Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-19-2003, 07:07 PM
Inactive User

Default New Mallory Distributors

We are now shipping two new models of distributor to fit the Mopar V8.

The 32 Series feature a billet housing, ball bearing shaft support, a large Ford style magnetic pickup, an adjustable mechanical advance and a cap with male (HEI style) plug wire terminals. The cap is held to the distributor housing with screws rather than clips. The cap is smaller than the Comp9000 cap but slightly larger than the small traditional Mallory cap. This distributor must be used with an ignition box such as Hyfire, Accel or MSD. Vacuum advance can be added if desired.

The 42 Series are similar to the 32 Series but also include a built-in electronic module (MBI) which is triggered by the magnetic pickup. This distributor can be used with or without an external box. It features an adjustable vacuum advance in addition to the adjustable mechanical advance. A lockout is included that allows the vacuum advance to be removed.

SB Mopar V8: 3257911, 4257911
B Block V8: 3257711, 4257711
RB and 426 Hemi V8: 3257811, 4257811

Cost depends on where you buy but the 32 Series will run about $240 and the 42 series about $260.
Old 11-20-2003, 03:59 PM
Banned

A few questions:
1. Where are they made?
2. What is the KV output on the 42 series at say 6000 RPM?
3. What coil do you recommend with say the MSD 6AL and what are the outputs at 7700.

Not trying to discredit you at all, I may send you one of our coils and boxes to test with the 32 series....or you could send me a 32 series and we'll test it with the 30 coils and boxes we have on the bench and give you a real good baseline for your distributor with other manufacturers components.

We test at 8000 RPM with the system plumbed into a 1500# presure vessel. It can really load it up and get simulated operating conditions.
Old 11-20-2003, 04:00 PM
Banned

Web site?????
Old 11-20-2003, 04:31 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by cuda66273
A few questions:
1. Where are they made?
2. What is the KV output on the 42 series at say 6000 RPM?
3. What coil do you recommend with say the MSD 6AL and what are the outputs at 7700.
1. These Mallory distributors are made in Carson City, Nevada. We make everything in-house from the cap and rotor to the module to the housing to the advance to the shaft right here. About the only thing we don't make in-house is the Ford style pickup used in the 32 Series.

2. The maximum output voltage to the plug is largely dependent on the coil you use. Changing the winding ratio and the inductance changes the voltage potential. Having a very high ratio and inductance produces more potential voltage at low rpm but makes the voltage fall off faster at increased rpm. If you need to run over about 6000 rpm (or have a blower, turbo or nitrous) an external box should be used. That way you can use a low inductance coil and rev high without loosing anything at low rpm.
Maximum output voltage is not really as important as people make it sound anyway. Once the voltage climbs high enough to jump the plug the voltage won't go any higher no matter who's ignition you use. Most of the time 15 or 20k is plenty. Having an ignition that will make more voltage won't do any better. So that "60,000 volt" ignition sounds impressive but if it only takes 20,000 to jump the plug, the "60,000 volt" system will only make 20,000 volts.
Sure, higher cylinder pressure requires higher voltage but it better not get over about 30,000 volts or you will crossfire in most distributor caps. Even the giant C9000 Mallory cap or the HEI GM cap will crossfire to the previus cylinder at around 45,000 volts so what is the point of having a "60,000 volt coil?

3. A Mallory Hyfire VI and a 29625 Mallory coil (used with either the 32 or 42 series distributor) will fire most V8 engines past 10,000 rpm (except maybe a blown nitromethane engine). Voltage to the coil is 520 volts. Peak secondary voltage is 45K.
Spark energy (which is a better measure than voltage) is 135 mJ per spark (it will multi spark up to about 3500 rpm).

Need even more spark energy? Use a Hyfire VII and a 28880 coil. This will provide 550 volts to the coil, 50,000 to the plugs, and 160mJ of spark energy. And unlike MSD. Mallory's Hyfire boxes require no chips to adjust the rev limiter. Plus, unlike the MSD 7, the Hyfire VII can be used on the street. The Hyfire VII and 28880 coil can produce spark enough for a 12,000 rpm V8.
Old 11-20-2003, 04:33 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Web site?????

www.mrgasket.com
Old 11-20-2003, 04:53 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

RobbMc;

Thanks for posting. You should have said you are an engineer for Mallory. Thanks for the web site .Anything else new for MoPar these days?
Old 11-20-2003, 05:23 PM
Banned

I agree with most of the facts but I see room for discussion someday on some of the opinions as to what is really needed for the wide band of usage most of us put our Mopar Muscle cars through....from city traffic and 70* temps to blasting down the drag strip at over a 100 MPH and shifting at 6500 to our friends in the great white north who try and drive these things in spring which is a blistering 20 above zero.....

A 15KV or 20 KV system wouldn't come close to doing the job that most of us demand...big cams, low cylinder pressure at idle, rich mixtures, high RPM and big cylinder pressures at the top end....then drive it home.

IMO....a good adaquate system for a Perfromance Mopar or Muscle car should have the ability to maintain a Minimum of 34-36 KV from idle to 7000 RPM and even more critical not retard the timing as so many of the fake Mopar ECU's do.

I'd like to test that 32 unit with our box and Coil I'll bet it will maintain over 40 KV up to 8000.

Rumble Quote:"Anything else new for MoPar these days?"

Please don't say Unilite.......I have nightmares about Unilite Distributors attacking me....the only way to kill them is with a power spike so I throw lightning bolts at them...the light goes out and I'm saved....

I'll come and look you up and Indy and pick your brain some. I need to see what makes them tick they sound like a good piece and I'm sure I'll be getting some in for curving.

Don
Old 11-20-2003, 06:12 PM
Inactive User

Default More New Stuff

Quote:
Originally posted by rumblefish360
RobbMc;

Thanks for posting. You should have said you are an engineer for Mallory. Thanks for the web site .Anything else new for MoPar these days?
Well, have you heard about the new HEI distributor we are coming out with for SB Mopar (except A body)? All billet housing, ball bearing shaft support, adjustable mechanical and vacuum advance and a built-in Hyfire box with rev limiter. Now you can have the entire ignition (distributor, coil, box, rev limiter) all in one piece. No ballast resistor required. Good to 9000 rpm plus. Part number 7557901. Available next month.

And although they are not really new, many people still don't know that Erson has complete needle bearing roller rockers for stock and aftermarket SB and BB Mopar V8 heads (standard, econo W2, W2, W5, Indy 440-1, Stage IV and V, B1-BS and B1).

And while it's not just for Mopar, have you seen the in-line return regulator and in-line fuel filter? The regulator splices into the return line, can be used with pumps up to 250 gph and has no diaphragm. The filter can be used in-line or screwed directly into the inlet of a Mallory pump.
Old 11-20-2003, 07:01 PM

Default " ???? " advance weights

My biggest problem with Mallory distrutors was that the advance weights pivot would bend / breakoff due to the top of pivot was not supported in anyway shape or form. Hope that malady was repaired.

denny
Old 11-20-2003, 07:23 PM
Inactive User

Default Re: " ???? " advance weights

Quote:
Originally posted by LA360Dart
My biggest problem with Mallory distrutors was that the advance weights pivot would bend / breakoff due to the top of pivot was not supported in anyway shape or form. Hope that malady was repaired.

denny
How long ago was this? Mallory used a "YL" advance from the late 1960's to the mid 1980's (even longer in marine distributors), a "YS" advance for a few years in the mid '80's, a "YT" from the late '80's to the mid '90's and the current advance ("YH") since then. The YH is the strongest of them all and the most adjustable. We see very few problems with the YH advance.
Old 11-20-2003, 07:26 PM

Default Oppps just gave up my age

It was in the late 70's thru the mid 80's. It scared me from Mallory products forever. The Uni/dark was a fairly new deal at that time.
Old 11-20-2003, 10:02 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Actually no. I really do not see anything advertised from/for Mallory, Erson and a few others under the Mr. Gasket company. I think it's a shame in that respect.
I went to the site for Mallory. Theres more distributors than I know what there about. It was confusing. To many models and different was of triggering and etc...

Let me give you my set up and you recomend a distrib set up.

Street/strip (Mostly street)
'73 Cuda 4spd w4.10's
.030, 360 @ 10.5-1
296/.525 solid w/roller rockers
1 3/4 headers
RPM heads and intake, 800 cfm

Looking for a vaccum advance unit for this 430+ HP combo.
Looking to take a step up and above the Chrome box.
Old 11-21-2003, 11:33 AM
Banned

Hey Rumble.....we're you asking me?

Stage 1 curve and phase your unit $69.00
FBO Ignition system....$99.00
Ballast resistor............$10.00
MSD 8MM wires...........$69.00
Total .... $247.00

This will deliver 42-46 KV up to 7700 RPM and hold the timing, at 8000 it will hold 38KV but loses 1* of timing.

How high are you going to twist it?
Old 11-21-2003, 04:29 PM

I've used a Mallory Unilight on my 440 with several differen boxes and engine combinations with NO issues. Heck, I bought the thing at Super Shops which should give you an idea of how old it is. I herd the rumors of the unilight module breaking so I purchased an extra just in case... never used it. Still sitting in my glove box.

Later,

Greg
Old 11-21-2003, 05:30 PM
Inactive User

Default Mallory Choices

Quote:
Originally posted by rumblefish360
Actually no. I really do not see anything advertised from/for Mallory, Erson and a few others under the Mr. Gasket company. I think it's a shame in that respect.
I went to the site for Mallory. Theres more distributors than I know what there about. It was confusing. To many models and different was of triggering and etc...

Let me give you my set up and you recomend a distrib set up.

Street/strip (Mostly street)
'73 Cuda 4spd w4.10's
.030, 360 @ 10.5-1
296/.525 solid w/roller rockers
1 3/4 headers
RPM heads and intake, 800 cfm

Looking for a vaccum advance unit for this 430+ HP combo.
Looking to take a step up and above the Chrome box.
Mallory has over 600 different distributor part numbers. And this doesn't even include the distributors we make for Accel, Mopar Performance, Ford Motorsports, etc. So it's easy to get overwhelmed with all the choices. There are so many different way that you could go with the Mallory products, even I am not sure which direction to send you.

Since you drive mostly on the street, having vacuum advance in addition to the mechanical advance can help with part throttle gas mileage. Other than that it has little effect.

Based on your intake and cam I would say you are revving to about 6500 rpm.

Since you have a 4 speed car, a rev limiter would be a good idea.

One route you could take would be the new billet HEI I mentioned before. It has a rev limiting Hyfire built into the distributor and requires only one wire to hook up. No ballast required.

But if you don't like the idea of a "GM" style distributor on your mopar, consider using a new MP distributor P3690430. It has the Mallory adjustable YH advance and vacuum advance and yet looks just about the same as a stock distributor. This distributor is very inexpensive through Summit etc.

Then, instead of using a Mopar style ignition box, use a Mallory Hyfire 3RLI. This is a very small box (not much bigger than the factory type boxes) but has higher energy spark and two built-in rev limiters. Use Promaster coil 29440. No ballast resistor required. The magnetic pickup in the MP distributor will trigger the Hyfire box directly.

If neither of these ideas appeals to you there are also at least a dozen other Mallory distributors for your engine and half a dozen other boxes with a rev limiter.
Old 11-21-2003, 07:56 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

cuda66273;

No, but I should have. Glad you answered. RPM limit is about 6500. This is a solid cam. And such, they hold HP a little longer than a Hyd. But that should be about it. Maybe finish line RPM could be higher.

RobbMc; Thank you. The choices are overwhelming.
Old 11-29-2003, 09:00 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by RobbMc
...Maximum output voltage is not really as important as people make it sound anyway. Once the voltage climbs high enough to jump the plug the voltage won't go any higher no matter who's ignition you use...Spark energy (which is a better measure than voltage)...
Finally, someone attempting to wash away some of the snake oil that's offered up in here.

Regards
Old 11-29-2003, 10:26 AM
Inactive User

I burnt out my unilite when I smashed the red wire under the valve cover after ajusting my valves after break in . I re-routed my wires to a switch to avoid a spike. The unilite has worked fine since. My engine builder tested the unilite when it came in, 50 deg. total advance. A bit more than I wanted. They say unilites are ajustable, How? Otherwise, I will go with one of Cuda's distributors. Providing I ever have money again.
Old 12-01-2003, 12:13 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by plydus340
I burnt out my unilite when I smashed the red wire under the valve cover after ajusting my valves after break in . I re-routed my wires to a switch to avoid a spike. The unilite has worked fine since. My engine builder tested the unilite when it came in, 50 deg. total advance. A bit more than I wanted. They say unilites are ajustable, How? Otherwise, I will go with one of Cuda's distributors. Providing I ever have money again.
The mechanical advance is adjustable and located under the Unilite plate.

The vacuum advance (if so equipped) is adjustable by inserting a 3/32 allen wrench into the nipple on the vacuum advance chamber.
Old 12-01-2003, 07:03 PM
Inactive User

Too bad Mallory is up in Carson City! I think you guys should move to Las Vegas! Then I'd go to work for you!

Oh yeah, and all those 440 Pro-Flo EFI kits that are shipping out have Mallory distributors in them!
Old 12-01-2003, 11:59 PM
Inactive User

Default Re: Mallory Choices

Quote:
Originally posted by RobbMc
Mallory has over 600 different distributor part numbers. And this doesn't even include the distributors we make for Accel, Mopar Performance, Ford Motorsports, etc.
So Mallory makes all the MPP & ACCEL Distributors??? Oh man is my brother gonna love that!! He has been a diehard Mallory Man for as long as I can remember. I also remember a heated conversation he had with a buddy about Accel vs. Mallory. Thats too funny.
Old 12-02-2003, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RogerH
Too bad Mallory is up in Carson City! I think you guys should move to Las Vegas! Then I'd go to work for you!

Oh yeah, and all those 440 Pro-Flo EFI kits that are shipping out have Mallory distributors in them!
Roger,

I have an AAS in Electronics Engineering and have some experience (7 years) at a major semiconductor manufacturer. I'd like to go back to school next year (possibly ME or EE). What do you recommend for a career in the automotive aftermarket parts industry? I'm not sure that I'm ready for a switch, but would like to explore my options. Also, if you don't mind what kind of pay range could I expect?

Thanks,

Greg
Old 12-02-2003, 02:21 AM
Banned

Roger and Robb

Are you Guy's going to be at the PRI show?

Rumble...I have all the numbers now documented.

One of the components we tested was the Mallory coil.....as well as the Acell.

You will find the side by side very interesting

I'll email you a copy when I get back from Indy....don't let me forget, send me an email as a reminded.
Old 12-02-2003, 02:48 AM
Inactive User

Default ?

I don't want to hijack the thread, but I have no other options.

RobbMC, I have a possible problem with a Unilite installation in another non-Mopar application. I've tried the tech line a couple of times, but all I get is a stiff, who doesn't answer my questions, at all. Would you be so kind as to e-mail me?
fglmopar@aol.com

Thanks for your consideration.
Old 12-02-2003, 12:20 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by gsmopar
What do you recommend for a career in the automotive aftermarket parts industry? I'm not sure that I'm ready for a switch, but would like to explore my options. Also, if you don't mind what kind of pay range could I expect?
Pay??? You want to work on cars and get paid too?? LOL....oh, it depends so much on the company. My experience is look forward to always being underpaid. Can't decide between an EE or ME? Wow, they are two totally different worlds. ME or will mostly do 3D design work and design the hard parts, where a EE would design circuit boards and write software.

No, I'm not going to be at PRI. I think two engineers are going, but I'm not going to be one of them. Some product of mine will be there, like my two new 455 olds Victor manifolds.
Old 12-02-2003, 12:49 PM
Inactive User

Default Re: Re: Mallory Choices

Quote:
Originally posted by DARTGT431
So Mallory makes all the MPP & ACCEL Distributors??? Oh man is my brother gonna love that!! He has been a diehard Mallory Man for as long as I can remember. I also remember a heated conversation he had with a buddy about Accel vs. Mallory. Thats too funny.
The Accel distributors have been designed and manufactured by Mallory only for the last four years or so. Before that, Accel and Mallory were completely different companies.

Even though I do most of the mechanical design work for both Mallory and Accel, the distributors still have some differences due to two different marketing and sales departments. The guys who market Accel ask for different features than the guys who market Mallory. On the other hand, the distributors have much more in common than they did four years ago. I like to use common parts whenever I can and still satisfy the marketing people.
Old 12-02-2003, 12:58 PM
Inactive User

Quote:

Roger, I don't know if you would want to work here or not. You might have to get a second job to make ends meet!

I did the design work on those Edelbrock EFI distributors. You probably already know this but those distributors will accept a large Comp9000 cap and rotor too. Make sure to use a "vacuum advance" rotor with the t-blade.

I just sent two more prototype EFI distributors to Edelbrock for testing. (AMC and Pontiac). Oops. Was I supposed to leak that?
Old 12-02-2003, 01:02 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Roger and Robb

Are you Guy's going to be at the PRI show?

Rumble...I have all the numbers now documented.

One of the components we tested was the Mallory coil.....as well as the Acell.

You will find the side by side very interesting

I'll email you a copy when I get back from Indy....don't let me forget, send me an email as a reminded.
I won't be at the PRI show. They seldom let me out in public. But you can talk to Mike Golding. He is the product manager for Mallory and knows most of the specs.
Old 12-02-2003, 01:12 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
No, I'm not going to be at PRI. I think two engineers are going, but I'm not going to be one of them. Some product of mine will be there, like my two new 455 olds Victor manifolds.
Since I happen to own a 442 with a 455, I must thank you for releasing the heads and now the intake manifolds. However, why not a Victor JR? Those Victor intakes look TALL! I don't suppose they will fit under a stock hood will they? I picked up a used Torqer. Those "dog leg" runners on the outer cylinders don't look too flow friendly. Does the "dog leg" effect flow significantly?

(Sorry for talking about Olds on a Mopar forum. Roger started it!)
Old 12-02-2003, 01:21 PM
Inactive User

Oh yeah, the 455 Victor manifolds are a huge improvement. I actually have not had them on the flow bench. I sent a couple manifolds to Mondello, and he tested them compared to a ported intake manifold with 200 hours of work on it. The Victor manifold actually outflowed it above .500 lift! Stock hood? That engine would have to sit awefully low to fit a manifold that's over 8" tall! Its a pure racing manifold, or for jet boats.

I had a 455 torker on a jet boat back in the college days, it ran real well, wish I still had it to put this manifold on though!