Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Diesel & Turbo Diesel Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-27-2003, 12:39 AM
Inactive User

Default cummings gone?

I was at the dealer yesterday talking with the salesman, he told me cummings is gone, they can't even get a ctd truck. Dodge hasn't said what the replacement is either. Anyone else hear this?
Old 11-27-2003, 01:30 AM
Banned

wow

So WHAT diesel motor did the sales guy SAY was in the trucks now ??

a Duramax?
Old 11-27-2003, 03:19 AM
Inactive User

I read somwhere that the 04 model year trucks would have a Mercedes diesel engine.
Old 11-28-2003, 04:25 PM

According to the Dodge website, the Cummins is still the diesel they're using in '04.
Old 11-28-2003, 06:47 PM
Inactive User

I work at a dodge dealer and the CTD is the engine we are using in the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks for as far in the future as they can see.
Dodge has the option to renew the contracts whenever they run out, and as popular as the CTD is they are not going to change.
Now I have heard that they are thinking about making 2 and 3 ton trucks and then running the Mercedes or a Detroit diesel in those trucks.
One of our techs just came back from the new common rail fuel system class, the instructor told him that at the first of the year, all trucks will be the H.O. diesels, auto and manuals.
Plan on having the CTD for a long time.
Old 11-29-2003, 12:56 AM
Inactive User

Here is what your looking for,taken right from Cummins homepage.Their original contract with Ma Mopar was thru 2007 and it is suspected this will extend it further,altough it is not mentioned here.....

CUMMINS INC. EXCLUSIVE DIESEL ENGINE SUPPLY AGREEMENT EXTENDED BY DAIMLERCHRYSLER

For Immediate Release

Columbus, IN - 27 Oct 2003

Cummins Inc. (NYSE:CUM - News) today announced that it has extended its exclusive supply agreement with DaimlerChrysler Corporation's Chrysler Group for diesel engines used in the Dodge Ram heavy-duty pickup truck. Although specific terms of the agreement were not disclosed, the engine system agreement includes consideration of Cummins as a supplier for the diesel engine aftertreatment system. The agreement additionally paves the way for collaboration on diesel engine technology beyond the length of the contract.

Cummins supplies the 5.9 liter turbodiesel for use in the Dodge Ram 2500 and 3500 Series pickup trucks. The diesel engine exhaust system components under consideration would be provided by Fleetguard, a wholly-owned Cummins business unit. Earlier this year, Cummins shipped its one millionth diesel engine for the Dodge Ram, which was named the Motor Trend Magazine's 2003 Truck of the Year.

"We continue to invest in the right technologies to ensure that our capabilities to integrate diesel engines and systems for the Dodge Ram are second to none," said Joe Loughrey, Cummins President - Engine Business. "This agreement builds on our 15-year relationship with the Chrysler Group and recognizes the value of our partnership."

Cummins Inc., a global power leader, is a corporation of complementary business units that design, manufacture, distribute and service engines and related technologies, including fuel systems, controls, air handling, filtration, emission solutions and electrical power generation systems. Headquartered in Columbus, Indiana, (USA) Cummins serves its customers through more than 500 company-owned and independent distributor locations in 131 countries and territories. With 23,700 employees worldwide, Cummins reported sales of $5.9 billion in 2002. Press releases can be found by accessing the Cummins home page at http://www.cummins.com.
Old 11-29-2003, 02:03 AM
Inactive User

Thats good too know since my dad just bought a new one last year.....
Old 11-29-2003, 10:23 AM
Inactive User

Maybe he meant he couldn't get one.. I know up here everyone in offering 60 monthes 0% financing on Deisels except Dodge..

finding a cummins can actually be a chore some times..

Good thing I got mine early in the year

Blygy
Old 11-29-2003, 11:33 AM
Inactive User

I don't know, that's just what that dealer told me. He definately told me cummings pulled out. Maybe he's just stupid.

Thanks for all the info.
Old 11-29-2003, 07:05 PM
Inactive User

Just found the article again b. Suaser was correct, it was talking about the concept 2 and 3 ton trucks. It was a local truck magizene here in pensacola. It also mentioned Daimler buying detriot diesel, but I don't know if thats true or not.
Old 11-29-2003, 07:40 PM

I believe there is a plan to market a full sized Dodge van that currently runs under the Mercedes and Freightliner label. It has a Mercedes diesel powerplant.
Old 11-29-2003, 07:51 PM
Banned

Those salesman 30 years as aMopar pts mgr and the Definition of acar salesmen " Is a 60k a year empty Suit", they only try and sell what the got, some dont even know the Difference betweeen a caravan and a b200 van.
Old 11-30-2003, 12:50 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by John Kunkel
I believe there is a plan to market a full sized Dodge van that currently runs under the Mercedes and Freightliner label. It has a Mercedes diesel powerplant.
They are already making them and they are on the road. It is called a Sprinter.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:34 AM
Inactive User

It's CUMMINS. not cummings.
Old 12-01-2003, 03:26 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by Dartcustom
Yea, Damn it!
Old 12-01-2003, 03:27 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by Dartcustom
Yea, Damn it!
Old 12-02-2003, 09:57 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by Blygy
Maybe he meant he couldn't get one.. I know up here everyone in offering 60 monthes 0% financing on Deisels except Dodge..

finding a cummins can actually be a chore some times..

Good thing I got mine early in the year

Blygy
That's exactly what he meant whethere he knew it or not. DC cut off orders for the '04 trucks on 11/21. DC has a new version of the CTD coming out after the first of the year for '04.5-05 that will comply with EPA requirements. Rumore are rampant that it will be an EGR motor, that it won't be an EGR motor, that it will use some sort of Fleetguard particlulate control system, that it will have 325 hp and 600 ft pounds torque. The "Official" announcement abou the new motor will be, according to rumor, December 10th.

There is lots of CTD info on the TDR website or diesel truck resource.

http://turbodieselregister.com/

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/yabbse/index.php