Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-26-2003, 03:44 PM

Smile Torque boxes for F/M/J body cars anyone???

Guys, I just talked to Dave at AutoRustTech about doing a run of torque boxes for our F/M/J body cars. He's willing to extend us the current special they got going for the "other" Mopars...

So for $199 you could purchase the 4 torque boxes. He's given me some details on a minimum number of orders he needs to see, as well as some extra info on their frame connectors as well. I'm not sure if I can post the details here (mostly since I don't want the mods to kill this post, but if it's OK to do so let me know please...)

PM or email me please if you're interested in this buy.
Old 11-26-2003, 10:59 PM
Inactive User

PM is disabled?
I would like a set, maybe 2.
Old 11-26-2003, 11:36 PM

Hey Bill!

I just checked and PM is ON...not sure what's going wrong.

Anyways, please email me: dariusz@mnsi.net, I'm trying to get a list of folks together for this group buy.

Thanks!
Old 11-27-2003, 12:12 AM
Inactive User

Default torque box?

well i guess if i have to ask what one is ;i likely dont need it....

but just for shits and giggles what is it..whats it do...and why would i want it?

ive got a "M" so im curious...
Old 11-27-2003, 12:45 AM

SK:
There is a great writeup on these things in the latest Mopar Action issue.

Basically these "brackets" for a lack of better description (although the item actually looks more like a metal box with one end open) are welded in the corner of the front and rear frame rail to rocker panel connection. This basically enforces the rigidity of the frame by not allowing it to twist/flex as easily as it would w/o these in place.
Old 11-27-2003, 01:16 AM
Banned

If you run sub frame connectors there's no need for them. They just add weight since they wont take the load. The sub frame connectors take all of the load. These were only overed on Hemi, Six pack and convertable cars. They are made these days for restoring purposes and you really dont need to waste your money on them
Old 11-27-2003, 02:25 AM
Inactive User

ahhhh....ok thanks fellas

yep seeing as how im not churning enough torque and horsepower to twist my car at all..i was right they werent needed...

but if i ever order that new hemi crate motor and strap on that paxton charger ive been eyeballin ill know what to buy to keep this old cop car from flexin too bad.
Old 11-27-2003, 10:44 AM

dwc43:
I could not disagree more...

Why do you think these were offered on either the high-power cars or cars that needed the extra chassis reinforcement? They also did come on police/fleet vehicles.

I've been told that torque boxes are as effective as frame connectors in preventing chassis flex. A definite benefit of installing them over frame connectors is that they are fairly unobtrusive, and do not stand out in the way frame connectors do. Good way to fix up the chassis while remaining fairly stock looking.

I do plan on installing frame connectors on my M-body, followed possibly by the torque boxes, of course that depending if there will be enough interest generated in such a purchase.
Old 11-27-2003, 11:23 AM
Banned

They did not come installed on police cars. I know, I drive them. I also have one of my old cruisers behind my storage building and there are no torque boxes on it either. THe reson they were not installed on all cars is that they dont really work. They were only used from '69 to '71 as far as I can tell from what little research I did on them. True they do not show like sub frame conbnector does, but they also dont work like a sub frame connector either.
Old 11-27-2003, 11:30 AM

Just for clarification I'm not talking M-body police cars.

Hey...everyone's entitled to their opinion, conceptually the use of these makes sense to me...maybe it's not a day/night difference if that's what you were looking for.
Old 11-27-2003, 11:38 AM
Banned

That's what we are looking for or else it does not justify spending the money on. I can get 30.oo in box tubbing and weld in my own sub frame connectors or buy them and when I'm done you can place a jack near on wheel and get three of them off the ground. If you add the t boxes you'll still do good to get two wheels of the ground. IF the chassis still flexes that much then you wasted your money. Since any thing you do as a set up towards better handling or racing will not work to your advantage with the flexing chassis. Had to scrap a race car one time for that vary reason. It got so bad you could see the right front go from neg to pos camber in the corner and no amount of adjustment could overcome the flexing chassis.