Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-17-2003, 12:51 AM
Inactive User

Default crate motors

Hi, it is my first post and it may have been answered previously. I am in the procees of building a 65 Belvedere 1. A 440 will fill the space between the wheels. Does anyone have experience with the mopar crate 440's or 500? I am looking to obtain a low 12 high 11 at 770' with a combination that will be streetable on pump gas. Being able to street drive it is very important. It appears there are some very informed individuals here. I would appreciate any feedback you can provide. Thanx.
Old 11-17-2003, 02:06 AM
Inactive User

Default Re: crate motors

Quote:
Originally posted by sox and martin
Hi, it is my first post and it may have been answered previously. I am in the procees of building a 65 Belvedere 1. A 440 will fill the space between the wheels. Does anyone have experience with the mopar crate 440's or 500? I am looking to obtain a low 12 high 11 at 770' with a combination that will be streetable on pump gas. Being able to street drive it is very important. It appears there are some very informed individuals here. I would appreciate any feedback you can provide. Thanx.
No experience with a create motor but I put a 440 in my 65 ply. It's probably common sense but thought that I would share with you that headers and some other parts from a 66 and newer ply will not work.

Are you installing an automatic or clutch? I have a new set of super stock springs and hangers that you can have for 60 cents on the dollar. Stickers are still on them.
Old 11-17-2003, 08:19 AM
Inactive User

I will be using an automatic. I was wondering about headers. What did you end up using fo exhaust? The only thing I do not like about super stock sprimgs is they tend to keep the rear of the car too high. I will give them some thought though. Thanks for the offer.
Old 11-17-2003, 06:40 PM
Inactive User

have a 67 satellite
3750 w/o me in it
69 440, 452 heads lightly ported/polished, stock rockers, 9.8:1 comp mopar .509 cam m1 intake 830 holley annular discharge stock rods, crank, trw pistons, 3500 stall converter 4.10 gears 28x9 inch slick 3 inch exhaust with 1 7/8 headers and cross over with hooker aerochambers ran 12.67 @ 109 mph through the exhaust at 2800ft elevation. car is very streetable and driven every weekend and would be 12.00 car at sea level.
much cheaper than crate motor.

remember, the more cubic inches, the more power the motor makes while also seeming milder.
Old 11-17-2003, 07:01 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
I will be using an automatic. I was wondering about headers. What did you end up using fo exhaust? The only thing I do not like about super stock sprimgs is they tend to keep the rear of the car too high. I will give them some thought though. Thanks for the offer.
I agree with the springs making the car sit to high. I wish that I would have done some more research before purchasing them. After installing them, I removed them for a set of ladder bars. The car has a 1" rake and sits nice.

The headers I used are headman. 2 1/4 tubes with a 3 1/2 colletors. The INDY rep said that they have a relationship with headmen to make the headers for INDY heads. The look the same as the Hooker super comp. One of the tubes rap around the frame. Although I have not started the engine yet, common sense tells me that they would leak too much for a daily driver. I think that you'll be able to pick up a set fairly easy. However be sure that you specify 65.

A long time ago I put a set of hookers on from a 65 ply. They bolted right up but when I tried to turn the wheells the tie rods hit the headers
Old 11-17-2003, 07:01 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
I agree with the springs making the car sit to high. I wish that I would have done some more research before purchasing them. After installing them, I removed them for a set of ladder bars. The car has a 1" rake and sits nice.

The headers I used are headman. 2 1/4 tubes with a 3 1/2 colletors. The INDY rep said that they have a relationship with headmen to make the headers for INDY heads. The look the same as the Hooker super comp. One of the tubes rap around the frame. Although I have not started the engine yet, common sense tells me that they would leak too much for a daily driver. I think that you'll be able to pick up a set fairly easy. However be sure that you specify 65.

A long time ago I put a set of hookers on from a 65 ply. They bolted right up but when I tried to turn the wheells the tie rods hit the headers