Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-20-2003, 11:45 PM

rolleyes SB Roller Camshaft

Hello !!!
Can swap LA and Magnum roller camshaft?
Old 11-21-2003, 01:45 AM
Inactive User

Magnum cams do not use a fuel pump eccentric.
Old 11-21-2003, 02:01 AM
Inactive User

Do you want to put a magnum roller in an LA block or a LA cam in a magnum block?

I will assume you want a magnum roller in an LA block. I haven't tried this but I did stick a magnum roller and lifter in a 340 block for a test fit. From what I can figure the tops of the lifter bores will need to be machined flat to allow the lifter plates to be installed properly (these are the plates that keep the roller lifters from turning in their bores). As well you would need to have a method of attaching the spider into the intake valley. In the magnums there are three cast in pedistals that this mounts to. A little machining and a drill and tap and a spcer would fix this. The last thing would be to buy the fuel pump eccentic kit from hughes engines to allow the fuel pump eccentric to be installed on the magnum cam. All the other stuff will fit including timing gears, cam thrust plate etc.

One other issue is that magnums come stock with 1.6 ratio rockers, so unless you also go with the magnum heads, you will be giving up some lift.
Old 11-21-2003, 11:34 AM

A buddy bought a 360/380hp with cams and lifters broken.
He wanted to know if he can use LA camshafts with Magnum block and Magnum lifters, because the variety of manufacturers and grinds.
Old 11-21-2003, 11:40 AM
Inactive User

I have bought two rollers from these guys. They are good.

http://www.hughesengines.com/

Don't email them, have to call
Old 11-21-2003, 10:54 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

You would have to use the correct liffter for this. You first need to oil through the pushrod. For Hyd. cams, an AMC liffter works perfrect. MoPar sells the correct pushrods.
You can not use roller liffters on a Hyd. cam.
Old 11-21-2003, 11:23 PM

Excuse, perhaps by problems with the language I cannot be expressed and understand well.
LA roller camshaft --->> Magnum block with Magnum roller lifter.... ok?
It's possible?
Thanks for your patience
Old 11-22-2003, 12:49 AM
Inactive User

What type of roller, stock or aftermarket?
Old 11-22-2003, 08:01 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

madmax2;

Yes, the language is a little ruff to understand. Sorry.

The way you explained it here..
Quote:
LA roller camshaft --->> Magnum block with Magnum roller lifter.... ok?
An "LA" roller cam. Into a Magnum engine. Can you use the Magnum roller liffters?
I think so. I'll have to take a back seat on this one. I can't be sure. I'll try to call MoPar on this for ya. Monday, I should be off during the day time hours to call them up and ask.
Old 11-24-2003, 11:23 PM

Laugh

Let us begin by the beginning.
I need an hydraulic roller camshaft for a magnum 360/380hp. I want to get a little more of 400 hp
The LA Hyd Roller camshaft are equal to the magnum Hyd Roller camshaf?
Are they interchangeable?
Can I use LA Hyd Roller camshaft with magnum lifters?
Mopar has only 2 cams (not stock) for magnum 380 in the catalogue.
It's all
Old 11-25-2003, 11:18 AM
Inactive User

The LA hyd roller and the magnum hyd roller lifters are the same and interchangeable. You can reuse old roller lifters (as long as they are in good shape) on new cams to save money. The cams will fit in the block and work, but as I mentioned before about the rocker ratio differences.

I would check out the hughes engines website as they have many roller cams available for magnums. You can save a bit of money as the Mopar cams are expensive because they come with lifters. The hughes cams can be bought without lifters. T
Old 11-25-2003, 02:13 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by 340duster1
Do you want to put a magnum roller in an LA block or a LA cam in a magnum block?

I will assume you want a magnum roller in an LA block. I haven't tried this but I did stick a magnum roller and lifter in a 340 block for a test fit. From what I can figure the tops of the lifter bores will need to be machined flat to allow the lifter plates to be installed properly (these are the plates that keep the roller lifters from turning in their bores). As well you would need to have a method of attaching the spider into the intake valley. In the magnums there are three cast in pedistals that this mounts to. A little machining and a drill and tap and a spcer would fix this. The last thing would be to buy the fuel pump eccentic kit from hughes engines to allow the fuel pump eccentric to be installed on the magnum cam. All the other stuff will fit including timing gears, cam thrust plate etc.

One other issue is that magnums come stock with 1.6 ratio rockers, so unless you also go with the magnum heads, you will be giving up some lift.

First, Hughes are jerks and will not see a dime from me.

Second, factory roller lifters won't work in an LA block. They are too tall and will expose the oil transfer slot = no oil pressure.
Old 11-25-2003, 02:35 PM
Inactive User

moparhead - dude - read the postings again. The question was a LA hyd roller engine, and hyd roller magnum engine. Not a flat tappet LA engine.

And Hughes was very good to me.
Old 11-25-2003, 02:48 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
I haven't tried this but I did stick a magnum roller and lifter in a 340 block for a test fit. From what I can figure the tops of the lifter bores will need to be machined flat to allow the lifter plates to be installed properly (these are the plates that keep the roller lifters from turning in their bores). As well you would need to have a method of attaching the spider into the intake valley. In the magnums there are three cast in pedistals that this mounts to. A little machining and a drill and tap and a spcer would fix this.
I know what the thread is about. I posted that because I don't want people to think you can just pop Magnum or late LA roller lifters in an LA block and expect it to work because it won't. The lifter bosses cast into the block are too short to use the tall factory roller lifters.

FYI, CAT is supposed to have a retofit LA hyd roller lifter in early 2004. Crane has them now, but they are pretty spendy.
Old 11-25-2003, 03:31 PM

Ok buddys, very thanks to all.
Have a nice Thanksgiving Day