetric efficiency of the engine. Whether or not that would balance the compression heat lost through the aluminum I couldnÂ’t begin to say. If itÂ’s a wash, then the EÂ’s may be a good weight loss program and a stock application may not see much gain. If the increased VE far outweighs the heat lost to the coolant, there WILL be a gain, but to take full advantage of it, youÂ’d need to reprogram, in all likelihood. Unless Mopar has changed, theyÂ’re still a speed-density system, and S-D isnÂ’t very forgiving when it comes to mods that change the VE very much.
Clair

Roger, all I need is the right word in the right ear.
Old 11-25-2003, 08:26 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Yes, they will fit your R/T! We still don't know what the ECU will do or if some retuning will be needed. We have plans to put a set of heads on a Dakota R/T in the near future and test it out. That should happen before the heads are released for production. Any intake that fits magnum heads will fit these heads. You can also expect to lighten up about 60 lbs on the front of the car/truck going with these heads.

Awesome! I bet i'll be orderin some when they come out.. I'm goin for as much weight loss as possible, and the mopar aluminum heads aren't that great from what I've heard.

I'd like to get my RT to break into the high 3k range at the track, would really help my times (plus dem heads ell gimme more powa :-D ).

Any kinda etoc on dem beasties?

Wanna test em on my RT?
Old 12-16-2003, 01:05 PM
Inactive User

Speed Channel interviewed Vic. Edelbrock at SEMA
show, caught a glimpse of these heads! If the numbers are good, I'll just might have to order a set when I'm ready!
Old 12-18-2003, 03:11 PM
Inactive User

I am curious to see flow numbers on the Edelbrock Magnum heads vs. the Edelbrock LA small block heads.
If they flow better, it will really get the Magnum swaps going for the early engines too now that there is a quality, readily available, (hopefully) reasonably priced intake for Magnum heads instead of having to deal with Mopar Performance on thier stuff.
Old 12-18-2003, 10:50 PM
Inactive User

Hey Roger I have a question. With the Magnum heads and AG intake coming out, will there be a ProFlow setup available soon? I could see it as another intake option, to guys who have EFI 360s already, other then the M1 and the stock piece.
Old 12-19-2003, 12:31 AM
Inactive User

Quote:

Hey, RogerH,
I'm sure it's just an oversight, but I still haven't heard from the big wigs... I've got those old, clunky, ported iron heads working pretty sweetly on my little low-squeeze 340 now. In fact, I'm not sure there would even be any benefit to installing the aluminum Mags, BUT I'm willing to give it a go for science, and because I like you guys. (wink-wink)

Clair
Old 12-19-2003, 01:17 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by gelvik
I am curious to see flow numbers on the Edelbrock Magnum heads vs. the Edelbrock LA small block heads.
If they flow better, it will really get the Magnum swaps going for the early engines too now that there is a quality, readily available, (hopefully) reasonably priced intake for Magnum heads instead of having to deal with Mopar Performance on thier stuff.
Well, we haven't flow tested the production units yet. Initial flow testing from the design flow box showed good result.

Standard Magnum head flows 190 cfm at .550 lift
R/T head flows 220 cfm at .550 lift
Edelbrock LA heads flow 251 cfm at .600 lift

Edelbrock magnum flowbox flowed 260 cfm at .600 lift and 251 cfm at .500 lift.
Old 12-19-2003, 01:21 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by mastrdrver
will there be a ProFlow setup available soon?
Most of the Pro-Flo EFI line is on hold at the time. After the AMC ones are done, I haven't heard anything as far as what or if there will be more applications being added.

The reason being, that we are exploring new territory with our EFI product line. With the supply of ECU's for the Pro-Flo going to end sometime in the future, management is considering its options on whether to change a few components to update the product line. You've probably heard about the new Victor EFI line, the company that is making those ECU's is being considered for making an ECU to update the Pro-Flo line. Or at least, that what rumors say. Its still up in the air and nothing is final. And as usual, I am the last to know, and will most likely find out when I get a new EFI project.
Old 12-19-2003, 01:27 PM
Young Mopar Life

will these magnum heads be out within two years you think?

251 @ .500 is right up my alley! My cam is a .510 lift, and I like the power range, but the heads are holding it back.

I'm waiting to do anything with them though, cause right after my dad spent booko bucks on his big block heads, edelbrock came out with something better, cheaper, lighter.

BTW, for marketing purposes, I think you guys should put together a whole magnum conversion package. I'm guessing for the heads and intake it's gonna cost about $1600?
Old 12-19-2003, 02:45 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by Fury Boy
will these magnum heads be out within two years you think?
Should be on the shelf within six months.

We kinda do have a magnum conversion, with the heads and intake manifold. Its just running a carb instead of fuel injection.
Old 12-19-2003, 04:16 PM
Inactive User

I would be interested in a Victor EFI manifold that fits the Mag heads. I want to run EFI on my 360 buildup, but don't want to run the stock piece and want something else then the M1.
Old 12-22-2003, 12:57 PM
Inactive User

Call the Edelbrock tech line and ask for it! You voice is louder over there than asking me!
Old 12-26-2003, 05:31 PM
Inactive User

I'm down for a manifold besides the M1 also, even though IO already have the M1 4 bbl. Roger, do the Air Gaps have bosses cast into them that could be machined out for where the injectors could be installed? That might be a good alternative, it will still be a carb manifold, but for people like me (340, stroker, 416ci in a Gen 2 Dak), it can be machined to facilitate an EFI setup. What about flow numbers on the exhaust side, especially with that smaller then stock valve? Thats what I'm curious about. Thanks Roger!!

Brad
Old 12-26-2003, 06:26 PM
Inactive User

Actually, now that I look at the Edelbrock webpage I dont believe the Air Gap manifold would ever be well suited to an EFI setup because of its dual plane configuration. Correct me if I'm wrong. It would seem either the Torker or Victor series would be a better choice to modify for EFI. I think I will stick with my Mopar M1 4bbl until further notice!! He he!!
Old 12-27-2003, 11:24 AM
Inactive User

Default #7577 Manifold

Hey RogerH,

I need that manifold for a 360 Magnum I am tansplanting into my '85 Ramcharger.
I have not been able to come up with a price yet.
MP makes a Magnum carb manifold but it is a single plane with a spreadbore mount. Not at all suited for what I need.
Old 12-29-2003, 01:31 PM
Inactive User

I don't know the exhaust flow numbers right now. There aren't many people here now either, its like a ghost town between xmas and new years! I am sure its higher than the R/T head, since I don't think we'd sell a head that was shy on flow from production heads.

You are correct, a dual plane isn't ideal for EFI, I have seen it done, but its not easy as far as packaging is concerned. The EFI product line is slowing growing, and with time I am sure there will be a lot of new manifolds with injector bosses and one day be manifolds specfically meant for EFI, instead of the carb look-a-like EFI manifolds.

Cost on a 7577 manifold should be really close to the price on the 7576 manifolds since they are almost identical.
Old 01-15-2004, 01:30 PM
Inactive User

Any new news Roger??? Still interested in exhaust flow numbers, putting together a 340/416" stroker small block that will use the Edelbrock heads and its going in my Dakota and I want to start doing some cam research, so any help is appreciated. Thanks!!!

Brad
Old 01-15-2004, 02:04 PM
Inactive User

I'm guessing they're still in the works... I still haven't heard from the big wigs at EB about the testing I'm SURE they want me to do with these heads on my Valiant's 340, and I just KNOW Roger put in the good word for me... ;-)

Clair
Old 04-18-2004, 01:52 PM
Inactive User

My 3 month update!!! Roger, any new info on availability?? A friend said he saw them up close at the Gatornationals, got the flow numbers from the guy working the booth, was told late May, early June as a release date. This is what he said on flow: "The flow numers are for an assembled head (valves,springs,etc....)I/E:@.400 225/169,@.500 251/185.
the numbers for a bare head are @.400 254/188 @.500 278/206" Real close to KRC street ported R/T heads. With some porting they may out do Martys race port jobs???? What are the heads flowed at 25 or 28 inHg?? Thanks Roger!!